“Extremely disappointed.”

The Airport Inn Manchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel for one night before we went on holiday and paid for two weeks parking. On arrival we entered the long stay car park to utter madness! There was absolutely nowhere to park and people were leaving there cars on grass verges and wherever they could squeeze it in. I went in to the hotel to ask where we could park and we were told they they overbooked (understatement!!!) and we would need to go and park at their sister hotel and then come back in a taxi to sleep at this hotel. The staff on the reception desk had no idea what they were doing, they were sending people to different hotels and it was a complete mess. I am not one to complain but after a two and a half hour drive and then being told we cannot park at the hotel completely tipped me over the edge. We had over night luggage that we wanted to leave in the car however had to take it on holiday with us, making my case much heavier than it needed to be! People were there with children and had travelled far. The service was the worst I have ever come across and I will not be staying here or recommending it again.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank emilyandphil123

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Booked one night before going on holiday and arranged to leave my car there for a week. Reception staff extremely slow - 15 minutes to check in. Took us 20 minutes to find a car parking space. Had a decent meal and a few drinks in the bar and myself and my daughter were chatting to some guys who worked at the hotel, one of them apparently the manager, Ben McCarthy. After returning to our room, one of the guys proceeded to bang on our door for 3 hours until 3.30am demanding that we open the door and let him in - what for I don't know but can hazard a guess! As we did not give him our room number, I am assuming, as he is a member of staff, that he obtained this from our check in details. Totally and utterly unacceptable - particularly as we were up at 5.00am to go to the airport. My 18 yr old daughter was quite scared. I did consider complaining to the Manager, but as this guy was his friend, I didn't expect any action to be taken. Looking at all the other reviews - I see that Mr McCarthy has not even had the courtesy to respond to anyone's negative commnets. Will definitely not stay again!

4  Thank Liz P
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Despite booking the 'PARK STAY AND GO' package with this hotel via a booking agent, which at the time was said to include 24 hour transfers to Manchester airport, we've now been told that a transfer fee of £8 per person applies if we are to get to the airport!!! This is not a park stay and go package AT ALL but just a mere hotel near the airport which conveniently books a taxi to the airport for you and charges you extra for it, calling it a park stay and go package.

This is as the hotel have changed their 'Terms and Conditions' without advising the booking agents that they have changed them! Absolutely ridiculous. If I were you and you've booked this hotel, call them to check your booking as the transfer package is still being sold when it doesn't even exist anymore. Direct line to hotel - 01625889988.

Luckily (in a way) we had family members that stayed at the hotel last night who found out this information when they checked in yesterday afternoon - they had to pay the transfer charges otherwise they had no way of getting to the aiport. They have you good and proper.

It is not the Booking Agents that are making these charges, but the hotel itself, and the booking agents are being extremely helpful in sorting the issue out.

4  Thank beckie_awr
Reviewed June 29, 2014

On the positive side, the hotel is cheap and near the airport. But that's pretty much all there is to say on the positive side!

Check in was the slowest I have ever come across. The young lad on reception clearly had no idea what he was doing. Once we had finally checked in, we couldn't get into the room - turns out he hadn't actually managed to programme the room key. From arrival to getting into the room took 40 minutes.

The room would have been OK, but the door handle had fallen off the bathroom door, and the sink was blocked.

There is, to be fair, a nice bar area serving a decent selection of bar meals. Sadly, they managed to mess up our order, with one of our party being served a burger instead of chicken. Staff were very apologetic, and quickly corrected the order, but on top of the 40 minute check-in, it was all getting a bit tiresome.

The whole place is a bit tired, and the staff appear poorly trained and inexperienced.

I don't expect luxury at this price. But the whole point of budget airport hotels is to get the basics right. This place doesn't.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank simon t
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed there for 1 job week.
Positive: quite good breakfast, comfortable bed, free wi-fi, good restaurant
Negative: the staff is kind but not well prepared.To have the final invoices, it took 40 minutes to than discover that the system and the printer didn't work, so I was really disappointed. I didn't like that you have to pay 5£ to use the gym and SPA. Some little details in the rooms show that the building is not so new.
So, the hotel is in the average, but I'll probably choose something else next time because the hotel policy for breakfast, extra drinks and other is too complicated. It could be better if they could do like the other hotel all over the world, charging the room at the end of the stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Got to say I was panicking having read some of the recent comments about the parking chaos at this hotel . We were driving down from Glasgow to catch a flight and certainly wouldn't have had time for any of the shambles previously reported. Firstly ...the car park is indeed extremely busy but as you drive around there are actually a few separate areas in which to search and we found a space within a few minutes. Secondly... the minibus transfer to airport was arranged immediately by reception and we were told exactly what to do on return by the very helpful driver.....that pick up also went without a hitch even though it was almost midnight. We arrived back at hotel tired and just hoping for a comfy bed....and that's exactly what we got. Clean and comfortable but the room was certainly nothing to write home about.
We booked through Holiday Extras and to think we got parking, transfers and an overnight stay for the princely sum of 67 quid... you can't complain can you? Overall very pleased

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MariaMcD13
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Having stayed at the Britannia Aberdeen I wasn't expecting big things but wow this hotel is bad.

( I stay in hotels up and down the uk every week so know what to expect from different chains)

Please also bare in mind that this is the first time I have ever felt compelled to write a bad review.

The staff haven't got a clue what is going on.
The pool carried a £5 charge per person and was closed for kids after 7.30.
The room are dirty and full of cobwebs.
We couldn't find a parking space at first and the staff didn't know what to tell us.
The bar is ridiculously expensive.
On our return the pre paid pick up service wouldn't collect us from arrivals and made us walk to a petrol station on site with our cases.
Our car was bumped in the car park whilst we were away.
To top it all off I've just checked and they have charged us the £90 twice so I now have to try and get that refunded.

Do yourself a favour, pay the extra money and get a decent hotel actually at the airport as this lot are a joke.

Room Tip: Don't make the same mistake we did.