“Unimpressed with service, cleanliness or prices”
Review of Miller & Carter

Miller & Carter
Ranked #24 of 264 Restaurants in Ilford
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Unimpressed with service, cleanliness or prices”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We (5 of the family) visited on 20 August, for an A level celebration and wedding anniversary. We were seated immediately (7.30pm) and the menu looked fine. However....the service was poor; the detailed cleaning is lousy, and my first steak was inedible. First of all, although the air conditioning was cooling well, the fans were clattering like old cars, throughout the visit. When the main courses were delivered, the waitress mixed up my ribeye with a rump steak; tried to swop them after we had started to eat them; then realised they were right all along, so swopped them back! Then I took two tries (with their large steakknife supplied) to cut my ribeye and failed. I tried chewing the first piece to find it streaked with tendon - in fact the whole steak was ribboned with tendons and was therefore inedible, so I rejected the meal. My family had almost finished their meal before I got a replacement which, admittedly, was of a far higher standard and in fact pretty tasty.
My daughter dropped her bag and, while looking for it couldn't help seeing down the wall-side of the bench we were sitting on - the gap between it and the wall were filled with a layer of food debris and crumbs, probably from wiping down the tables end to end; disgusting.
To cap it all, the waitress (and the young lady who seemed to be the duty manager) both insisted on addressing us as 'guys' (3 females and 2 males), and the ladies as 'darling', in a false attempt at familiarity. What's wrong with 'sir', 'madam' and 'everyone'?
The prices are on the high side of reasonable for a chain restaurant and, given our experience, were not good value. Lastly, I complained online using the Miller and Carter online tool, and have not heard from them since. Not recommended.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Mark G

Shannon, Ireland
“Good food, small portions”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The main courses were lovely and well presented. The portions are a little small for the cost - It's reasonably priced but the portion size isn't great. The highlight of the meal was the ice cream, it was fantastic! So creamy and delicious :) The service was fine but slow. We weren't in any rush so it was fine with us. There's a nice outdoor space out back.

• Visited August 2013
London
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Been here twice now and have to say both times were a good experience.

The venue is really nice both inside and the seating outside.

Staff have on both occasions been good and the last time very attentive.

Food was ok, pretty tasty and well presented.

I will come back.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great steak, not cheap, but not overpriced”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Been here a number of times, never been disappointed.

With the steaks you get a salad starter included, with a dressing to go with it, and they taste great.

Your steak comes with a range of sauces, I love the borderlaise (sp) sauce.

My wife adores the Wellington.

Drinks are average price for a place of this standard.

A meal for 2 will be £40-60 for 3 courses and drinks.

Have been here as a couple, and as family for birthdays

• Visited June 2013
“Lovely Staff”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is a difficult one, we do go there quite often and will return, the staff are always very good, one a bit too personal and over friendly - one wants attentive, but not in your face.... sometimes the food is excellent, sometimes not - on the whole it is a pretty good meal, but not for a special occasion, for a general stop off meal, I would say go there. But for a special occasion go to a good restaurant - this is more of a step up from a pub meal - if you are not happy they will do what they can to help, but they have changed the menu and the portions have gone minimal but the prices have not!!! so our recent visit was disappointing.

• Visited April 2013