“I wasn't lucky enough to get a renovated room...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Stanneylands - TEMPORARILY CLOSED

The Stanneylands - TEMPORARILY CLOSED
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Manchester
“I wasn't lucky enough to get a renovated room...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

My friend held her wedding reception at Stanneylands and I booked a room via Bookings.com which cost £109 inc breakfast for one night. When I checked in to my room it was small and dark and there was obvious damage to the walls and ceiling; indeed the bathroom ceiling was badly cracked and paint peeling. I then went to use the bathroom but couldn't because the toilet had not been cleaned (there were stains on it!). I asked reception to send someone from housekeeping to sort it out, which they did, but it took 3 people to inspect it before they actually cleaned it. The maid who finally cleaned it said I probably wouldn't notice later as I would have had a drink!!!! I went back to my room later in the evening and a fuse had blown so my overhead lights did not work. Again, I called reception who sorted it out but by this point I was pretty disappointed. There were large stains on the bedside lampshades, marks on the bedding and there is no mattress cover so I had to sleep with just a thin sheet over the mattress. The knob to turn the shower on was also missing so I had to turn a cog to get it on. Overall it looked very scruffy and in desperate need of renovation. I think it was extremely overpriced at £109.

• Stayed August 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Victoria01Manchester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

stayed 3 and 4 may. had booked another hotel for my birthday which didn't live up to expectations so switched to this one and so pleased that I did. the staff were superb. stayed in an executive room which was fresh, modern, has free wi fi and was spotlessly clean. breakfast was freshly prepared by chef each morning and absolutely delicious. the restaurant staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. main restaurant was beautifilly deocrated with (original?) oak panels etc. the calico restaurant has only been open a few months and hasa wonderfully relaxing atmosphere. celebrated my birthday with a 4 couse meal in the restaurant which was superbly prepared and served.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank trisha11edin
Manchester, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2010

We booked the Stanneylands in Jan 08 for our wedding ceremony and reception on 3 October 2009. We chose the hotel because of i) recommendation from others, ii) its reputation as a wedding venue and iii) location - it is brilliantly situated for Manchester airport, the motorways and more than one railway station. We had many guests travelling from various parts of the UK and even two coming over from California!

Between our initial booking and the date of our wedding the hotel had a complete redecoration in the main areas and the bar extension was finished. It looked great on the day of our wedding! I felt we had a very good relationship with the hotel in the period leading up to the wedding; they were very flexible in accommodating our wishes and our complicated family arrangements!

Everything was pretty much perfect on the day - one mildly panicky moment when our CD wouldn't play on their audio system and we had to use our laptop and speakers instead (good job I packed it!) - we couldn't get in the ceremony room the night before so didn't get the chance to test it; in hindsight I would have insisted.....

The only disappointing factor for me was that I didn't hear anything from the hotel wedding co-ordinator AFTER the wedding day; after all the money that gets spent on a wedding I think the least they can do is a quick call or even an email to check that it was everything (particularly as the co-ordinator was on leave on the day of our wedding). There's a lot of positive things I wanted to say to them - I really think they missed a trick on the service front there. That's why I dropped the service rating to 4; for the actual day it was a 5.

I would absolutely recommend the Stanneylands to anyone planning a wedding or other special event. The food is lovely, staff friendly and helpful and it's in a great location. And not as expensive as some other venues in the area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gingerbirdie71
southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

We held our wedding ceremony and reception at Stanneylands Hotel on 10th April and the hotel was perfect from the very first meeting. The wedding organiser Liz is fantastic, always helpful and informative as well as friendly. The actual wedding was amazing, we had over 30 rooms booked for friends and family - the rooms were all to a great standard (particularly the suite we had!). The gardens and grounds were also fantastic for the photos!

The wedding itself was fantastic, well managed by Eamonn the manager, the food was cooked to perfection (no mean feat to serve 80 people in one go), the waiting staff we quick and helpful. The DJ reccomended by the hotel was great and kept the party going all night!

We can't wait to revisit the hotel on our future wedding anniversaries!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank D0nnaD84
Cheshire20
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

Our daughter and her husband held their wedding reception here in the Oak Suite on Saturday 6th March. We were greeted by Eamonn, who spent the rest of the day and most of the evening ensuring that our every wish was fulfilled to prefection.
The entire staff were very friendly and polite, the service was excellent, the food delicious and the venue superb. The whole event was a wonderful success to the delight of newlyweds and all their guests.
We would like to give our appreciation to the Stanneylands Hotel and all its staff but we would particularly like to offer ou sincere thanks to Eamonn for all his care and attention. He really made our day special.
Barry and Sally (Parents of Clare)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Cheshire2010
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

I visited this hotel twice for a wedding booking for my God daughter because we were pleased with the venue. The date was agreed and despite spending a considerable amount of time with the events staff on both occasions we felt terribly let down to be told 10 days later that there was another wedding booked on the same day. My God daughters wedding was to be the first and although we we told that neither brides would actually meet on the day and that we would have 1/1/2hr window - effectively what it meant was that our wedding would be organised around another wedding. My God daughter was not only upset but very hurt by this as for myself I was extremely angry and disgusted by this treatment especially as we have received no formal apology.

• Stayed January 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank tippy01
Irsihman, General Manager at The Stanneylands - TEMPORARILY CLOSED, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
It is not unusual for Stanneylands to host more than one wedding a day, and in such instances we always ensure that both parties are made fully aware, prior to confirming with us. However exclusive use is an available and negotiable option which was not considered on this occassion.
Although a number of available dates were initially considered it was a summer date that was preferrable to the bride and groom and the date selected already had a confirmed wedding which had booked some 12 months prior. We are pleased that you liked Stanneylands and considered us as your wedding venue, it is regrettable that we were unable to satisfy your personal requirements.
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

Thank you again to the stanneylands hotel for the excellent day that you gave my family and friends on my son's Edwards christening and my 40th . a special thanks to that other Irish man Eammon because without him this hotel would not be as special.
THE POWER FAMILY.

• Stayed March 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
Alderley Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mottram St. Andrew
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,398 reviews
Premier Inn Manchester (Wilmslow) Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport

Been to The Stanneylands - TEMPORARILY CLOSED? Share your experiences!