“Spanish Theme Lunch”
Review of Sumners Ponds

Sumners Ponds
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Horsham
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Nice sunny day with family and friends - food was great and beer was even better
for a busy event it was very relaxing. Location has a calming effect sitting by the pond.

There are newer reviews for Sumners Ponds

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We have recently stayed at this site and, as the title suggests, this is our new favourite place for breaks in our caravan.

Everything here has been well thought out and we had a very good stay indeed.

I intended to fish on a couple of occasions but ended up on the lakes every day! The fishing is superb (I fished on Farm Pond and Ribbon Lake) with almost non stop action on both. The on site tackle shop had everything I needed including bait.

We didn't spend any time in the bar or restaurant area but it looked pleasant - there was live music on a couple of nights which we could hear from our pitch (not an issue though).

Our young children spent a lot of time cycling around the site and they had a whale of time. They also fished with me, until they got bored, but they too caught a few tiddlers!

The shower and toilet block was first class. I've not seen facilities like these at any sites I've been to before. They were kept spotlessly clean at call times and the classical music that plays day and night was a nice touch (although I see that from previous reviews this might not always be appreciated by everyone!).

The pitch we had was a little too close to our neighbours either side of us and there are no hedges to separate pitches on the part of the site we stayed on. This wasn't a big issue but some may find this
lack of privacy a problem.

It was clear that the whole site is well managed. However, the older lady with the glasses in reception could certainly do with acknowledging that people who stay here are paying customers and not just 'another face'. On arrival I waited at the reception desk for an uncomfortable amount of time for her to look up and acknowledge me. My wife also had the same reaction from said lady when asking for something at reception - a cheery hello was met with stony silence and a blank
look. I know to some that this may be a silly gripe but, come on, we're on holiday and these impressions stay with your customers.

Minor gripes aside, which will always happen, this is a great site and we will definitely return.

Matthew M, Business Manager at Sumners Ponds, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our business. It's good to hear what went well for you and what your family enjoyed whilst on site. It is also important for us to hear what didn't go so well for you, so we can look at areas of improvement for your next stay with us.

Can I ask please that you contact me direct so I can ask a few specific questions please?

Kind regards.

Matthew Miller, Business Manager - office@sumnersponds.co.uk

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful place to go - fishing is great, very relaxing with good weekend entertainment. Good home made food, working farm with cows and home produced beef - very tasty! Lovely staff, Helen and Matt are super - always ready to help with a smiley face, owner Simon couldn't be nicer, always mucking in from making coffee to watering the plants, very knowledgeable staff that make it their mission to get their guests to have a memorable stay, heartily recommended!!! Have fun at Sumners time and time again...... X

Reviewed July 29, 2013

You can see that they have been very busy making improvements on the lakes & roads, but the early closing of the cafe & poor service was a let down. The food was average, the staff were helpful, but ran around helpless for a while trying to track down customers & sorting simple but annoying problems. Only one toilet inside is a shame. In time I would imagine that this will be a great place, just keep the investment going, put on a few more events through the year & it will be a great place to go again.

1  Thank Andy1963-10
Matthew M, Business Manager at Sumners Ponds, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the business.
I'm sorry that we have recently had issues with the service in our restaurant.
Following recent feedback, we have this week reviewed our staffing rota and taken on more staff. We have also introduced a new restaurant booking system for weekends, with a view to improving the dining experience for our customers.
For information, our café/restaurant opening times are:
Monday - 8am to 5pm (food served 8am to 4pm).
Tuesday - Saturday 8am to 10:30pm (food is served 8am to 4pm then 5:30pm to 8:30pm).
Sunday – Sunday 9am to 10pm. (food is served 8am to 4pm then 5:30pm to 8:30pm).
We have invested substantial sums into the site over the last 5 years. Most recently with an ultra-modern shower & toilet block last year. Whilst we do have in excess of 15 toilets available on site, there is currently only one available within the immediate restaurant area. We do have plans for additional toilet facilities, for restaurant users and these will be actioned as soon as we can.
Do feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further.
Kind regards.
Matthew Miller office@sumnersponds.co.uk

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed at Sumners Ponds a couple of times. Its a lovely campsite with great toilet and shower facilities and a lovely bar/restaurant on the lake. Great for groups of families and friends who fancy a weekend camping together.