“Friendly Staff and Good Hotel”

City Best Hotel Limited
Ranked #11 of 15 Ilford B&B and Inns
London
“Friendly Staff and Good Hotel”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for my business trip. The staff went over their way to help me order the best Indian cuisine. The room service was excellent. I had linen changed every day. The room was smelling good and pleasant. I was quite area and perfect for business clients. The only drawback was wifi is only in reception but if you have a smart phone then it should not matter. Very close to Train station and buses.

Room Tip: Best hotel in the area and friendly staff. Book a triple room it is more spacious
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rukhsana S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed i the hotel and must say this is the best value hotel in Ilford.
Staff was excellent and she was ready to help in every manner. Take away from their sister company was excellent. 5 points to them cheers......

Room Tip: Clean and Fresh rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I arrived to find the City Best hotel to be a rather plain terrace of joined houses quite like the Beatles communal house in the Hard Day’s Night film (showing my age!). I was very unhappy to discover that my card had already been debited with the cost of the room before I arrived. I was told that I had booked the last room, given the key and directions out of the main door to one of several other doors on the terrace – the room number was not in evidence anywhere. When I eventualy found the room after several minutes, it had no ensuite as advertised but the main problem was the overpowering smell of sweaty bodies, damp and cigarette smoke. The carpets were stained as was the bedding, walls and paintwork dingy and better furnishing could be found in a charity shop. I went back to reception and asked for a refund and left. When I spoke later with the owner, the new receptionist (who was very helpful) was blamed for allocating that particular room when others were in fact available.

I was in the middle of finding another room in the vicinity (using the booking.com app which is excellent by the way) when I had a call from the receptioist offering me a special room, I thought I’d investigate. The second room was clean at least, even though sparesly furnished. There were problems in the room, with the doors not wanting to close, there being no curtains at the bathroom window, no plug in the basin and no shaver point – however a great improvement on the previous room and it was late so I decided to stay. The shower would not maintain a steady temperature, oscilating between scalding and freezing - character forming I suppose. Oh by the way they have no dining room but the High Street is but a short walk.

I was woken at 0619hrs by smog in the room – the kitchens were cooking the bacon for breakfast and I think the extractor must have vented into my room – it was nauseating. Worse was to come because on entering the bathroom my nostrils were assailed by the stench of sewage - a faulty loo connection (of some age by the looks of the attempts to reseal) the culprit.

Breakfast was a help yourself buffet of very poor quality – the bacon was like leather, presumably it had been cooked at 0619 and left on the heat. Eggs were solid and congealed and swimming in an inch of fat, mushrooms were swimming in water and had absolutely no taste at all – need I go on? Staff were too busy chatting round the coffee trolley to notice my attempts to obtain coffee – I shouldn’t have bothered because it was undrinkable. One round of toast is all you get, the orange juice was drinkable and the baked beans were ok once you’d broken through the crust!

Breakfast finished at 0830, and I mean finished, the room was cleared and the door to the very small breakfast room locked to prevent any late comers gaining access.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CheekieChappyDW

Travelers are raving about these Ilford hotels

Lonmdon
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I travel last month on December 2012 at 22.00 in the hotel. It was really good worm well come from receptionist nicely ask me every thing he taken only few mins and show me the room. Room was good i paid only 45.00 for one night. English Breakfast it was good. Room service was ok. Train station is not to far 4 mins walk distance from hotel.I would say receptionist was good at night time.i want to travel again City Best hotel i loved it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Leamington Spa
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel is a dump. I was travelling with my wife and two daughters on 31st October for 1 night. We arrived late (11pm) and the 24 hour reception was in darkness and locked. When the night porter eventually opened the door to let us in he couldn't be bothered to even put a light on! Then his mate turned up with a take-away. We had two rooms, No. 16 and I think No. 42 (top attic room). In our room No.42 there was no running hot water, the shower ran cold and the toilet didn't flush. No. 16 stank of nicotine but at least the shower worked (although it was the smallest shower I have ever seen). We also had to wait 20 minutes sat on the stairs for a table in the restaurant for breakfast. This is not a good hotel. In fact this hotel is the worst I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: find another hotel but if you have to stay here don't get the attic room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel takes budget to a whole new level! I can understand low cost hotels are minimal and basic as far as facilities are concerned but this one simply didn't try to even meet those requirements. The room was like a sauna due to the radiator being broken in the on position, the door didn't actually shut properly without being locked and therefore the door swung open at the slighest breeze, the furniture was all shabby with chunks missing where things have clearly been slammed on them, the shower head was held up by a piece of cardboard, there was no plug in the sink so you couldn't fill it up to wash, the light had no lamp shade so was a bare bulb right in front of the tv, the bedside lamp had no switch and to turn it on you physically had to move the wardrobe out in order to turn the plug on and the worst thing of all was the positioning of the room we were given - They have clearly used every inch of the building to within an inch of its life, our room was in the eves of the roof (room 27) therefore the ceiling sloped across the bed meaning if you sat up you'd hit your head on the ceiling which evidentally people had already done by the state of holes in it and the room is next to the water tanks so at 6am when others were showering we were woken by banging noises, if the wind blew outside it sounded and felt like the roof was going to cave in on us and just to add an element of worry to the whole situation the fire alarm panel had a fault and had been placed in silence mode.
If we were staying any longer in the area than the two nights we would have moved hotel without a second thought. It now makes sence why you are required to pay before your stay.
AVOID!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 26 / 27 if you must stay here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The room was diabolical. StAined floors, stain bed sheets with hair all over them. Dirty bathrooms and worst of all the staff are rude and ignorant and do not want to help!! All the other hotels near this hotel are lovely and would advise you to stay in them but this one needs to be burnt down!

• Stayed August 2012