“Alas disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 164 Restaurants in Horsham
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Housed in a 16th Century building in the historic town of Horsham, Restaurant Tristan opened in 2008 and has been a firm favourite with local foodies ever since. Inside, original wooden beams contrast with contemporary style to create an intimate setting for lunch or dinner. Chef and Proprietor Tristan Mason worked in top restaurants like The Greenhouse and Mirabelle before becoming Head Chef at The Hare where he achieved his first Michelin Star. The menu at Restaurant Tristan is predominantly British with some creative French influences, with dishes like terrine of pheasant and turbot with truffle risotto taking centre stage. Ingredients are locally sourced wherever possible and the extensive wine list is designed to complete this truly unforgettable dining experience.
Surrey
“Alas disappointed”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We had lunch a few times at Tristan and were awed by the chef's abilities. Alas on our anniversary we decided to have dinner there to celebrate our special night. My husband informed the staff that it was to be a celebration , so he was quite dismayed when we were shown to what must be the worst table in the room, facing the toilets and the kitchen. We requested a move and the staff kindly obliged. We knew the dinner was going to be much more expensive but we expected it to be even better than the lunches. Alas we were disappointed and it spoiled our celebration. The dinner just did not match up with the superb food of the lunches . My husband's scallops were nicely presented and delicious but my rabbit was bland and hidden under a mound of salad. For our second course , my sea-bream was delicate and lovely but alas the sauce of my husband's steak was heavy and he did not enjoy it at all. we shared one dessert and alas it also was bland. The bill came to £110 and we felt unhappy as compared the lunches at just £47 for the two of us the value and the food was a disappointment as we had expected much more and it just did not happen.
Sorry Tristan, we shall come again but only for lunch.

Tavistock, United Kingdom
“Staff should get the Gratuities!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Had a fantastic meal with fantastic service. However when the bill came there was a voluntary service charge of 12%. I checked with the waiter that they would receive this tip and he told me that they did not. I asked for it to be removed from the bill and left cash however I was not convinced they would get that either. This is very misleading and I don't expect it from a high class restaurant. Soured what would have been an excellent experience.

• Visited May 2013
TristanHorsham, Owner at Restaurant Tristan, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. I take all reviews made by my customers seriously and thank you for taking the time to write a review for my restaurant. All the staff receive gratuities left by customers at the end of each week. I would like to reassure all my customers that if you are kind enough to leave a gratuity for whatever reason then this will be fairly distributed to my staff. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding and I look forward to seeing you at Restaurant Tristan in the near future. Tristan Mason Owner and Head Chef
Horsham
“Great once again”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We went to Tristan's once again. It is our second time back since it received its star. We went for a family get together over lunch. Personally having been there several times since it first opened, the quality has taken a step up. There is a consistency about the food and a better front of house than even a year ago. I was not disappointed at all. There is a limited lunchtime menu, but that has always been the case. They have expanded to allow choices from other menu's which is good. Having said that the value of the lunchtime menu was partly what appealed when we had a group of 8 of us. I can't fault them. I am now looking forward to my next visit.

Visited June 2013
“Nice meal in personal restaurant”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant just off East St & quite personal. Had a lovely leek & haddock amuse bouche & pork & squid main & cheese selection to finish. Enjoyed a good selection of wines with it. Only negative is we asked for one plate without squid and it wasn't. However a good experience.

• Visited June 2013
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Nice but below (high) expectations”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We ate here for a special meal for my wife's birthday specifically because it was a Michelin listed restaurant. We have eaten before at a similar rated restaurant and had a special and memorable meal and this fell just short of that. Good but not truly great. The menu was a little more limited than we thought would be the case for a Friday night but we found enough choice to select a two course meal and a bottle of wine. Service was attentive and personal. The bill came to around £115. I think we have been spoiled in the past and would still recommend this restaurant as a high standard of well presented food, the table next to us were raving about their meal!