“Gone down”

Ranked #2 of 170 Restaurants in Horsham
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Housed in a 16th Century building in the historic town of Horsham, Restaurant Tristan opened in 2008 and has been a firm favourite with local foodies ever since. Inside, original wooden beams contrast with contemporary style to create an intimate setting for lunch or dinner. Chef and Proprietor Tristan Mason worked in top restaurants like The Greenhouse and Mirabelle before becoming Head Chef at The Hare where he achieved his first Michelin Star. The menu at Restaurant Tristan is predominantly British with some creative French influences, with dishes like terrine of pheasant and turbot with truffle risotto taking centre stage. Ingredients are locally sourced wherever possible and the extensive wine list is designed to complete this truly unforgettable dining experience.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Attended the Tristan for a birthday lunch. I have been here for an evening meal before and it was really good. There has been a vast change in everything about the place.
The people who have rated this highly obviously went to a different place than me and my family
This place has really gone down in my estimations. I can't speak for the evening service now but I will never be returning in the near future.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Haven't been to Tristan's since they obtained their Michelin Star. Week day meals are still available which makes visiting such good value. Fabulous food and excellent service. Love it.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We ate from the “Select Menu” which has a choice of only two for starters and main course, and 3 including cheese for desert. This was excellent value, but could be a bit limiting for frequent customers – and is not offered on Friday and Saturday evenings. That said there are other menus with more choice which based on our experience would still be good value.

Between two of us we had both the starters and main courses and were very happy with them all. The portions sizes were just right for me, but my wife could not manage a desert – I had the excellent soufflé. From the amuse bouche to the first rate coffee, everything was very well presented as well as having great taste.

The wine we had was good value by normal restaurant standards. The service was efficient and informal to just the right extent.

If I am to be really picky, whilst the bacon served with my main course was tasty, I think it was too strong a taste to go with sole, and there was a tendency to overdo the salad / green garnish / accompaniment.

This was the first time we have ever eaten at this restaurant but it will certainly not be the last. We thought it well worth the 40 minute journey to get there.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Thought I'd come out of the London 'comfort zone' and try somewhere more rural ..

A bad mistake as level of the professionalism took a big drop..

Let me start by saying the best part of the meal was the amuse bouche - cod with a potato velouté ..

Mixing white chocolate risotto with already sweet scallops meant the my starter was overly sweet with not enough of the pressed cucumber to cut through.. Pleasant enough but not balanced.

The main course was monkfish, but the portion was small, over cooked and over seasonedmand completely overpowered by overly sweet beet root. Again, the dish lacked balance.

Presentation was beautiful, but a prize example of style over substance.

Also when leaving to get your coats, you pass a few sofas that he been commandeered by some yummy mummy's as a make do crèche .. a no no for me.

That said, the service was excellent and free water was offered..

Compared to other one star establishments I've been to ie Murano , Pollen St Social , Gauthier, where food truly lives up to it's presentation, in my opinion Tristan is very lucky to have a Michelin star ..

Tristan needs to up its game to keep it ..

5  Thank theratman
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Sometimes fate deals a lucky hand and without design or foresight you end up in a restaurant where the food and service deserve great recognition! Fois gras and belly pork starters were superb but the amuse bouche with roasted cod an peas and potato veloute was stunning and only a small indication of what was to come. main courses absolutely deliscious and my passion fruit soufflé divine. Generous cheese board where the truffle brie led the board. Highly recommended, the chef, Tristan deserves great success - his front of house team serve him well - I don't normally write reviews but felt duty bound to do so - I almost don't want to share this place in case cant get a table but sometimes you have to take that risk for the greater good!