“"No room at this Inn"” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 7 Wilmslow B&B and Inns
Stirling, United Kingdom
“"No room at this Inn"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

booked accommodation at 1.35 on day of travelling. Booking confirmed. Travelled 240 miles from stirling,scotland. on arrival was told by a very happy bar person "fully booked" could not understand his manner. I asked why he sounded so happy as we the customer felt very let down, tired. We asked to speak to the manager who did attend. She came across as bossy and agitated..My husband contacted the booking agent who confirmed our booking was accepted,but the manager continued to accept responsibility. Would not ever return to this establishment. Terrible customer service. Manners and good people skills is so important. Sadly lacking at The King William.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We decided to go for dinner a couple of days ago, having not visited for over a year.

We only live a couple of miles away but the choice of restaurants in Wilmslow is fantastic & they need to work hard to retain business.

Arrived at approx. 7.30pm on Friday & the place was quite empty - 5 or 6 in the bar area & that was it.

Ordered 7 tapas dishes between 2 of us which was a mistake....far too much food....could have easily got away with 5 dishes! Service was quick & the food was delicious, well prepared & very tasty.

The menu is extensive with approx. 30-35 tapas dishes & other main meals - there really something for everyone!

Give this place a try next time you fancy tapas, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2013
Wokingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I don't know if the pub had recently changed hands but reading the other reviews I almost thought it was a different venue. I was greeted by a surly barmaid, whose first words were practically pay for your room now, then I was shown to my room off an unlit corridor and then shown the way out, all in a really cursory manner. I really felt as if I was putting them out by daring to stay. The room was grubby, there was wifi but no code available and no way of contacting anyone to ask, other than going back down to the (empty) bar. No mention of food and certainly no offer of breakfast, I was told to leave my key on the bed on the way out. Very basic tea/coffee making facilities but no milk. I went to use the ensuite bathroom and could see a sliverfish running around the shower tray. The single bed was one of the most uncomfortable I have slept on in my entire life, hard and lumpy, obviously the cheapest possible mattress with a plasticy mattress protector, so very uncomfortable night's sleep. The shower in the morning was filthy, hairs on the walls and in the tray, although the insect companion form the night before had gone. In the cold light of day it became apparent just how dirty the bedroom itself was, the floor had been hoovered but around the furniture so that there was dust on the carpet in big rings around all the furniture. Reading the reviews and star rating I had really been looking forward to staying here, but I would heartily warn anyone else considering it to give it a wide berth.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Wilmslow hotels

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights, I found the staff helpful and friendly, I very much enjoyed the food and the room was comfortable. I don't have any complaints and I certainly recommend the King William.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 3 - it was quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Here for a wedding in the local area. Room beyond basic-mismatching cups, no toiletries and COLD water?!?
Nice staff from what we experiences but what the hell, this place is old, shabby, lacking in the most basic of things.
Next time ill go for the premier inn. £50/night? Avoid!

• Stayed October 2012
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Where do I start.....after visiting the King William a few times for drinks my friends and I decided to take up an offer we had seen on the internet for authentic Spanish tapas and sangria?
We phoned a few days before to book a table but on the night they didn’t know we had a reservation so we were made to sit by the door.

We started off with cheesy Nachos (is this Spanish??) which was covered in a bright orange cheese based slime that had far too many chillies mixed into and sprinkled over it. Now, I like spicy food but this was too hot.

The offer entitled us to 6 tapas dishes but we also ordered a few extras, all of which came smothered in hot chilli sauce that made every dish inedible. The Patatas Bravas was so hot we couldn’t eat it and one dish came accompanied with hair! We mentioned the issues to the waitress and she happily replaced the dishes.

At this point we hadn’t complained (not even about the hair). When we asked for the bill, it was brought to us by Basil Faulty (the Manager) who sat down next to us and didn’t hand the bill over he just said "that £11 each please girls" which we paid (we had already pre-paid a set amount, so this price was additional). It wasn’t until he left the table that we realised we over paid and my friend asked one of the waitresses if we could see our bill. In fact, we had not only been charged for the replacement of the dish with hair in him has automatically included a tip).

This is when what had been a pretty bad meal was turned into a terrible experience; the manager demanded we tell him why we wanted to see the bill and wouldn’t let us see it until we told him why. Eventually he gave us a copy and we pointed out we had been over charged and we had been charged for food that had hair in it. A 15 minute discussion followed which included us mentioned that some of the dishes were a tad bit spicy - his response “well only a few people have complained and it doesn’t matter because I had it for my tea and it was fine". We pointed out that every dish had been ruined by the addition of the spicy sauce, his response was "Its Franco’s Special Sauce” - there was nothing special about it! In regards to being over charged he agreed we had been but said there was nothing he could do and blamed it on the waitress.

We tried to suggest dishes could have chilli ratings or that the waitress could ask customers if they wanted 'Franco’s special sauce' but this was dismissed also with “you’ll be back; we have customers from all over the world’. We haven’t been back, not even for a drink.

This is such as shame because this is a lovely pub, we wondered if they were hoping that by adding all the chillies we would drink more, well we did just not at the King William!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank addicted2hols
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

had really nice and tasty tapas in this nice little pub on a busy night been a few times now and food consistently good

• Stayed April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmslow
The Wilmslow Lodge
The Wilmslow Lodge
#2 of 5 in Wilmslow
Best Western Plus Manchester Airport Wilmslow Pinewood Hotel
The Stanneylands - TEMPORARILY CLOSED
Premier Inn Manchester (Wilmslow) Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester (Handforth) Hotel
Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel

Been to The King William? Share your experiences!