“Wedding Guest”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Reading, United Kingdom
“Wedding Guest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

After checking in the receptionist seemed unable to direct us to our room, sending us on the longest route possible with our bags, the room was fine, nice layout, large bathroom etc (we then realised this was a room that catered for wheelchair access) which was no problem. We also noticed that both the sink and bath seemed reluctant to run away but didn’t take too much notice of this. The wedding reception venue was very nice with a good spread of food, good entertainment and a bar.

However after returning to our room at about 1.00 AM, there was an unbearable “sewage” smell in the room, (a result of the earlier blockages presumably)…we did try to put up with this and opened the windows but to no avail, we contacted reception and they offered us a much nicer room, which we accepted and moved ourselves, although by this time it was very late and we were both unhappy with the situation, we were able to move ourselves quite easily but I did wonder how a wheelchair bound guest would have coped.

After our disturbed night the breakfast was very welcoming and at check-out there was plenty of apologies but no offer of a discount from my bill. We’d paid a “wedding guest” rate, which would now appear to be slightly more expensive than a standard double with breakfast (currently £93.00)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

The Stanneylands was the fourth hotel we looked at as a venue for our wedding reception. We picked up a brochure and sat in the bright and airy bar with our children aged 1 and 3 at the time. Whilst sitting the Eammon the hotel manager came across to say hello and have a chat. We knew from meeting Eammon that this was the perfect place for us. Luckily our chosen date in August was available, so after a quick look at the Stanley Suite and a test of the bar food, we paid our deposit and booked.

That was 6 months before the wedding and during the months before the wedding we visited the hotel many times for lunch with friends and family. All the staff are warm and friendly and seem to work as a perfect team, they made the effort to get to know our children really who felt happy and welcome.

Liz was our wedding co-ordinator whose calm, friendly and professional manner made the wedding preparations so easy and enjoyable. As for the big day, it was truly perfect. Eammon pulled out all the stops, every detail was considered and the day ran smoothly with all our guests catered for and made to feel special.

Once again ALL the staff were warm, friendly, courteous and professional. Nothing was too much trouble.

I just can't thank Eammon and his team at the Stannylands enough for our marvellous day. We have made some friends over the last 6 months and will continue to visit the Stanneylands and would recommend it to anyone.
Stayed August 2011

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
cheshire,uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

Firstly, thank you. Your service, food, drink, staff, rooms, grounds everything was absolutly amazing!!
all our guests loved the hotel. our room was wondeful and the shower was my favourite element so fabulous.
i cannot fault this hotel, for a weekend break and especially for a wedding. your the dream wedding venue nothing was a problem!!
i would definatly reccomend this hotel to anyone, and we will definatly be back. thank you so much

Room Tip: the four poster bridal suite, sheer luxury! very cosy and country, supurb bathroom.gorgeous view, ve...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Just returned from a 2 night stay to attend my friends wedding. The setting of the hotel is lovely, surrounded by lovely gardens and overlooked by a field of horses, a very pleasant first impression, until that is you walk into reception. Reception is a welcoming well decorated room with a contempory feel and plenty of sofas to relax upon. The receptionist however was quite the opposite, very unwelcoming and rather hostile. A lady of asian origin whose name I fail to remember, checked is in and I decided she was perhaps having a bad day so chose not to make judgement, however the same lady was on duty the next day, the day of the wedding, and was even worse. She even persued the bride and caused an arguement over an unbooked room in the bar in front of the guests, very unproffesional.
Our room, was very small, hot and stuffy and rather old fashioned, not at all what I had expected for £90 per night room only. The bathroom was tiny and not very well equipped. The only towel rail was so high I couldn't reach it and there were no hooks or rails to hang clothes, bathrobes etc so the only option was the floor or the toilet seat, not very nice. The shower head was fixed and again so high I couldn't reach it so I was only able to use the bath. There was however plenty of hot water. The sink and bath plugs weren't attached to anything and there was very little space to put down any toiletries or other essentials. On the second day of our stay the room was serviced, I use the term lightly, we had a small amount of toilet roll with no back up roll, no soap and one coffee for each of us.
Fortuneately we were out most of the time attending the wedding which was a blessing as the tv remote didn't work and our room overlooked the staff car park which was extremley noisy. The morning after the wedding we were woken by the glass lorry collecting the empties at 7.30 am closley followed by reception ringing the wrong number!
The wedding however, was lovely. The public areas are very nice and up to date, the public toilets are modern and clean. The wedding breakfast was very nice and served quickly and efficently. My personal opinion is that they manage weddings far better than they manage the hotel and probably would not have any trade were it not for wedding guests staying over.
On checking out we were met by 2 new faces at reception. When asked had we had a pleasant stay I didn't want to make a fuss or be negative so I said it was ok. Big mistake, the lady with a foreign accent completely dismissed the comment and was very patronising whilst her english colleague, who was busy on the phone told me in a very hostile and unpleasant manner that I should have collected a toilet roll and soap myself! The english lady then went on with her phone call, in front of us, to a member of staff asking her to work a shift on Tuesday, she was very rude and not at all pleasant to the poor person on the other end of the phone, thank god I dont work there!
All in all the public areas are very nice and the wedding was lovely. The rooms are very old fashioned and small and some are extremley noisy. The reception staff however, are very unproffesional, rude and need to be replaced as they do the hotel no favours what so ever.
Do yourself a huge favour and stay somewhere else, unless of course you are happy to pay over the odds for standard accomodation and be treated with contempt by the staff.

