“Good food but poor service”

Frankie & Benny's New York Italian Restaurant & Bar - Ilford
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We love the F & Bs menu and although it's not really diet friendly, we were on holiday so gave this one a go as it was the closest to our hotel. We went mid afternoon as we hadn't eaten all day and it was the last day of our holiday so we wanted to pack in the evening.

It was almost empty but filled up a bit whilst we were there. The food was very decent and we all enjoyed everything we chose but the service was very slow. There was 1 waitress on duty and although she was always busy she was not very attentive to us or anyone else waiting as far as I could tell. She would collect plates but not ask if you wanted a dessert, or take your orders and then serve another few tables before seeing to you. We normally leave a tip but on this occasion did not. It was easy to find but we went in a taxi as we didn't know the area. However the buses stopped right outside so we got a bus back to the hotel.

Overall the food couldn't be faulted but the service was poor on this occasion, maybe we were just unlucky...

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

On the whole the experience was ok.The decor and layout of the restuarant was really quite nice with an open kitchen to pass the time watching the chefs hard at work. The place was clean and tidy and from the off it looked like a good choice of venue.
What let the place down was the average service, though quick and prompt and a relatively short wait for our food it was a little lacking on smiles and the niceties which would have made all the difference.
My only other grumble would be the pricing.
Though there were some good value for money options available of a fair quality some of the items on the menu were extremely overpriced im my opinion. For example a small half pint glass of coke which seamed to have more ice than drink in it cost £2.55 ( on the receipt it says 16oz) I think this must refer to the weight of the glass and ice not the drink within. Also it cost £3.95 for a small portion of onion rings and £3.55 for a tiny portion of 'straight out the freezer' fries. Extortion!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

If you have the special priced breakfast, it is ok. I feel that the quality of the sausage is poor so i would not want to pay any more than the £5 price tag. The level of service does vary.
We have eaten here a few times. As most of the staff are fairly young they do talk among themselves and i think improvement needs to be made and employ a couple of decent managers to up the service level as food and drinks do not arrive that quickly. On two occasions i was told the teaspoons were short so we were served larger type spoons. Yes i know only a small issue but there must be a problem and it was not even busy.
When we were eating i did see the staff coming onto their shift and checking a clip board and discussing this alot. I think it must be which section they are serving.
In general this is a very casual place to eat and i would only eat here when its a special price meal.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have been to this Frankie & Benny's quite a few times. It is exactly what you expect from a chain restaurant. The food is nice enough. The service can sometimes be slow and it can be difficult to get the waiter/waitress' attention during busy periods. However this is not their fault and is the same in all of the Frankie & Benny's that I have been in. If you go during lunchtime in the week you can get a really good deal. However at other times you could be paying quite a bit more than what the food is worth. The cocktails are lovely!

It can be annoying when they turn the lights off to sing happy birthday when you are trying to look at your menu as you then can't see it. You also have to stop your conversation as the music is very loud. This once happened 5 times within the time of me eating a meal there.

Overall it's an easy going place to eat.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Went after going to cinema as wanted a quick meal as getting late at night,bad move,staff good but overworked,resulting in tables not cleaned properly,I had chicken and fries and my daughter had a burger,kitchen really needs to get chefs in that can cook and know what they are doing,my chicken was very dry and overcooked and my daughters burger was just slopped together with no emphasis on presentation,and all this took about 50 minutes,so much for a quick dinner,it is highly overpriced in relation to the overall experience,somebody is missing out on a great opportunity with this place in relation to the situation right next to the cinema,I feel the whole place could do with a real good shake up,but they need to sort out the cooks first,I say cooks because they really are not worthy of the title of chefs,won't be going again.

1  Thank GWB01

Travelers who viewed Frankie & Benny's New York Italian Restaurant & Bar - Ilford also viewed

Ilford, Greater London