“Birthday meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Restaurant Tristan

Restaurant Tristan
Ranked #2 of 161 Restaurants in Horsham
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Housed in a 16th Century building in the historic town of Horsham, Restaurant Tristan opened in 2008 and has been a firm favourite with local foodies ever since. Inside, original wooden beams contrast with contemporary style to create an intimate setting for lunch or dinner. Chef and Proprietor Tristan Mason worked in top restaurants like The Greenhouse and Mirabelle before becoming Head Chef at The Hare where he achieved his first Michelin Star. The menu at Restaurant Tristan is predominantly British with some creative French influences, with dishes like terrine of pheasant and turbot with truffle risotto taking centre stage. Ingredients are locally sourced wherever possible and the extensive wine list is designed to complete this truly unforgettable dining experience.
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Birthday meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have eaten in many fine restaurants, but last night I found my favourite starter ever. The venison tartare, beetroot risotto with horseradish sorbet was awesome, I was salivating between each mouthful, it looked really pretty and tasted even better, in fact it was that good I would not even share a mouthful of it with my other half. The service was friendly and attentive, the ambiance was really great and overall it was a lovely evening, we will return,

• Visited October 2013

East Grinstead
“Lovely food even better service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We dined at Tristan for a 40th Birthday. There were six in our party including two younger children (5 and 8). I was a little apprehensive as to how the children would be accommodated as some restaurants like this can be a little snooty. However, I couldn't have been further from the truth as I found the service staff to be wonderfully accommodating and extremely friendly, which made the stay even more enjoyable.

On to the actual food, we decided to go for a tasting menu while the children had a two course meal. I found the food outstanding and particularly enjoyed the scallop dish. I couldn't fault the place or food at all and would highly recommend this to anyone. It is quite expensive but you get what you pay for.

• Visited September 2013
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Good but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Don't get me wrong, the food served is good and the selection of wines is really interesting, with prices that are absolutely reasonable for such a fine-dining place.
Given that the restaurant is awarded one Michelin star, I was expecting a customer experience that would blow my mind from A to Z, not just a good culinary experience. I didn't happen... The decoration of the dining room is average, unfortunately. The member of staff who checked our booking was not really welcoming and the waiters were overacting, coming across pedantic.
However, definitively one of the greatest places for food/wine in Horsham & surroundings, at an affordable price level.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Gregory T
Weybridge
“Exceeded expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

In the pleasantly airy dining room, we enjoyed the Taste menu for lunch. First thing to say, I disagree with the comments that the service is too slow. You cannot be rushed through a 5 course meal and the amount of time we were given between courses was, in my view, just right. The food is imaginative, original, good contrast in taste and texture. The presentation is excellent and we appreciated the use of seasonal ingredients such as cobnuts and rarely used vegetables. Altogether this is a restaurant to go back to and its Michelin star is well deserved.

• Visited September 2013
Horsham
“Well worthy of its star”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Tristan was not my first choice , I was looking for a great local restaurant for my wife's 50th birthday treat. The other local restaurant could not accommodate our requirements so I took a look at Trip Advisor as was impressed with what had been said. Well I can tell those that offered 5 stars did not exaggerate. Our party all order the Tasting Menu , 6 courses of culinary heaven. Scallops, lamb , quail , grouse each dish as good as the first. Small portions but by the end of this you will not want a morsel more. Fine and reasonable priced wines all made for a great experience , at the kind of price you'd expect of a Michelin star restaurant but you won't regret it.

Visited September 2013