“Beware the taxi costs”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
London, United Kingdom
“Beware the taxi costs”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We took a taxi from the train station and were horrified to be charged £18 for just a few minutes drive.
Hotel reception told us when we arrived if we had pre booked a taxi through them it would only cost £8.

Room was adequate but in dire need of maintenance. Room phone was not connected and did not even have a cord to plug it in with (hopeless in an emergency). Shower did not work, so had been replaced with one of those attachments you have to hold up over your head yourself.
We ate in the hotel bar. Food was good, but overpriced, as you would expect from an airport hotel.
Service was friendly but poor. We ordered a cheese burger without mayonnaise or gherkins, and paid extra to have chunky chips. The first attempt had regular chips and mayonnaise, so the server took it away. The second attempt had the right chips, but had gherkins.
Reception service was also friendly but poor. We only had one bath towel in our room. We requested another which had still not arrived by the time we checked out the next day.

An adequate airport hotel, but staff need more training in following up issues, and hotel urgently needs some maintenance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank flibbit
QMHManager, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you found us to be a good airport hotel but I am disappointed that there were a series of issues throughout your stay that need addressing. Firstly, I am very sorry about your room phone, this is unacceptable and I will ensure our housekeeping team double check the phones when cleaning.

Concerning our restaurant team, I can only apologise for human error. As the bar gets extremely busy I would assume this was the cause but I will be sure to mention this to our team to ensure that this does not happen again. Despite these instances I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

John Rothwell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Polish first
Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Nicest thing about this hotel was the bathroom near the lobby! It was really first class. Staff were friendly but facility is poor. Rates are inexpensive but this is what you get...

Transfer to/from airport is not free. We ended up taking a taxi - 2 people for 8 pounds
Hotel needs new carpets - stains are noticeable behind reception and our room carpet was stained.
Room bathroom was large but had moldy tile on the wall
Tea cups and spoons in room looked were dirty! Yuck. We asked and staff replaced them.
To print out boarding passes on their public computer I was charged money for "wireless fee". I have never been charged to do this in any hotel.
The hotel seems to get a lot of families with kids getting ready to take a holiday - the hotel has a deal for inexpensive parking. Walls were thin and lots of excited children don't help with sleep!
This was worst hotel we stayed during our week in the UK.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am very pleased to read that our team members were on a high quality, but I am very disappointed and concerned to read that your stay went downhill from there. I have taken notes from your review and I will do what I can to action these points to ensure another guest does not experience the same night you did.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

As I approached the bar - all 3 staff behind it walked off in the opposite direction - although one at least had seen me - I don't think they weren't interested in service.

The room and bathroom was small but clean and adequate.

When I went to have a shower in the morning - I realised that there was no shower curtain!
I reported it as I checked out so that it could be put right - but there was no real apology and nothing was noted so that it could be put right for the next occupant.

These 2 incidents lead me to think that customer service is not high on the agenda here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RPS_From_UK
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

I am very sorry to read that you feel as though customer service was not high on our agenda, and I would like to take this time to assure you that it most certainly is. I have taken notes from your review and I will be sure to raise your points with our hotel team to ensure this does not happen again. In the meantime if you would like to discuss your stay further with me, please do not hesitate to contact me on gm.himanchester@qmh-hotels.com quoting your name, room number and date of stay.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have stayed here several times before flying long haul. I stayed again on 20th July. It was probably not as friendly as last year, however there was a Wedding going on and it appeared very busy. The staff here make the place they are very patient in the Reception area and explain how things work very well. I am usually on an annual trip with my son and we eat in the Restaurant which is a normal three star offering, which the night before travel is usually all we receive. The staff in there are very good. I have never had difficulty finding a parking space in the long stay Car Park there always seems to be one or two dotted about the place and can usually get one within striking distance of reception. We were away a bit early this time so breakfast was only just opening and we were rushing so we did not enjoy this as much as last year, and so its a bit expensive for two.
The transfer worked ok and we were more used to it this year. Even with the bus you had to sometimes wait, and it toured other Hotels on the way there and back. So time wise no difference on transfers. I try and take into account the logistics of Hotels like this, the circumstances are not like normal Hotels and the turnover of guests must be phenomenal so well done the staff for keeping happy. Had a nice chat with the young lady on reception on our return about 9 Monday 29th July (didn't get here name)whilst my son used the toilet and we got our security number, took interest in our holiday. Whilst ever it works and it does, I will continue to use it.

Room Tip: Arrive a bit later nothing much to do, unless you want to get your swimwear wet before starting.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to read that you continue to enjoy your stays with us and will return to us in the future. I’m happy you state that our hotel has wonderful team members and good meals. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon.

Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night before flying on holiday. Good value for hotel and parking, with transport to and from the hotel to the airport included. Excellent service from Club Cars. The only downside is that food and drinks are quite expensive. As we had already had our main meal earlier we decided to take a sandwich to our room. My tuna/cheese panini was too full of soggy filling which meant the panini was not toasted properly, not very appetising. Would stay here again, but eat elsewhere. On the whole the staff were pleasant but the bar staff were slow.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found our team members pleasant. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your meal and I will be sure to investigate this to ensure there hasn’t been a slip in our high standards as we usually only receive the highest compliments on our food.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have now stayed here several times and this must be one of the best airport hotels in the area. The rooms are comfortable, the staff are friendly and helpful and the food is good. There is also a very nice leisure centre attached with all the expected facilities (although the steam room is rather pathetic). The big selling point is that the hotel is in a small wooded valley and there are some lovely walks to be had through the forest to nearby the nearby village of Styal or, if you fancy it, to the side of the runway to watch planes. It is hard to find an airport hotel with character - this is one and I look forward to returning soon.

The only thing which is annoying are the transfer charges to and from the airport. There is a half hourly shuttle during the day for which I have been variously charged £4, £5 and £6.50 each way. But when I rang the courtesy phone in arrivals (which the hotel had told me to do) and asked to be picked up I wasn't offered the shuttle - instead a taxi came to get me and charged me £8. I don't think this is the hotel's fault it is something to do with the taxi firm they use. But just watch out!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us.

I am very pleased to read that you consider us one of the best airport hotels after many stays with us, due to our wonderful team members and good food. I am overjoyed that you appreciate the beauty of the valley, it’s a lovely place to take a walk on a nice evening. I have noted your concern over charges with our shuttle service and I will be sure to raise your comments with them as you correctly state, we do not provide the service. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here prior to our holiday as we were flying from Manchester and we got a good deal for one night plus 15 nights parking through holidayextras.com. Our room was pleasant, nice and clean, not overly big but big enough. Good gym. Shame you have to pay for Wi-Fi but not surprising. We didn't eat or drink in the hotel but can't comment. Beds comfy. Staff helpful. Transfers to airport were on time and our car was safe. Plus we had a 30 hour delay coming home and we were not charged any more for our parking. Would recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your break with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found us good value for money with high quality rooms. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

John Rothwell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Etrop Grange
Etrop Grange
#66 of 118 in Manchester
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel

Been to The Airport Inn Manchester? Share your experiences!