“Quality can vary”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
“Quality can vary”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have visited the Chelmsford restaurant several times. In the main, the food is good but there has been one or two hiccups. The last time I went with friends two of use had rib eyed steak. These steaks are reputed to be the most tender of steaks - they turned out to be not better than their other steaks on the menu. My friend complained the most and he got his money back. Their fish and chips are a good standard meal.

• Visited December 2013

“horrid meal”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Since the opening of Miller and Carter and there expansion of restaurants the quality has completely gone down hill. I thought I would try this particular branch with a friend only to regret it once again. To start I opted for the 'recommend' chicken wings. The food was border line warm and I couldn't manage to finish it, whilst my friend ordered the garlic bread which had obviously been left sitting on the counter for too long as the cheese was hard and cold. We chose the usual Miller and Carter steak experience where you are given a bowl of lettuce, a choice of steak and sides. After choosing the Fillet steak to be cooked medium I was given a lump of meat practically still breathing it was so rare. After sending it back, it returned less than 2 minutes later and appeared no different. After picking around the cooked edges enough was enough and asked for the bill to exclude both dishes as they were not acceptable. The waitress clearly wasn't pleased with our complaint and wandered off to speak to the manager. He did not once approach our table with an explanation or apology and management skills were a complete disgrace. If your going to class yourself as a 'steak house' as least learn how to cook it. And as for the manager - hiding in your kitchen and pretending to be busy sets a great example of how you choose to run a restaurant.

3 Thank Esouthgate
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
“First complaint in years”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My family have been going to Miller and Carter Ilford for various occasions over the past 8 years or so, had great meals and good times there and never faulted it.
My sister booked a table for eight for her birthday and all was well for the first hour. My brother ordered one of the chicken dishes only to be told 10 minutes after ordering that particular dish wasn't available.
We waited over an hour for our main courses. There was no apology nor explanation from our waiter who was busy serving 10 tables. When all the meals arrived, you could tell they'd been kept warm under the lamp for some considerable time; the chicken schnitzels looked like they were over deep fried then dried out under the lamp. We were ravenous so tucked in then gradually realised various parts of our meals were missing (we'd had them numerous times before and had something to go by) such as parsnip crisps, roasted red peppers, mushroom and watercress garnish.The waiter was too busy with other diners to stop and ask "Is everything all right?" so when I mentioned the missing parsnips to him he went off to fetch them. He got sidetracked and realised he still hadn't brought my parsnips when he walked past us 15 minutes later. He returned saying the kitchen staff had just told him they had no more parsnips. We didn't want to wait another hour for the deserts so paid. Our waiter then explained they were using a new system when taking orders. We knew it wasn't his fault he was overstretched.
The manager must have thought it was our first visit treating us like idiots telling us that all staff including our waiter were aware there were no parsnip crisps and we should have been told on ordering and as for the lack of roasted red peppers from the sea bass meals, apparently they aren't included which means we've been given the wrong meals for the past 10 times!
He then proceeded with "better service next time" but we won't be going back there!
What Miller + Carter Ilford needs is a decent manager and more staff.

2 Thank Ninja B
Chigwell, United Kingdom
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Been to this Miller & Carter at least a handful of times now & will be returning again. Booked table for Friday night so had something nice to look forward to at end of what I knew was going to be a busy week work wise. As always I wasn't let down, food was spot on, service was really good as always. The place has had a make over since my last visit, IMO it looks even better. If you haven't tried it then what you waiting for.......

Visited January 2014
Romford, United Kingdom
“Freezing to the point could not enjoy food”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Went to this restaurant yesterday. Arrived at 3:15 on a very cold Sunday afternoon. Decided to have a drink in the bar for an hor before eating. There was no heating on and it was really cold in there so we were looking forward to going through to the restaurant to warm up a bit......no chance.... We were taken through and it was freeeeezing in there as well. People sitting there in puffa coats etc eating!. I asked our waitress to please put heating on and she came back nd said 'its on a timer and would be on shortly". We waited, still freezing and had a drink. No heating came on so we were moved to another table they said was warmer....no warmer at all and people in that area were all cold with coats on as we'll!!!. Our main meals came up and my husbands T Bone steak was inedible with all sinews running through it!. We asked to seethe manager. She came over and was not atall apologetic about the heating not being on. She just said they were having problems with it. She had an attitude and was not friendly atall. We will not be eating there again!. Shame as we have used The Dick Turpin for years and years but its changed now and is not the same.

2 Thank whitemandebbie