“Cinema Meal”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Warnham, United Kingdom
“Cinema Meal”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

we went in before the cinema. They accommodated us well and got us in and out in good time. The food varies, sometimes good, sometimes seems to be bagged.

Visited February 2013

Worthing, Uk
“Fabulous food if a little pricey”
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

More of a food pub than a drinking pub. Always busy which shows they are getting it right. Really friendly staff, good range of beers and very extensive menu but a little pricey. Food however was amazing. You need to book a table. We will return for sure.

1 Thank R0bert_T
Horsham, United Kingdom
“GOOD ATMOSPHERE, GOOD FOOD!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had been to a matinee show at the Capitol nearby and on the spur popped in to the Black Jug for a meal.
For those that may not be familiar with the Black Jug, it's one of the old pubs in Horsham that has retained its character with wood panelling, a log fire and old wooden table and chairs. A very comfortable atmosphere.
Although only 5.30 p.m., food was being served. there was a good variety of food on the menu, nothing fancy or exotic, just good quality pub food, well cooked and nicely presented. A small downside was that the venison for the main course had been over char-grilled for my liking, but that aside we enjoyed our meal. Washed down with a nice bottle of wine, it was a nice end to an enjoyable afternoon out. Importantly too, there were no nasty surprises when the bill came!

Visited December 2012
Horsham, United Kingdom
“A great place to spend an evening with company”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have been here quite a few times as this was right outside my office. This place is kind of hard to define. Yes it has great beers but it is not exactly a drinking pub. I'm not sure why because the beers here are first class if you want good bitter. If its shorts you are after then this place has a fantastic variety of whisky here, mouth watering to taste, some eye watering to pay for! But really there is too little space for standing here and drinking. There are a lot of tables here and they want you to sit down and eat. Do so, the food is good if a little over-priced for what it is. I have two criticisms really of the food. The choice is too extensive for one thing - I'd prefer fewer dishes done better - and the other thing is that there is little choice at all if you are vegetarian. That said though I have never had anything that I felt was short on quality, nothing that failed to deliver or made me wish I'd ordered something else. The prices are a little on the high side though for what it is. But then there are rarely empty spaces and they are popular for business lunches too. The staff are good and knowledgeable of their product. The decor is good and reflects the age of the place and the old spirit of the town without being phoney. The smell and warmth of the fire is inviting on a cold evening. Beginning to wish I was there as I recall all of this.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank MGaylard
“Post-Christmas "unwind".”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I went here a few days after Christmas as a treat with my partner and son. The first impression we had was that it was very busy and we might have to wait a while for a table. After telling a member of the bar-staff that we would like to eat, we looked all round the restaurant for a table and after about 10 minutes were informed by the same member of bar-staff that he had found us one. We then perused the menu and decided to omit starters and go straight for the mains.
My partner chose the Ploughmans, I and my son had the burger. The ploughmans was average, a big chunk of cheese, small pork pie, piece of celery and apple with a portion of coleslaw, but instead of a chunky piece of crusty bread as you would expect, it was just a couple of slices of white bread. The burgers were chunky and juicy but lacked any real flavour, I felt they could have tasted better if they had some seasoning added. They were certainly not worth £11+!! The chips were, however, good and chunky and tasted lovely. For dessert, my partner had the "Spotted Dick" with custard and I went for the Trio of Sorbets. When the "Spotted Dick" arrived, it could only be described as a small island of pudding floating in a sea of custard, and tasted very dry, not like a good home-made one! The sorbets were a good flavour and very refreshing.
The atmosphere in the bar was quite busy but cheerful, and the restaurant part was also very busy. The waitresses and bar-staff were all trying to do a good job under trying conditions, but not once did any of them ask whilst we were eating our meals if everything was alright. We think if more staff had been on hand things would have run more smoothly.
Also, we couldn't work out if it was a "bar with an eatery attached" or a "restaurant with a bar", the bar was continuously surrounded by people, which was a bit tedious when trying to order food or pay for the bill. It would be ok it you have plenty of time to kill but not if you were on a tight schedule, like for example, eating before going to the Capitol Cinema/theatre. I might go again but maybe just for a drink.

• Visited December 2012