“A good solution to avoid London hotel prices”

Best Western London Ilford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Ilford
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Located close to the train station, and only 15 min away from the centre of London by train, the hotel is a good choice if you want to visit London without having to pay London hotel prices. It is simple and clean, the breakfast is descent.
The breakfast staff could be more friendly and smiling, but the service is descent.

Room Tip: The hotel is probably not located in the best area and I would not recommend staying there with your...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stephane B
Hotel M, Manager at Best Western London Ilford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Stephane,

Nice to see that in general your stay with us was good and satisfactory. I’m happy to know that you have got value for money as this is our aim – to provide a qualitative accommodation for reasonable price.

I hope to see you again in nearest future.

Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night & was not dussapointed. Had a great experience. Walking distance from Little Ilford station, which was bit handy for us. Good value for money. Room. & bathroom both were clean. Didn't wait for breakfast, as we were on rush. Will be back soon.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Nadim S

Dear Nadim,

Thank you very much for such a lovely review.
It is the biggest reward for us to know that you enjoyed accommodation and service provided.
And we are very happy to know that you are planning to become our regular guest. It means a lot for us.

Again thanks for you time and we will see you in the nearest future.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Me and my family stayed onthe weekend of 21st Sept 2013. We found the hotel quite easily just behind the shopping area of ilford.the check-in was very quick and effeicent.When we went to our rooms we found them to be clean and tidy but they were a bit on the small side.The Next morning the breakfast was buffet with other hot food prepared to order, the food was of reasonable standard.Overall the was adequate for what we needed and the staff were also helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Naresh2013

Dear Mr Naresh,

Thank you for nice review.
It is a pleasure for us to know that overall your stay with us pleasant and enjoyable. Glad to know that the room and breakfast met your expectations.

Please let us know whenever you planning to come next time and we will make sure you get a room of a bigger size.

Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel recently and found the staff polite and helpful.The breakfast was good and the staff again helpful.Our room a standard double would have been better suited to be a single as there was little room to manouvre,being a disabled person I found it difficult and my wife also had problems getting into bed.The toilet facilites were adequate.
On our first night we had rather noisy neighbours above,so we had a poor night,the second night was better.

Room Tip: Upgrade if possible.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Maurice,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I’m very glad to see the staff praise as they are trying their best to make the stay of each and every guest memorable and enjoyable.
I’m sorry to know that you experienced difficulties with your room. Taking the opportunity I would like to let you know that we have a room which was designed for people with disabilities. It is a spacious room which is situated on the ground floor. So please do request it whenever you decide to come next time and we will definitely allocate it for you.

Thank again for you time and we hope to see you in nearest future.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Requiring a budget hotel for a one-night stay in London on a Saturday night, within 30 minutes of the centre, I was starting to run out of options until I stumbled upon via laterooms what appeared to be a Best Western for less than 60 quid a night, with breakfast.

It looked too good to be true, as the only other options in this price bracket were either university halls, total dives (check out the Dharma Lodge in Enfield) or too far away in Watford or Welwyn Garden City. I'd been to Ilford before through my work and knew it's an OK area, only 20 mins via Liverpool St by Greater Anglia Trains and in Zone 4 as an added bonus. The hotel is only 5 mins walk from the station and a host of amenities like takeaways, restaurants, convenience stores etc.

Downsides: Seems harsh to be critical at this price point but here goes: there's very limited car parking at the hotel and most of the immediate area is residents' parking or on meters. You could use a P&D in Ilford centre for 6 quid over night; I chose to park for free on a side street about 15 minutes walk away. On arrival at 7pm, check-in was efficient but it took staff 3 attempts to get the keycard to my room to work (apparently they know there's a problem with room 25...)

Upsides: Room clean, nicely furnished and en-suite recently decorated by the look of it. Very good shower (shamefully still not a given in UK 3* hotels). Decent sized Samsung flat screen TV. Very quiet room overlooking residential street.

Overall, a little rough round the edges but I've paid 100 a night to stay in places of similar quality in the south-east, would definitely use again for a weekend in London.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SwindonImp
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night to use as a base for our trip into london! Reception staff were very friendly, even loaning us a brolly for the day. Room is small but clean and has everything you need. Situated literally round the corner from ilford station where with only 2 changes on tube you can be in central london in half hr max. Breakkie was a bit lack lustre but filled a hole. Will definitely stay here again as a base.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Thanks to a healthy dose of apathy, I have never written a review on tripadvisor before. However, thanks to my experience at the Best Western in Ilford I have been moved to write one.

I booked this hotel at the last minute. This hotel is in Ilford, which is one of the worst suburbs of London. It is not a pleasant area to stay in and can even feel a little threatening at night. It is not near the centre, but trains can take you into Liverpool street in about 20mins. It is in an area full of low grade hotels.

I was put in a room across the road in a new annex. My room was in the basement, with virtually no natural light. There was a thin blind to cover the door, which did very little to shut out the bright lights from the corridor. It was mid summer and warm when I stayed at the hotel and the room was absolutely boiling, with no AC or fan. The hotel is used as a base for 24 hour highway maintenance workers and other tradesmen. They constantly entered the annex and my corridor throughout the night. Needless to say I got no sleep.

I requested a change of room the following day. This was arranged. The reception staff were ok and did this without fuss, but they really should not have put me into a virtually unihabitable room in the first place. The second room was in the same building as the reception. It was small and cramped and also boiling. The window could only open about 2 centremetres and there were no fans in reception. At least I was not kept awake by the tradesmen.

I am a professional from the UK and am pretty tolerant of discomfort having travelled extensively in the past and stayed at numerous hotels around the globe. This includes some real dumps. Quite simply, this was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at. It is very puzzling how any one can rate this hotel positively. As I assume that everyone writing reviews about this hotel on Tripadviser is honest and upstanding I can only deduce that they must have extremely low expectations. I also have no idea why Best Western have put their name against this place. London is full of dodgy hotels and dodgy review. However, I would very strongly advise anyone to look at other options before booking this hotel. Although they offer false rates, when you wake bleary eyed the next day, you will realise that it is a false economy. Spend a little more if need be to at least get a good nights sleep!

Al

Room Tip: If you really must stay here, avoid the basement rooms in the annex.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alwayshappyboy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilford
Best Western Greater London Hotel
Lucky 8 Hotel
Lucky 8 Hotel
#2 of 14 in Ilford
Travelodge London Ilford

Been to Best Western London Ilford Hotel? Share your experiences!