“I love american diners - but this one needed a little TLC”

Frankie & Benny's New York Italian Restaurant & Bar - Ilford
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Although I'm a fan of Asian food, I do also like American diners - but the F&B in Ilford wasn't as good as I expected. Cocktails were nice - refreshing, and some good choices, but the burgers served were a little hard, dry and overcooked, although the flavour was still there. A little more focus in the kitchen guys and you'll have yourself a great diner!

Reviewed January 28, 2011

I have been to Frankie and Bennys before, always thought okay but a bit pricey, but popular for kids parties etc. but this experience will ensure that I don't return.

The restaurant is next to the cinema and therefore ideal for those hungry after the film. I booked a table for four in a booth at a particular time, I did ask for one around the edge as we have sat there in the past, no other particular reason..The assistant took our name and request, but said that at that time we would be able to sit where we liked...
After the film, we went in and were shown to a booth in the middle of the restaurant, now I would have absolutely no objection had something quite vital been there - LIGHT. I don't mean an intimate candlelight sort of glow, I mean real darkness.
I said to the waiter that I would like to move to the adjacent table with normal bright light expected in any logical situation, but he said that the table had been booked for six people, I pointed out that it was only set up for four and was no bigger than our booth..
I said that I had also booked and could not see the menu much less read it, he grimaced and shrugged his shoulders, "I'll ask the manager", he was gone a long while and there a lot of people also in the same situation all commenting and obviously unhappy, but not complaining.

He returned saying that the manager had said that the table would soon be taken and so we could not move - and what was our drinks order?.
He found it quite funny that I used the light of my i-phone to order some drinks, but seeing their price, I didnt have one.
. We took the menu over to the other booth and quickly decided on something, but really, not enticed by anything & prices were very high. I said to my family, did they want to go elsewhere? Being tired, they didn't.. Big Mistake - . should have gone there and then.
.I asked again to move as we could not see to eat..wanted to speak to manager. She seemed to have disappeared.I ordered a meal deal for £9.95, and they ordered a starter & main. By this time I had found a torch app on my phone and used this so that they could eat their food... plates were whisked away just as cutlery reached the plate, and promptly replaced with the garlic bread ordered. along with their main. I foolishly continued with this ridiculous 'human torch' scenario.
When mine came we were all prodding around in the shadows at our food.
Mine tasted nothing like what I had ordered and couldn't see what I was eating anyway Eventually ,the rest of the family gave up and we went home with food stained clothes.. and I paid a massive bill having eaten only a few mouthfulls.

A party of four came and sat in the adjacent table with light and presumably enjoyed their meal, -
Perhaps I should have booked a table for 6 then I might have seen the menu and prices in the light.

This was of course totally unacceptable and preposterous, why did we foolishly stay as long as we did - you and I ask ?... probably pure disbelief.
.A letter demanding an apology at the very least was sent but has not yet been replied to.

. .
Drinks arrived and food for my family

Reviewed October 23, 2010

I believe the cookinh staff were young and being trained, but they couldn't even flip a burger. It was like a piece of cardboard when it was served, after over an hour. It was probably cooking for the whole time. I waa still expected to pay for it. The bottled Coke was nice though as was the decor. Foolishly wasted.

1  Thank raziqrauf
Reviewed May 21, 2009

My husband and I made the mistake to go there on a whim - BIG MISTAKE! From the tables that hadn't been cleaned off even though there were only two other tables occupied when we came in, to the entire pizza slice left to ferment on the floor while several staff members walked by...This was a complete disaster! The food was rank, old, disgusting and, after only a couple of bites, we sent everything back and staggered out feeling distinctly nauseous.

A complaint to management yielded the answer that no one was surprised we couldn't stomach the food, but everyone was afraid of the cooks and therefore no "constructive criticism" was ventured. All in all, this is one of the most appalling and horrible eating establishments I have EVER had the displeasure of setting foot in - and I'm sure that if someone took a look at the kitchen, there are probably more health & safety violations than even Gordon Ramsey has seen!!!

1  Thank centralperky31
Reviewed December 29, 2008

Myself, partner, grandparent and 4 teenagers visited the Bury St Edmunds Frankie & Benny's last night - the food really was poor. The restaurant was not overly busy, but the food was overcooked, soggy and the so called 'herb potatoes' were so overcooked much of it was inedible. Unfortunately as it was a Christmas get together, we didn't want to make a fuss, and foolishly said nothing.

We've been to this restaurant on many occasions in the past, and always had a nice time, but last night has cast a shadow over any possible future evenings there.

1  Thank Jules1962

Travelers who viewed Frankie & Benny's New York Italian Restaurant & Bar - Ilford also viewed

Ilford, Greater London