“Fresh Chinese/Indian Street Food in Ilford”

Wok Wala - Street Kitchen
Ranked #28 of 259 Restaurants in Ilford
Cuisines: Chinese, Fast Food, Asian, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Wok Wala - Street Kitchen. Pan Asian flavours. Fresh ingredients, Healthy, Fast, Simple foods. Sauces made from scratch! Friendly Staff! Some are calling us Halal Chinese and Indian - We call our cuisine Pan Asian Fusion - We are something a little bit different!
london
“Fresh Chinese/Indian Street Food in Ilford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Went to this following recommendations from other local friends and now recommending it! You pick and choose what you want in your meal from a variety of meat/veg, bases and sauces and can be Indian, Chinese or even both! The food is cooked in front of you in the kitchen which doesn't take too long. Prices are affordable for £5 regular and £6 large.

My only disappointment is the lack of seating, so wouldn't be able to go with my large family.

1 Thank chotipagli

“Love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Love the food! Freshly made in front of you!
Love the idea, nothing like this in the area!
Love the service, it's fast and it's great to see the owners so hands on!
One of my favourite places!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Xifrah13X
“Good food, very nice place, fresh cooked in front of you.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Nice place. The manager Ollie was very courteous to me and my kids. We all enjoyed the meal, and love that you can see all the fresh ingredients in front of you. Indian, Chinese & Thai food all in one place. You'll like it. :-)

2 Thank ellie456
West Ham
“Nice Spicy Food - Good Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

A friend from work highly recommended this one, so I thought I would give it a try. Yes - pretty good ! Basically, you pick a base - I had South Asian Potato Biryani. You could go for noodles, if you prefer. Then you pick your meat, fish or tofu. I went for the Chicken Tikka. Next, you say which two veggies you like - They are all laid out in trays in front of you. Here I opted for mushrooms and the mixed peppers. The last thing to decide on is your sauce. There are about 8 Chinese and 4 or 5 Indian ones. I went for the Madras. Anyway, they cook it straight away in a big wok and you can watch what they do through the glass. It all took about 10 mins and you can either have it as a take away or eat it there, which is what I did. With a drink it came to around £8 which I thought was pretty good value. It's all served up in a nice box with the ingredients on the side in case you forgot what you ordered (like me.) Pretty spicy - nice flavours. I would go again for sure. The only criticism was that they have the doors wide open and it was pretty cold in there. Aside from that I was very pleased with what I had and the price.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank JennyDarkinse
Barking, Essex, UK
“Amazing Variety of Dishes - Super-Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Got a very attractively designed flyer through my door today advertising this newish restaurant, so my partner, Shelley and I took the plunge and decided to give it a go. We were not disappointed.

For about £20 in total we got 2 very large portions of freshly cooked Indo-Chinese food and a large drink each. The meal was rounded off with 2 of the nicest ice creams we have ever tasted.

The staff were all smiles and very welcoming. They clearly explained the concept and politely answered the few questions we had. It was quite exciting really.

In brief, you design your own dish from a huge range of ingredients. Then it is freshly cooked, right before your eyes, by the wokwala (that is to say the chef). The whole process takes about 5-6 minutes flat. It's all healthy stuff, with no MSG and a great choice for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.

The food is brought to your table in a large square cardboard container and you can eat it either with a fork or chopsticks. We chose the former.

With such a huge range of delicious ingredients on offer, everyone was tasting all their friend's dishes, as well as their own. We overheard comments like "Oh, that's nice - What sort of sauce was that?", several times from different tables. There was a very relaxed, happy buzz about the place.

The restaurant is small but comfortable and attractively decorated. You sit on nice chunky wooden benches at an equally chunky wooden table. The main attraction is the open plan kitchen area where you can watch your food being prepared through the glass.

It's very new and very different. I hope they get the success they deserve.

2 Thank mikestarr