“Ok but not again!”

The Airport Inn Manchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Wilmslow
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed one night before flying to Mexico, on arrival the receptionist was very efficient, the hotel was clean and looked nice - our room was on the 2nd floor, it was clean but very small, the bed didn't seem to be a full sized double and was almost against the wall on one side, we hardly got any sleep due to constant alarm clocks going off in other rooms and we could hear the sliding bathroom doors in other rooms! The hotel is a nice hotel but rooms are too small and the Walls are too thin!! This was our second stay at this hotel, we prob won't stay a 3rd time!

• Stayed: June 2011
JRothwell, General Manager at The Airport Inn Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2011

Thank you for your post, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards, John Rothwell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)

Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night with my partner prior to an early flight.
The receptionist who checked us in was lovely - very cheerful and thorough. She was alone and there was a small queue at the desk, but this did not phase her at all.
We decided to have dinner in the hotel and the food was excellent. Staff were busy, but remained attentive, cheerful and pleasant. The quality of the food, presentation and portion size were all top quality.
The airport shuttle was efficient and good value - less than half the price of a taxi.
The main issue was the room. It was clean, but it was exceptionally small. The standard sized double bed literally filled the entire room, and was pushed right up against one wall. There was nowhere to put luggage apart from on the narrow strip of floor at the end or side of the bed. As I was with my partner, the only way for me to get out of bed to use the loo in the night was to climb over him - not ideal! Even as a single room this would have been cramped - for two people it was awful. I had paid for the room using my Priority Club points so I did not expect the best room in the hotel, but I dont think it's unreasonable to expect a room which is actually large enough for two people and their luggage. I'm sure not all the rooms are this small as the hotel would be swamped with complaints - I think I was just given a very raw deal. I did not bother to complain as we were only staying one night.
Such a pity about the room, because otherwise the hotel was great.

Room Tip: Ask about the size of the room when you book - some are much smaller than others!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post. We do have a variety of rooms at the property, our rooms on Riverside are our largest and generally where our families are accommodated. In this wing we have Executive rooms available for an upgrade of £20.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

I paid more than offered for a local alternative as I use Holiday Inn quite frequently and thought I would give it a try, suffice to say I will most likely not use this hotel again. The family room was quite small, the furniture dated and the bed settee very very uncomfortable, even for kids. Not too metion I was allocated a room on the second floor with no lift and four large holiday suitcases to contend with.

"Back of Beyond" which is how I would describe where I had to leave my car for two weeks, left me rather nervous I have to say.....

Next time I will be back with Lenny Herny and Co!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments. I was disappointed to read you were not happy with your recent stay, I do have 1 floor in which the case furniture isn’t modern ion its look. These rooms are scheduled to be refurnished next year. I am surprised by your comment about parking as we offer 450 spaces in which you can park, you also keep hold of your keys and the car park has 24 hour surveillance.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

Finding a car park park was a little bit difficult other than that all fine.
Checked in - and arranged transferres for the next morning, no breakfast due to early flight.
Staff helpfull pointed us in the direction of the local pub
Room was large and spotlessly clean.
There was wedding on so a little noise but - not unreasonable.
Transferres were great no problems at all.
I dont know what people are complaining about - it was clean, staff were helpfull - and for most it is only a nights accomodation before they fly out early the next morning

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, We endeavour to make our guests stay as relaxed as possible prior to the holiday or business. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 13, 2011

This is an airport hotel pure and simple, I doubt, even with the 'country hotel' label, whether anyone stays here for more than one night. Positives: proximity to Manchester Airport and the various parking sites, cost (only £65 for a night at an airport hotel) and the fact that, despite the fact that we planned to checkout at 5am, we were offered breakfast. The negatives: rooms in desperate need of a makeover, tired furnishings, dirty carpets, musty smelling corridors. White towels were a shade of grey! Finding a parking space was a nightmare and the wifi extortionate. Overall the negatives outweigh the positives and next time I'll stick with the Crowne Plaza for a few pounds more. Oh, and don't dream of eating at the hotel, there are good places to eat in Wilmslow.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comment. It is disappointing to read however that you feel our rooms are “in desperate need of a makeover” when all but 17 rooms of our 126 were re-carpeted and soft furnishings replaced in the past 18 months. You also comment that you paid £65 for a night including parking; I might add that this is extremely competitive against the other airport properties. You were offered breakfast because we offer continental from 4am being an airport property we recognise many of our guests depart early and might require some light refreshment prior to their trip.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Attended a private party here this week.
Reception staff very poor need to learn good customer relations and how to smile.
Bar staff with the exeption of George very poor. Ditto above.
Dining staff excellent very friendly and helpful British workers should learn from the foriegn colleagues.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your comment, I will raise these points with my departmental managers.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

I stayed here for just one night before going to Manchester airport. The hotel was easy to find, it is a about a 10 drive from the aiport itself. Check in was satifsactory and our room was ready right away. The room was a double on the second floor overlooking the back of the hotel. It was small and one side of the bed was pretty much up against the wall, with a small gap but not enough to stand in. The bed was a bit small but it was pretty comfortable. The bathroom was also small but I did like the shower which was very powerful. The cleanless of the room was ok, the sheets and towels were all clean but there was a used sticking plaster on the floor down the narrow side of the bed! The room and especally the bathroom looked like it could do with a bit of a refresh.
We went out for dinner and when we returned there was a wedding reception in one of the function suites, and the main bar was pretty busy with a mixture of wedding guests and people staying before an early flight. There was only one girl serving but she was working pretty hard. I noticed later there were more staff.
I didn't hear any noise at night, but my wife said she could hear people taking their showers in the morning. The lift wasn't working the next day but we only had one small case so it wasn't a problem.
We had the buffet breakfast which we both thought was very good. Everything looked fresh and there was plenty of choice even at 10.30AM.
We also used the swimming pool and jacuzzi but not the gym, steam room or sauna. I felt the changing rooms and pool could have been cleaner but nothing specific to actually complain about.
I paid with Priority Club points so I can't comment on value for money. If you are just looking for somewhere before or after a long flight, and it's cheaper than the on-airport hotels I would recommend it. For longer or if you are paying full rate I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor / quiet room
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back before you fly again.

Kind regards, John Rothwell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester (Wilmslow) Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport

Been to The Airport Inn Manchester? Share your experiences!