“Always excellent”

Ranked #2 of 165 Restaurants in Horsham
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Housed in a 16th Century building in the historic town of Horsham, Restaurant Tristan opened in 2008 and has been a firm favourite with local foodies ever since. Inside, original wooden beams contrast with contemporary style to create an intimate setting for lunch or dinner. Chef and Proprietor Tristan Mason worked in top restaurants like The Greenhouse and Mirabelle before becoming Head Chef at The Hare where he achieved his first Michelin Star. The menu at Restaurant Tristan is predominantly British with some creative French influences, with dishes like terrine of pheasant and turbot with truffle risotto taking centre stage. Ingredients are locally sourced wherever possible and the extensive wine list is designed to complete this truly unforgettable dining experience.
Horsham
“Always excellent”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Just wonderful mouth watering food, excellent service and very good value. Just my favourite restaurant.

Mina A Salam, Dubai
“FAB service, FAB food, FAB atmosphere, FAB FAB FAB!!”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Have visited Tristans three times now and am a big fan of this place. The food is EXCELLENT, the service is so attentive and friendly and the building is truly lovely. The bar downstairs is great for pre & post dinner drinks and has a great atmosphere.

Cannot recommend this place highly enough!

Visited December 2011
1 Thank honeymooners2004
Lancing, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“How this restaurant hasn't got a Michellin Star is beyond me. Superb time!”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

This restaurant is such a find - it's one of those places that you want to tell everyone about because it's that good - but then you don't want to tell them because then it'd be inundated, and you really just want it to be your secret!

The decor is great - it has an eclectic mix of old-world charm and bohemian styling which seems like it would be suited as much to Brighton as a West-Sussex market town.

A Saturday-evening family gathering and My 40th birthday; me and my family group received complimentary champagne, but none of the kids-birthday razzamatazz that a lot of chain restaurants indulge in, which I was hugely grateful for. Our group was one short, so (without being asked) they rapidly rearranged the table allocation to make it more comfortable for us. Even though the restaurant was full, it was still a relaxed atmosphere.

The menu was split into two sections: The tasting menu had 5 preset courses with a different wine with each (thought the 'main' course had a choice of two I think), or the usual starter-main-dessert combination. In either case, there was nothing usual about the food. The waiter overheard our conversation that my sister is allergic to fish, and he took the time to explain where fish was used in the menu - some were obvious but others were subtle and we had missed them first time around.

We were each presented with a pre-starter veloute starter, then I had the rabbit and squid to start, my girlfriend the duck / frois gras combination. Mains were lamb presented 3 ways, Guinea Fowl with some vegetable I'd never heard of before, and turbot to name but a few (sorry, can't remember the rest). But the best bit were the desserts: Ginger and carrot, parsley ice-cream, banana / plantain tarte tartin, and each with a specific dessert wine - we were trying each others' and nothing nothing disappointed at all. The cheeseboard arrived - a dozen or so from around the world, and our waiter knew them all; their names, origins, descriptions, and even suggested the best biscuits to try them with. Coffee came with some petit fours presented in an antique chocolate box lined with coffee beans (even the box was a subject of conversation).

The entire evening was an overwhelming succession of colours, tastes and textures - exactly as a restaurant should be.

It's easy to get carried away with how wonderful the food was; how different, how well presented, how the combinations of foods really brought the evening to life. But the best part of the entire evening was the service. We were greeted at the door with warm smiles, our coats taken and hung (in a warmed cloakroom); the waiting staff were immaculate, attentive, informed and informative; the Maitre D' (Candy, I think) was friendly and respectful; and nothing was too much trouble. Although the food was great and was the reason we went there in the first place, the staff are, without doubt, the reason why we'll go back. They are superb!

Ok, the down side. Its a fairly small restaurant in a period building, so seating is at a premium (book early), and there are no lifts for anyone in a wheelchair (the restaurant is upstairs), although food can be served downstairs but you'd miss out on the atmosphere. The toilets number two in total, so you might find a bit of a queue at the end of the night.

The pricing is reasonable - £40 for 3 courses, £55 for the tasting menu. Wine ranges from £18 a bottle upwards (I think, though as the wine list was quite expansive I may have missed a few). For the three of us, four courses (inc. cheeseboard), bottle of wine, dessert wine each, coffee and petit fours - £190, which I though was good value.

In case you're wondering, we're nothing to do with the restaurant. The girlfriend and I do go there for lunch every few weeks, and it was the quality of the lunch menu (shredded beef parcel in a parsnip veloute, lemon rice pudding) that persuaded us to try the evening menu.

My only other complaint is that I cant afford to go there more often.

1 Thank Szasz1972
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food and lovely service - fine dining in a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Throughly recommend a meal at Tristan's - the food was highly skilled and delicious and the staff were welcoming and helpful. I was additionally impressed with the quality of the vegetarian option - often something that shows little love for those of us who don't eat meat but in this case excellent. Will be going back soon

1 Thank Curiouscatherine
arundel
“Best food in sussex”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful evening meal at tristans, I can't recommend it highly enough. Food was second to none, rabbit and lobster was especially amazing!!! Loved being able to have Nyetimber by the glass. Service was wonderful too. Thank you

• Visited February 2012