“'Excellent food and good value for money'”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Samsi Yakitori - CLOSED

Samsi Yakitori
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: SAMSI has been trading for 19 years in April, specialising in Japanese cuisine and food stuff. It began as an award-winning restaurant, which quickly expanded into four different cities in the North west of England. In response to customer request we began importing and selling ingredients in retail sizes while continuing to search Japan for the highest quality restaurant ingredients.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“'Excellent food and good value for money'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

'I have been visiting this restaurant for over 5 years and go back time and time again for their early diner offer. The food is excellent, the staff are always friendly and the early diner offer is great value for money.'

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank XSarahJX

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Decent first trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I visited yesterday as we are going away to Japan next year. We normally eat Indian when we dine out so we are trying to get used to the Japanese dishes/food we will probably end up eating while away. After all, it would be silly going all the way to Japan for MacDonalds!

It is quite simple inside; too simple even. I am a lover of Japanese art and imagery yet this place just seem to didn't bring Japan to Wilmslow. Walls are simple, white-washed with splashes of red, and while the hostesses do wear robes, it just didn't "feel" or offer what I'd deem to be an authentic taste of Japan. It needs to offer more in terms of visual stimulus: bits of art (Hokusai's wave, a Daruma doll, a Bushido scroll, a dragon... Just any little artefacts that make it feel Japanese). It could have been an Italian when we walked in if it wasn't for the waitresses' robes or chopsticks on our table!!!

Food-wise, the menus have a good mix of dishes. However, we were disappointed to find that, after spending a good 5-10 minutes perusing the menu, that what we actually wanted from their menu was unavailable. Apparently, they don't do the "Bento Boxes" (a mix of food in a segmented box that offers a good balanced meal) because these are served at lunchtime only. Given that Samsi Wilmslow is only open after 5pm every day, I asked why it was on the menu to be told that the menus are generic ones and they use these at other restaurants -the Manchester restaurant offers Bento Boxes as they are open for lunch. Perhaps they need their own menus for the Wilmslow one?

Food came fairly quick but I must admit, I was a bit disappointed that I told the waitress I am not a fan of fish (while enquiring about dishes/placing our order) but then when our "chef's choice" sushi came it was ALL fish. I did eat the sushi as, again, I have to be open-minded with our impending holiday, but you could argue that had she been attentive, a word with the chef might have meant I'd get just one or two fish pieces. It wasn't until after I'd eaten the sushi, for instance, that I discover I had eaten octopus. It was good to broaden my horizons, but I'd have liked my per ended catered for a little more.

Other than that, the food was good. I can't say I have had that much Japanese food and hence can't really offer it in comparison to other places. What I can say is that we did enjoy the experience and will probably try the Samsi in Manchester in the not too distant future.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank David M
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Poor Service all the time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

When you go to this restaurant be careful as there standards are slipping!!!! the food it self i ok but the service of the staff are terrible they constantly forget things i.e 9 out of 10 time if you order a take away something will be missing and its not on the odd occasion its all the time. Like tonight just ordered a takeaway sat there waiting for it 30mins i asked one of the staff member when bringing me my food is everything there oh yes sir what happens we get home things are missing!!! unfortunately Sami has had enough chances and they will not be getting any more of my money. The staff hem self are young and don't seem bothered or actually listen to what you say to them if you ask them a question it takes 10minutes for it to register and then there come back and answer like excuse me can i have a drink they say one moment and then you are still waiting 15 minutes later. Nice food but service lets this place down Big style such a shame.!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank lee2680
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Super food - again and again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Have takeaway sushi from here at least every month - took toddler and husband to restaurant and they loved it...despite husband reiterating how much he detests this kind of food. . Husband had chicken spicy noodle dish which he loved whilst i filled up on my favourite sushi. Staff fantastic and eager to help. Service superb. Cannot recommend prawn tempura roll enough and have eaten this all over. California rolls superb - if you have only every eaten supermarket stuff you're in for a treat. Yellowfin tuna sashimi a must. Great place for casual, consistent top food. can;t wait to go again.

• Visited July 2013
Cheshire England
“Only ok. Nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Food is plentiful and the service good ...fairly good value too!

Not the best Japanese food experience we have had though

• Visited June 2013