“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at.”

The Airport Inn Manchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
leeds
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Having stayed at the Britannia Aberdeen I wasn't expecting big things but wow this hotel is bad.

( I stay in hotels up and down the uk every week so know what to expect from different chains)

Please also bare in mind that this is the first time I have ever felt compelled to write a bad review.

The staff haven't got a clue what is going on.
The pool carried a £5 charge per person and was closed for kids after 7.30.
The room are dirty and full of cobwebs.
We couldn't find a parking space at first and the staff didn't know what to tell us.
The bar is ridiculously expensive.
On our return the pre paid pick up service wouldn't collect us from arrivals and made us walk to a petrol station on site with our cases.
Our car was bumped in the car park whilst we were away.
To top it all off I've just checked and they have charged us the £90 twice so I now have to try and get that refunded.

Do yourself a favour, pay the extra money and get a decent hotel actually at the airport as this lot are a joke.

Room Tip: Don't make the same mistake we did.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank oliver_8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Polish first
liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was very concerned about going to this hotel after reading the reviews. We booked for 1 night 16/6/14, on arrival the staff were very helpful even though we arrived early they sorted a room for us which was very nice, parking was no problem at all staff said that this had been sorted. We used the shuttle service which was prompt on the way to the airport and when we landed we rang the number and the taxi arrived 15 minutes or so later. The bar was very expensive but we found a lovely pub called the Honey Bee and had our tea there which was excellent, as you come out of the hotel turn left and either walk for about 10 minutes which we did or take your car.

Room Tip: we has a room overlooking the car park which was very quite.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LiverpoolDavo
Barnsley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

One night stop over - 17 days parking - transfer to airport - all around £100 I think is good value.
Eating and drinking there is not good value but that's Airport hotels for you.
Must have been some issues with parking, I received a email saying that I would now have to take my car to a Sky Park on the morning of departure but when I booked in was told parking issues now resolved

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

We didn't pay a lot, I think it was about £70 for a nights stay and a weeks parking, my suggestion is to pay the extra and get somewhere decent.

We arrived and found a space easily out the front and went to reception. In total we spoke to 3 reception staff and they all had a confused dull expression, I'd have loved to have seen the others they interviewed, didn't have a clue what was going on, no customer service skills.

We were told that we shouldn't Park out the front and that we should drive around and find another space, suggestion was we should come back in a few hours and try again..... Our flight was in 4 hours. They finally agreed we could leave it where it was.

Our actual stay at the hotel was on our return from holiday. We weren't returning to Manchester airport until 2am and didn't fancy a 3 hour drive home after that so booked the room to get a few hours. Huge mistake.

They put us on the third floor (the lift only goes to the second and we had to drag two huge cases up the last flight at 2am, I'm sure the other guests appreciated that). The room was amazingly small but that didn't bother us as we just wanted to sleep. The biggest problem was the bed which was slightly bigger than a single and we both had to cramb into it. Awful nights sleep and we were even more tired the next morning. It was totally unacceptable. If I had known I'd have just driven home at 2am.

Pay the extra and stay somewhere slightly decent.

Small positives:
Good size Tele
Tea and coffee and kettle in room.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Luke_C85

Travelers are raving about these Wilmslow hotels

United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed here for one night and solely because it included 8 days parking...never again! On arrival it was obvious there was a parking issue with cars literally abandoned wherever there was a space, there was no logic to anything and of course people were driving round for ages trying to find a space. The hotels response was 'you just have to keep driving round until you find one' which is all very well but most cars in there belonged to people who were abroad. This is no way a suitable location to leave your car whilst you are on holiday. Someone in this hotel has got greedy and decided it doesnt matter whether there is a space or not, they will take your money regardless.

The hotel itself isn't so bad although we did come across a few issues albeit fairly minor ones. No one seems to speak to each other in this place so if you want to know what time you can have dinner you need to go the restaurant, when you get there they want proof you have prepaid which instead of them contacting reception (a few seconds away or probably a quick phone call) they want you to go back to your room for the card insert. If you ask reception what time the pool opens to then you need to go to the pool itself which is behind the hotel. This isn't me being lazy, the point is the lack of communication between all parts of the hotel which is entirely unnecessary.

If you would like to use the pool then there is a £5 charge per person. Steep or what?! Apparently there is a notice about it somewhere but its a bit late for that when you are already there. This hotel cannot really bill itself as having a pool when there is a charge for it. Perhaps its in the small print somewhere.

The food was fairly pleasant but that was after the poor waitress chucked a plate of hot food over my husbands lap. Literally all over him. I'm just pleased my toddler was sat on my knee rather than his. This particular waitress was very apologetic about it but then she was that busy she was literally running with hot plates of food so it was inevitable really.

The room was OK. Very simple and plain. You could just about do a whole turn in the bathroom without hitting something.

I hear that the day we flew they had a visit from the Fire Brigade due to the place being a Health and Safety hazard! This doesn't surprise me. This hotel itself is fine, the parking is a complete and utter joke and they should be ashamed of themselves for selling people airport parking.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank LittleLegs1983
Tadcaster, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

After a nightmare day when our transatlantic flight was cancelled at the last minute , and hours spent trying to reschedule , 100 of us were taken to this little rather old fashioned hotel in the middle of nowhere near the long stay car parks. They accommodated us promptly and efficiently with only an hours notice and put on a good buffet dinner for us altogether in a conference room. Apparently they brought staff in on their day off and coped magnificently .
I had a good nights sleep, in a very comfortable room, much quieter than nearer the airport , and would definitely think about booking this again for a park and fly deal . There was a good buffet breakfast included, continental from 4am -6am , and cooked from 6-10am. + they operated a very frequent shuttle service!

Room Tip: Ground floor only accessible down some stairs , so if you can't manage them ask for a room on th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
St. George, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Don't think that just because it says 'airport' in their name that you'll have a quick and easy transport. The 'shuttle' cost is 8£ per person. A cab is 18£ for the whole cab, making it cheaper for our group of three. And, this early mornings fare (3:30am) was only 10£ for the cab. If I were to do it over again, I would spend that cab fare on a pricier hotel right next to the airport. The hotel was average. We were only there for a few hours and just needed a bed and a shower. We ordered 'room service' from the extremely understaffed and overpriced restaurant in house. There are also issues with the name of the hotel. Our cab driver said that it was previously called the holiday inn and the Britannia. That caused a bit of confusion.

Room Tip: We had a triple room on the first floor. It was a bit noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport

Been to The Airport Inn Manchester? Share your experiences!