“Very good Airport Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Airport Inn Manchester

The Airport Inn Manchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Very good Airport Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

After reading previous reviews I am actually quite surprised as I found this hotel one of the best Airport hotels I have ever stayed in, and as a travel agent i've stayed in loads but have never had such a good nights sleep as I did here.
Took us 3 hrs to reach Manchester and was greeted warmly by the reception staff, they were very pleasant and knowledgeable about things in the local area e.g aviation viewing park and places to eat in wilmslow.
Drove into Wilmslow got a pizza then to the viewing park to watch the planes and eat it just down the road from the hotel.
Parking was easy didn't move the car from the front car park to the secure car park at the back until morning and even though it was in the middle of the school holidays had no problem at all finding a space.
Didn't use the leisure facilities but they looked very good, There was a wedding in the hotel but didn't hear any noise from it overnight.
Had a room on the second floor and did have to carry cases up stairs but not far.
Room was clean, towels for all 4 of us and a decent shower, we had a family room with a double bed and double sofa bed for the kids (this could probably of been abit better quality they did moan it was uncomfey for a start but soon fell asleep).
Didn't have breakfast at the hotel as on a RO basis and planned to eat at the airport anyway, Bus times were explained well by reception and tickets issued on arrival, buses were good and on-time but did stop at a couple of other hotels on the way.
Overall I feel this was a very good hotel and quiet considering it is a airport hotel, have been to plenty of others and been woken throughout the night with door banging and people coming and going.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JRothwell, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Manchester Airport Hotel. It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always good to receive positive comments. Once again thank you from all the team.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards, John Rothwell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

Stayed for a couple of nights with colleagues this week. Not a bad hotel actually, though the silly trainee on reception needs to go through an intensive course of politeness and courtesy. She was robotic and arrogant, and had a face like a wet weekend, not the kind of greeting you need when you're tired and just want to rest your head. Other than that, room was nice and clean, but a bit on the pokey side considering the charge was £105 a night. Food was to a good standard and came out quickly. All other staff seemed nice and courteous. Shame they weren't the ones greeting people as it would have got off to a far better start.

2 Thank maestro1302
Thank you for taking the time to post your view. It is disappointing to read that you recognise a team member of staff is in training and then post comment which then de-motivates team members. A quiet and constructive word to one of my management team would have been more professional and enable us to work with and encourage a new team member. Regards, John Rothwell
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

Not one of Holiday Inns finest, I was stopping at the hotels as the company was holding a dinner dance there. I arrived at the hotel at presented my Platinum Priority Card to be told by the receptionist that if I had booked in with the card, I would not have had to wait at reception, did she not realise that a PPC card means I stop at Holiday Inn Hotels virtually every week – obviously not, not even recognition of the level of loyalty to the hotel group.

My wife and I went up to the allocated room and they are very small; it looked like a single room and the alleged double room even had a ¾ bed. The room was that small, if the person nearest the wall in the bed wished to get out of bed they had to climb over the other occupant. There had been an element of refurbishment to the hotel, which made the room bright and clean, but they had retained the original light switch plates and sockets which looked very tacky and dated. There was the traditional / standard TV, which for a international chain of hotels is very poor.

We attended the function and enjoyed it, the food and service were excellent, the bar staff and general level of attention was great – thank you.

We decanted to the residents bar at 1 pm and at 2 pm the bar shut with some 40 people in the bar, I questioned the night staff and they politely said it was nothing to do with them. I asked that as this hotel was next to the airport was it considered to be an international hotel and it was confirmed that they considered it an international hotel, so why have you shut the bar, I could have just flown in and its early evening for me and I may wish for a drink – no answer.

We did not have any breakfast so cannot comment upon it (we had to be away early), would I stop there again, well not likely as I live quite close to the airport and was only stopping to attend the function. Would I wish to stop there if I was stopping over / going through the airport – no, there are many other hotels closer and with better facilities.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. At an airport hotel it is very difficult to strike a balance of ensuring noise levels do not impact guests departing early (quite often around 4am) with late revellers attending a function, we do where possible run the bar to the early hours and we do offer a limited night porter service. I can only apologise if any inconvenience was caused. Kind regards, John Rothwell

Travelers are raving about these Wilmslow hotels

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

Me, my husband and our family were staying at the hotel for a wedding. i was looking forward to getting away for a night as I work in hotels myself and its very hard to get time off when you are in management. Well what can I say....
Arrived at the hotel after traveling a long time from abroad, i had rung the hotel and asked them if i could checkin early, no problem at all they said, we got there and the receptionist, who didnt even smile once from the moment she saw us, said that our room wasnt ready, after explaining that I had rung up and told them in advance that we were attending a wedding the receptionist did find us another room to go into, this room was small, dark and very poor, but the rate we were on was very low so I didnt mind for 1 night. I wouldnt of paid the full price for this room however. I also went to 6 other rooms that my friends and family had and they were just like this also. Anyway so getting back to reception, we were also checking in one of our friends, a problem arose that ment he had to come alone and not with his brother which was planned, (Twin room), we explained on arrival that we would like this to be changed to a single room. this was done no problem but the price remained the same. £60. they said that this is the room rate and cant be changed due to the wedding price. I had never heard aload of nonsense in my life, i work at a very top hotel and manage reception there, another lady was called who still said the same thing. a manager is suppose to deal with complaints well.... this was not done! After talking to the two so called receptionists i just gave up. what was the point i thought. If this is the hotels policy then good luck to them as it is a terrible way to treat your guests who are not happy. I was also told I was not on a bb rate when I was and when I asked the room number of my own sister in law I was told that they cant give out room numbers.... unbelievable!!!!!.
whilst with the wedding party having the reception I was spoken to by a young man with no manners either. He asked my husband if he would like some champagne then turned to me and said YOU!!! in a nasty manner. All the guests on my table even commented to me about how rude he was. At this point it didnt suprise me at all.
breakfast was poor also, good selection, but taste was not the best, but to be fair it was a buffett breakfast and this can be abit tastless. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY THAT IF THE STAFF ARE GOING TO SLAG OFF THE GUESTS I WOULD NOT DO IT WHEN WE CAN HERE YOU, my husband was coming down from our room to talk to reception and he over heard a group of them behind reception talking about us and a hush was said when they saw him, all I can say is I am very pleased it was not me but my husband as I would of left the hotel and refused to pay anything as this behavour would not be tolerated in any hotel I have worked in. I will not be going back to this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2010

Check-in was slow and disorganised, receptions were surly, room was very small, room was freezing (heating didn't work), walls are paper thin with no sound insulation, TV was tiny, luke warm water in the morning for a shower, lift only goes to the second floor and there are three floors, taxi that I ordered for the morning at check-in was not (fortunately I checked again in the morning and one was ordered in time so I wasn't late for my meeting). A thoroughly terrible hotel which I shall not stay in again, and hopefully having read this review, neither will you!

Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

Rooms are very small, its very tough to locate the hotel it took 30 minutes for 5-10 minutes distance from airport. Its not very near to Airport. Pool and Gym are good. Food is ok. Overall average hotel.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Farmington, UT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

Pros: It is in a quiet location.
Lots of soaps.
Nice shower.
Nice beds.
Cons: It is far from anything of interest.
Half of the hotel has no lift.
The free breakfast costs 10 quid.
Free airport shuttle costs 4 quid.
Internet access that is free at most hotels is 10 lbs a day.
This seems to be one of those properties that just maximizes the amount of money it can extort from its customers. Very disappointing for a Holiday Inn.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Crowne Plaza Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport

Been to The Airport Inn Manchester? Share your experiences!