“Great party...awful breakfast!”
Review of King's Croft Hotel

King's Croft Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Pontefract
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We held a famly reunion here at the weekend & have mixed feelings about the hotel.
The Party - great atmosphere due to a busy room and excellent band. The DJ was also great & had us dancing until the end.
The food - the party food was plentiful, simple roast done well with generous portions. The breakfast however...appauling! Not only was the whole thing self service - the staff can't even pour you a fresh pot of tea, but the standard of the food was terrible. The eggs rubbery, beans cold & cheap, bacon all over cooked & everything drippig in grease. After a good party night you need a good breakfast to set you up for the day...not here! The orange juice was Asda smart price (openly filled up in plain view). Very sad.
The room - looked lovely but far too hot & only a door to let the air in so no window available. Having looked everywhere for heating controls we finally found them in the skirting board.
Staff - the most disappointing part was the lack of personality from any staff - there were no pleasantries - all faceless zombies.

If the party hadn't been so good due to a cracking back & great crowd plus a full belly it would have been a huge disappointment.

Room Tip: We only saw our room & the bridal suite - this looked lovely with a massive four poster.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was our second visit in just over a month, the first visit was excellent the second was good but the let down was the reception and room. The room was ok until the next morning when we tried to use the shower and no water came out until 10 minutes later and there was a fan that started up at 5.30am that woke me up. The food was excellent both breakfast and dinner.
We will go back but will avoid that room, we will ask for one of the new bungalow rooms we had last time they were great.

Room Tip: choose one of the new bungalows they are great
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tetley1455
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We recently got married and Kings Croft - one word AMAZING. The food is to die for, nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff, including the owner, and everything was exactly as we planned it, and every little detail we wanted just happened. We would totally recommend anyone considering Kings Croft for any kind of function, including the best day of your lives. The bedrooms are also very clean, comfortable and has everything you could want. Bridal suite is perfect.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2013

If you want to good night sleep!! I arrived at the hotel and the entrance was packed with a wedding reception, I meandered my way through and was shown to my room. Exceptionally clean and plenty of space and I have only good things to say about my room, the bed was as good as home, in the evening I had a beer in the bar, nightmare, wedding reception bounding out of one room and a kids party from the other bouncing in the middle!! I then went to my room and all night I could hear was either the music, DJ, men's loo door or hand wash machine until I slept at some ungodly hour. If the hotel had said this could be a problem I wouldn't have booked as I need a fresh early start. A massive let down and although I mentioned it to the girl on reception I doubt anything will change. The owner certainly wasn't interested. Breakfast was ok with excellent service. What a shame the hotel let itself down as it could have been really good....

Room Tip: Avoid any room when a wedding is on!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The booking system for this hotel is seriously flawed, their customer service at reception is impersonal but their food is good.
I booked for two nights 3 months ago for my brother's wedding which was actually at the hotel. A week before the day, I phoned the hotel to check my booking only to be told I was not booked in for the first night. They did book me into the Kyte (please see my other review) at my own expense and offered me an early check-in so I could still get ready for the wedding.
When I arrived with my husband and two children for our early check-in I was told the room wasn't ready. It still wasn't ready half an hour before the wedding! We weren't even offered a complimentary drink at the bar. Not even an apology. I had to ask to use another wedding guest's room. When we did gain access to our room, it was made up for two; not four. Another trip to reception...again no apology or attempt to recompense. Poor. I refused to allow this to ruin my brother's wedding for me (despite having already shed tears) and I resolved to explain my dissatisfaction at check-out. So, after a really lovely breakfast the following morning, I went to check out. The receptionist didn't even get eye contact with me. She shoved my bill in front of me and answered an external call! She did not ask me if I enjoyed my stay (my cue to explain), nor did she apologise for their list of mistakes. Had the Kings Croft made any attempt to put things right for me, I would not be complaining in this forum. Shame on them.
*please note the burnt egg in my profile picture is not from this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms seem comparable.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Communication on the run up to wedding was fantastic putting us totally at ease, reassured that everything was under control. Staff couldn't do enough to help us especially myself who the owner, Shaun had described as "The most nervous groom he had ever met" My wife and I would especially like to thank Richard who we feel went above and beyond the duties expected of him to make our day so, so special.
Loads of our guests have fed back to us how impressed they were with the food and hospitality provided some older members of our family going as far as to state ours was the best wedding they have ever attended .
.Thank you again for being so flexible in helping us create our dream wedding .

Room Tip: No family members made any complaints or negative remarks about any room they stayed in on attending...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My partner and I stayed overnight whilst visiting family, beautiful hotel and gardens, clean room, absolutely gorgious breakfast, just far too big. Definatly worth the money and will certainly stay again. The thing that made it for us, was the chat we had with Brenda at breakfast, she was very professional and personable at the same time, definatly an assert to the business, Thankyou so much :)

• Stayed: October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontefract
Best Western Plus Rogerthorpe Manor Hotel
Good Night Inns Darrington Hotel
Rolands Croft Guest House
Rolands Croft Guest House
#3 of 3 in Pontefract

Been to King's Croft Hotel? Share your experiences!