“Not as good as it used to be”
Review of Unicorn

Unicorn
Ranked #16 of 92 Restaurants in Wilmslow
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Over the years The Unicorn has suffered from various changes of hands. Its now a chef and Brewer, and has their corporate menu. Not too long ago, it had a far better menu, but its now stuck with the usual offerings.
Having said that the food was good, hot and the Sunday lunch was certainly plentiful. Service was OK, but not outstanding.
I think the whole thing was summed up in the lack of crowds there, perhaps too many remember the better days of independence.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Unicorn, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear Gary L,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise for the portion of service you received at the Unicorn. We have passed on your comments to our management team and have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Read the reviews before coming to the unicorn but know friends that visit frequently and got told that it was under new management including the kitchen. I used to come years ago which was always a great choice so decided to give it a go again.

I chose the rib of beef which was delightful and would appeal to everyone! i strongly advise this meal as it fell straighty off the bone. My wife chose the seafood mixed grill which had a great selection of fish and was presented wonderfully. I spoke to the manager Jason about the reason change of hands and he assured me that a new team had been put in place and that there would be a refurbishment around september/october time.

On departure we goty asked to join the email club of which we have recently received our first 20% off voucher which we are looking forward to using on our return visit!

1  Thank Alexandra C
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Wasn't impressed with either the food or the service. Ordered a greek salad with pitta and at £8.50 I would of expected it to be ok. After about 40 minutes wait the salads arrived. It had 2 very small pieces of feta and the rest was rubbery cheddar cut so small in the hope i wouldn't notice the difference. The pitta was a few small pieces mixed in the salad. I asked if i could have a full pitta but told no, as this is how it comes. Overpriced bowl of leaves and olives.

2  Thank thekirkys
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We went to the Unicorn for Sunday lunch and arrived at about 12.30p.m. and noticed that there were not many cars in the car park Thought this was a bit strange as we have been here before and it was usually busy. Went in to find that we were probably the only customers.

We made out choices and the food arrived pretty quickly. My husband ordered a platter of various fish items. The waitress placed it in front of him and I noticed that it was missing a roll mop herring and smoked salmon. The waitress admitted that she had know idea what a roll mop herring was and stood looking at us. I suggested that she go and tell someone. Off she went to the kitchen and brought a roll mop but the chef couldn't supply the smoked salmon as it was still in the freezer and asked if we wanted some thing else which we declined.

I had opted for the roast beef which was a very sm\all portion served with mashed new and roast potatoes 2 yorkshire puddings and unapplealing yellow brocolli and carrots that were undercooked (for my taste at least) all topped by very thick lumpy gravy.

Half way though another waitress asked if our food was O.K. We said that we weren't happy and again we had the feeling that she had no idea how to deal with a complaint. She did apologise but I suggested that she mention it to the manager.

She returned and apoligised and gave us a full refund, which we were not expecting.

I get the feeling that the writing is on the wall for this restaurant and unfortunately we won't be returning.

2  Thank Travellers-Chick
Reviewed April 21, 2012

W are supporters of local eateries and although I have eaten here for lunch before (typical average experience of a chain restaurant), we decided to have a family meal here as we were meeting up with friends.

It started badly when the manager couldn't take our order because he was looking for a pen. Then after a number of requests a waiter manage to come but could only take our order from memory - he didn't have a pen either! The drinks waitress was very pleasant but took quite a long time to get our drinks and had apologised - due to no clean wine glasses.

When our meal finally came it was overcooked and very dried out. My surf n turf was well done (when asked for medium) and came with 2 King Prawns which were fishy tasting, suggesting not fresh, luke warm chips and a bit of rocket, that was it! My wife's partridge (a special) was again overcooked and incredibly dry, suggesting a reheated dish. My son's 'medley of meats' was again overcooked and incredibly dry but also comes with identical taste, so much for the description.

I do feel sorry for staff who are trying to adhere to some corporate formula as this Chef and Brewer was trying to do as it surely didn't work and offered very poor levels of food. I can see why there was only another 2 tables during 8.00pm Friday night. Certainly wont be returning and cant see this establishment remaining open for much longer.

Very sad state of affairs.

1  Thank TMY_Manchester