“Customer processing, not service”
Review of Boddington Arms

Boddington Arms
Ranked #58 of 92 Restaurants in Wilmslow
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
South Wales
“Customer processing, not service”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We were staying at the Premier Inn next door. We've stayed in a few and as always they seem to be next to a pub that doubles as the restaurant/dining area. That's what the Boddington is.
Typical 'pub grub' and service - you find a table, order and pay before the meal. If you have a carvery you're handed a token to present at the meat counter. I 'went large' which meant additional meat and a few extras, none of which I got ( I only found out because my wife - who did not 'go large' came back to our table with the same amounts as me ). Only an extra £1.50 and I didn't quibble - I'd started eating, after all. We arrived at midday, so the food should have been freshly prepared yet the chef had to remove a fair layer of meat from the joints we had, due to it being dried up, and some of the veg were like that. The quality was average, so I assume that the many people who arrived in the next hour or so had a bit of a hit and miss regarding whether what was on offer had just been replenished or there for some time.
We went there at 6pm for a drink and it was in the middle of the happy time (4 - 7pm) where the Carvery was half price. It was chaos, with queues of about 20 people waiting to be served and almost every table taken. Certainly value for money at £4.95 - if you can put up with the melee.
I'm afraid that the Boddington doesn't seem to have enough staff or be that well organised, and it's not what I would call a restaurant, despite having a separate dining area.
It's no worse than most 'grub pubs' but certainly no better.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank WhiteRocke

St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“bloody good grub”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

another great find whilst waiting to for flights at manchester airport car parks this was the best food i had eaten for two weeks bloody great if i go to Wilmslow again i will go here without going anywhere else

• Visited July 2012
UK
“Absolute farce. Will never return.”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Myself and a good friend decided that as it was Sunday we’d treat ourselves to a carvery. My friend had a look online and found the Boddington Arms in Wilmslow. I was wary as I live in Stretford and it’s a fairly long way away but we thought why not. Upon arrival we were impressed with the exterior and outdoor seating areas. The gentlemen at the bar seemed friendly and we ordered some drinks. A man in glasses then approached us and asked if we were in the queue for the carvery. We explained we had not been before and asked him to explain the procedure. He said that in the restaurant there is a table service and that we could eat in the bar area or in the restaurant area, he seemed to be discouraging us from sitting in the restaurant area as he said there was a lack of staff. We just wanted a carvery however which does not require a table service; it’s a self service system. We paid for 2 carveries at the bar which I believe came to £17.97 (or thereabouts) which was pretty pricey in my opinion but I assumed it would be fantastic food. We then got into the queue to enter the restaurant part of the pub. When we got to the front of the queue we were told (in a very abrupt and patronising manner) that because we had paid for our carveries at the bar we were not allowed to enter the restaurant area and that “I tried to tell you this earlier” (he may well have TRIED to explain this earlier but didn’t do a very good job, he rushed through the procedure with us and was most unwelcoming and very unclear) again this was the short chap in glasses. We had to eat in the bar area. I really did not understand this as there were plenty of tables that I could see in the restaurant, we just wanted to get our food and sit down at a table. We then queued up at the carvery to get our meat. The man serving the meat seemed rushed and angry. When he did serve me my meat he literally sliced it wafer thin, it was ridiculous. The lady before me asked if she could have a sausage and he barked “they’re not ready yet so we haven’t got any”, she explained she would wait and they literally arrived 5 seconds later. I’m not exaggerating when I say he was slapping the meat onto the plate as though the whole thing was some mad rush. The queue wasn’t even that big. I then served myself the veg and went to sit down in the bar area. The floor was littered with mess and tables all around us had not been cleared. The meat was fine but there was that little of it that I’d finished it off very quickly. Pretty much all of the veg was undercooked, hard and crunchy. Some of it was cold. This was fine with the carrots but hard broccoli, cauliflower and sprouts was pretty horrible. The man with the glasses then came to our table and with a deliberately sarcastic tone said “Everything alright with your food then?” (his tone was that of an adult talking to a needy child and his false smile seemed to insinuate that he thought were people that were hard to please, as though were demanding caviar and champagne when all we wanted was to sit in the restaurant around other diners, we didn’t want any kind of table service at all). One other thing, the Yorkshire Puddings were rock hard, they were black and tasted like BBQ smoke. By now we’d had enough, we left our hard vegetables, finished our drinks (very glad I had a fruit Kopparberg in the end and it washed away the taste of smoke that the Yorkshire pudding had left) and left. Needless to say we will not be returning. The customer service skills of the man at the ‘front of house’ wearing glasses really were appalling and I’m honestly not being rude about the food just because of him. But he was a most unpleasant person and let this establishment down. We will not be returning or recommending this place to anyone and it spoiled what was supposed to be a Sunday treat.

I recommend the Kings Ransom in Sale, it’s leaps and bounds ahead of this place and they are extremely generous with the meat AND you can go back up for as much veg as you like. It’s cheaper too!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank PeteMakstar
Manchester
“Great decor, but food could be better (Sunday carvery)”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a Sunday carvery this weekend. The pub is well set out and the restaurant section was lovely. The table was clean and well presented. The traditional British menu looked good and the deserts on display looked amazing (I'd like to go back and try one!!).

However, we had the Sunday carvery. We could not fault the meat and the selection of meat was good. Unfortunately they had run out of sausages and we did not appear to receive any additional meat to compensate. The amount of meat we received was ok but could have been more for the price. And the veg was a little disappointing. The parsnips were hard so both my boyfriend and I left these and the rest of the veg was bland and could have been cooked a little longer. It may have been that because they had been busy earlier that day that they were rushing to get food out and not cooking the veg long enough.

Overall it was a lovely setting but other pubs do similar carvery's for similar (and cheaper) prices so I think we'll try else where next time for our roast but we may come back and sample the main menu and try one of the tempting looking deserts.

• Visited August 2012
Berkshire
“Disapointing”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were booked at the Premier Inn next door where we were greeted by very friendly & caring staff on reception. In sharp contrast our breakfast & evening meal next door were of poor quality & the staff very offhand & abrupt almost to the point of rudeness. They did however do us a favour as we dined out much better elsewhere for the remainder of our stay.

• Visited August 2012