“Staff have a long way to go”

Elephant Royale Gants Hill
Ranked #101 of 272 Restaurants in Ilford
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've not been here for about five years, the menu has not changed, there's all the Thai classics you could wish for although not the most authentic food it was ok. The yellow crab curry was the star of the show although the crab itself was way overcooked, the sauce was really good. For a local restaurant it's not at all cheap. The service was pretty poor and the restaurant was only 30% full on a Saturday night so they are obviously not ticking all the boxes somewhere. I had to chase service all night, we were not 'served' just service to a basic level ie Nandos style, staff had no idea of drinks on offer or how to describe a dish and took my dessert order only to return after a long wait of 10minutes only to tell me they had run out. I wouldn't be putting so much emphasis on the service if they didn't apply a 12.5% charge on the bill, it wasn't deserved in the slightest. It's a shame. I would probably not go back.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The interior is pretty good with running water and a small wooden bridge over the water.

The staff were really friendly and looked after me so no complaints there.

I think the food was a little pricey.

I had a that soup which was OK. It lacked a bit of flavour compared to other Thai soups I've had in the past.

I ordered a Thai curry with bed for main plus some sticky rice, which was not on the menu. The rice was very good but the curry was average. It just lacked a wow factor for me that I've experienced in other Thai restaurants.

1  Thank GlennRobinson
Reviewed April 20, 2013

went for my birthday was the best time ever, the food was so lovely,and the singer was great. we had so much fun .family and me have been back lots of times and always have good food and happy times there.

1  Thank rona c
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

What a gorgeous interior! It looks a bit dark in the waiting area but once you reach your table you'll be impressed.

Half the dishes amazing. Half were pretty poor. Suppose it is pot luck!

Only issue is price. You'd expect it to be high but it is too high!

1  Thank LondonNews
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The most unauthentic Thai food we have ever tasted! Pad thai tasted of sweet and sour, the coconut rice was grey and stodgy, the mixed vegetables were bland. Really disappointed.