Selsey Arms
Travelodge
$64
$68
TripAdvisor
South Lodge Hotel(Lower Beeding)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfriendly atmospherethe pubget togetherselbyroastpubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My fiancé and I stayed here on our last night in the UK, as it was conveniently located just 20 minutes from Gatwick Airport. Our room was located in The Forge. Our room was large, clean and tidy, with a very comfortable bed. We had the pleasure of meeting the Landlord, Graham and his family, and we understand they have taken over the pub since christmas. Food was reasonably priced and of a good quality, barman had a very good knowledge of the beers and ales on tap and the pub atmosphere was lovely. Overall our stay at The Selsey Arms was a wonderful, quintessentially english end to our holiday. Will definitely be staying again on our next visit to the UK.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank djenkins1307
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Sometimes you get a signal that there is trouble on the horizon, something is brewing. I sensed that my beloved wife was brewing up a good row whilst on holiday in West sussex so I took the dog and escaped to the local pub.

The Selsey is a lovely little country pub, the garden is clean and well tended, the interior is charming (unlike my wife), they put out a bowl of water for the dog as soon as we walked in and were very welcoming. The attractive barmaid quickly took my mind off the storm that was brewing at the shabby holiday let we had procured, ensuring I could while away a few hours fantasising about escaping with this beautiful young cherub to a world where wives and stupid budget holidays are a million miles from my thoughts and days are filled with well kept real ale, well walked dogs and flirty barmaids.

The beer was good, I had a pint of Doom Bar which was just what the doctor ordered, the burger I had was homemade, succulent and worth the money. Not the cheapest in the world but a bloody good burger. You get what you pay for. The locals seemed crusty but friendly and there was a nice welcoming atmosphere.

In short, the Selsey was an excellent little retreat from my evil wife and the crappy holiday home we had rented.

8.5/10. Would hide again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Barnaby W
Reviewed June 25, 2012

2 of us stayed here for 1 night with dog. Cost altogether £120 including dinner, drinks and a very good breakfast. We stayed in the Forge, which is a separate small old building. Everything was clean and tidy with hot shower and very comfortable clean bed. Graham the landlord was very helpful as were the rest of the staff. The locals that were in were friendly and chatty as well. Except for a little bit of noise around 10.30 when everyone was going home, we had a good undisturbed nights sleep. The food was basic but good and not overpriced.

I have stayed in many places all over the world, good, indifferent and one was downright horrible, but this one comes up near the top.

Woudl I go again ? Definitely.

Room Tip: The Old Forge building where we stayed was clean and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Pollydg
Reviewed February 7, 2012

This 78 year old, who has lived in the village for over 40 years and is the main carer of his wife, severely injured in a head-on collision with a drink-driver, needed overflow
accommodation for a family gathering at Christmas
My younger son, wanting to be helpful, made an initial enquiry by email from New Zealand to our local pub which advertises accommodation online. Clearly this email put a glint in the new landlady's eye, for when I approached her with a view to booking for two people for two nights she maintained that she was only accepting bookings for THREE nights, at £100 per night per room and no breakfast available.
Upon close inspection late evening Christmas Eve, one room was unusable; very
cold, damp and musty and equipped with a defective room heater. The other room was only slightly better, but also musty.
Why were these rooms offered when there were two more, both vacant, in the main pub building? It was assumed that they must have been even less desirable.

Room Tip: Insist on seeing the two rooms within the main building if vacant.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family