Room Tip: No air con in rooms.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Daisy5678
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Best wedding venue in Cheshire I really couldn’t have made a better choice ticked all the boxes and impeccable service as a result I had an absolutely magical wedding and memories that would stay with me forever.
I have to thank the staff they were all wonderful, the service was phenomenal they were very attentive to all my guests delivering a wonderful service throughout they were sooo accommodating even re-opening the residential bar when some of our wedding group decided to continue partying all night.
My wedding co-ordinator Liz Jackson is absolutely lovely and very good at her job, she was there with me throughout the whole process and fulfilled her role as 1st point of contact beautifully whatever was within her powers to organize she made possible i.e. making every item on the menu Halal and with prior arrangement we were allowed to bring Nigerian extras to go with the hotels magnificent evening buffet. And Martina Herakova was also on hand to help when Liz was off and I desperately needed something. One of the key things everybody was on hand to help and they are all very supportive an you just felt extremely well looked after
They met every single one of our specifications and exceeded them. I genuinely can’t find any fault they are a fabulous team and they are very good at their jobs. Complements to the chef every morsel of food was absolutely delectable which I thoroughly enjoyed along with every single member of my guest.
Everything they say about Eamon is 100% he is the iron steel that ensures the night flows effortlessly. The DJ I used was a local Manchester events group DJ Syd Edwards from LiveMusic Management and DJ LammyJatt from LammyEnterprise who continued the night to a more upbeat party tempo.
They have their own in-house florist and although we arranged our own flowers direct from interflora, Chorlton (whom were also brilliant) she was on hand to help and give advice. Stanneyland’s every bit a magical place, it's very enchanting and charming with wonderful grounds, it’s a nice drive too to the venue do warn your guests to keep their eyes peeled whilst weaving through the country lanes easy to drive past 1st time.
Another great feature to the wedding package that I loved was the complementary bridal suite very beautiful room with lovely furniture, lush bathroom and spacious. Everything was on point just the perfect location in Cheshire and believe me when I say I checked then all out.
I can’t wait to take up my one year anniversary offer come this december to re-enjoy the magic and picturesque beauty of the place. They are genuinely wonderful people and it's a truly wonderful venue I had an amazing winter wonderland wedding.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Kizzy298
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Last night we attended the tribute night. Fantastic value for money with a delicious three course meal and drink on arrival followed by a brilliant tribute act and a bit of a disco thrown in for good measure. This was a brilliantly organised event, with lovely staff. A great time had by all, I hope this is the first of many more to come. We will certainly be there!! Thank you.
Rachel and Andrew Morris

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank RacheljMorris
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

All very pleasant and good value for the £80 inclusive of breakfast. Rooms are a little on the old fashioned side but functional and the hotel has a good selection of bar, room and resturant food. No aircon in the room and on the hot side and with the window open you do get the sound of planes landing at Manchester airport.

Free Wifi

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank andymhill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
Alderley Edge Hotel
Kingsley Lodge
Kingsley Lodge
#1 of 5 in Wilmslow
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport

Been to The Stanneylands? Share your experiences!