“Ideal for business travel”

BEST WESTERN London Ilford Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Ilford
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Ideal for business travel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have just returned from staying here for 5 nights whilst on a training course with a colleague.

Firstly check-in- We checked in at about 21.00 on a Sunday evening and it was effortless, both of us (two rooms) done within 5 minutes by a friendly receptionist.

Now the room (room 9)- My room was tiny, supposed to be a double. Although it had a double bed in it, there is no way on earth that two people would be able to stay in that room comfortably. The bed was so close to the wall one side that if a second person tried to get in, they would have burnt their legs on the heater as this was only about 8 inches from the bed. The room was very clean and it offered good facilities (TV, tea & coffee, Hair dryer, Audio visual connections plus WiFi and LAN). One small complaint on facilities is that it only had 3 hangers on a hanging rail and no wardrobe. The bathroom was hard work, I'm 6`6" and I could have probably washed my feet in the shower whilst sat on the loo. The hand basin was practically unusable as it was tiny and there was a glass shelf above, which was almost the same size. The shower cubicle was a struggle too, but I'm not the smallest of guys.
The noise was a bit of an issue as I could quite easily hear my neighbouring rooms conversations and from the room above I was treated to the soundtrack of their bedroom gymnastics.

Breakfast - The quality and selection of the food was great, apart from NO BACON, what Full English is complete without bacon?. The dining hall staff were great, helpful and attentive every morning greeting you with a smile.

Parking - There are only space for 11 cars but there are 35 rooms, this is compensated by an overspill car park in the next street which you obtain a permit from reception to use.

Location and local area - This hotel is in a quiet side street just a few minutes walk from Ilford station with regular services to Liverpool St & Stratford. It is also a couple of minutes from the main shopping area which has a range of high street shops along with some restaurants and bars. I would highly recommend The Great Spoon of Ilford which is a JD Weatherspoon pub which serves very reasonable food at a great price and cheap beer.

My colleagues room was slightly bigger than mine but he still had noise issues.

My overall impression of this hotel is - It's a clean tidy hotel with great staff. If you are on business it's ideal but I would not really recommend it for a holiday stay unless you had specific reasons for being in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Ahmedabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

This hotel is very nice and clean but I would think the rooms were little too small. Just when you look for a little mote space, it is not there. Other then that the amenities in room is good, food is great. The hotel is nicely managed and professionally maintained.

Room Tip: In case you are not used to compact room size, you must check the room size..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank raju1432
Hotel M, Manager at BEST WESTERN London Ilford Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Mr Raju,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking time and reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor.
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!
I am pleased to know that the location of the hotel was convenient and you enjoyed food and service!
In regards to the room size as you mentioned in a right way we have different sizes available.
If you don't feel that the bedroom allocated is suitable please contact reception and they will offer you an alternative one.
Again, thanks for your time and hope to see you soon!

Kind Regards,

3 Argyle Road
Ilford
IG1 3BH

Fax: 02084789674
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed here on Friday night, I arrived at 11am parked no problem and was able to check in a room without fuss. Rooms are small but the whole hotel is clean and tidy. The breakfast in the morning was fine and the staff all helpfull and polite. All in all if you need to be near London withoutr being in the centre this is ideal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at BEST WESTERN London Ilford Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback. It is really appreciated.

We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us!

By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

We hope you will come back and we will see you soon.

East Midlands, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

The location of the hotel near Ilford town centre and the station is very good in a reasonably quiet side road, but the hotel has a few minus points, firstly the car parking available is totally inadequate for the number of rooms the hotel has. Reception and check in was swift and friendly but the room was ridiculously small with the bed pushed up against the wall you could barely walk between the bed and the writing desk or wardrobe. The bathroom was well equipped but again on the small size with a tiny shower cubicle. I cannot even begin to think what was used to construct the internal walls which seemed designed to transmit as much noise from one room to another as possible, or even the sound of people walking and talking in the corridors.
The breakfast was a good traditional English fry up but with turkey rashers instead of real bacon with the girks working there attentive and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank HairyO
Dear Hairy,

First of all I would like to thank you for your time and reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor.

It is nice to know that you enjoyed breakfast and service provided.

I have noted your concern on the parking problem and room size. However I am happy to let you know that we have added 17 additional parking spaces and they are within 2 min walk from the hotel.

In regards to the to the room size I would like to reassure you that different room sizes are available in our hotel and next time if you feel that the bedroom is a bit small please contact reception team and they will do their best and change the room on a bigger one for you.

I sincerely hope we will see you again in future.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Great location for access to Downtown London. Free parking right in front was definitely a great feature. It's around the corner from the train station, and what looked like a nice shopping centre, although we didn't go shopping. Stayed in room #9, and while watching TV, could hear someone snoring, but it didn't stop us from sleeping. Shower pressure was not good at all, and also water was not very warm. We stayed using frequent flyer points, so can't say anything about the price! The bed was too hard for my taste, but that's a very personal thing, so it's hard to judge for others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mandyfs
Dear Mandy,

Thank you very much for the feedback. It is really appreciated.

We are very happy to know that overall your stay was nice and pleasant.

I have noted your concern in regards to the shower problems in room 9 and can reassure that I have brought the issues to the maintenance team attention and they were fixed straight away.

I sincerely hope that we will see you again in future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is our second time here at this hotel. The staff are amazing and nothing is too small for the staff to attend to ones needs. They were very polite, always having a smile on their faces and the staff who looked after you at breakfast were very helpful indeed. The Hotel is situated 2 roads off the main road in Ilford. A 5 minute walk from Ilford Rail Station, which takes you to Liverpool St. Station. There are plenty of shops along the High St, Banks, Clothes shops, Greggs, Tesco Express, KFC, DrinksRus, Pizza Hut, 99p Sam and lots more. Cineworld is about 10-15 minute walk and there's a lovely little Chinese buffet restaurant before it. The rooms are small to average, beds are made and towels are changed on a daily basis. The breakfast is something to look forward to of a morning, especially when you are greeted with smiling and helpful staff. Booking in and out is efficient and easy with helpful and polite staff. There are rooms upstairs and downstairs and I've stayed in both. Although not all rooms have baths, most are showers only. I can honestly say that my stay with Bestwestern Ilford was a very pleasant one and always has been. I'm due to return on my next visit to London.

Room Tip: Room number 4 was quiet for us.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms Hamilton,

It is the biggest reward for us to know that you are becoming our regular guest! We are very happy to hear that we are meeting the expectations and are recommendation worthy.

Again, thanks for your time and we are looking forward to your stay!

Masham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Reviews had worried us but not our experience. The hotel is freshly done, clean and very well run. The room was a good size with a lovely bathroom and comfy bed. No problem with noise from other rooms.
Ideal location for last minute dashes to shops and train whilst being far enough away from both to be quiet.
Good parking.
Have paid considerably more to have much worse.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

I am happy to know that you decided to stay with us and we didn’t disappoint you!

We sincerely hope to see you again sometimes in future.
E-mail: manager-ilfordhotel@hotmail.co.uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilford
BEST WESTERN Greater London Hotel
Lucky 8 Hotel
Lucky 8 Hotel
#2 of 15 in Ilford
BEST WESTERN PLUS Epping Forest

Been to BEST WESTERN London Ilford Hotel? Share your experiences!