“Excellent traditional country pub food”
Review of The Greets Inn

The Greets Inn
Ranked #16 of 171 Restaurants in Horsham
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Greets Inn at Warnham is an historic village pub, parts of which date back to the 14th Century. Inside this delightful village inn is an inviting bar serving Cask Marque accredited ales and a superb selection of wines. The cosy restaurant makes dining under the heavy beamed ceiling of the inn an absolute treat, with menus serving fabulous dishes made using locally sourced Sussex produce – it truly is some of the best rustic country dining to be found in and around the Horsham area. A relaxed ambience makes spending time with family and friends a real joy, especially when the open fires are roaring and the ever-hospitable proprietors, Duncan & Natalie Entwistle, start roasting chestnuts and marshmallows. The Greets Inn is a place for shaping memories to last a lifetime, as well as enjoying fabulous food in the Horsham area. In the warmer months, you can relax in the landscaped garden, which quickly becomes an extension to the restaurant, with eating ‘al fresco’ alongside the colourfully planted borders a highlight of summer. The Greets Inn is at the heart of Warnham village life, attracting food-lovers from the wider Horsham area and beyond who regularly visit to enjoy a true taste of Sussex.
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We visited The Greets Inn for lunch mid week as a group of 4. We decided to try the restaurant after finding it on the tastecard website. What a fantastic decision. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, the ambience was just what you would expect from a country period pub. There were 2 open fire places one of which we were lucky enough to be seated next to. It was rather cold inside but we did arrive as the restaurant opened and with real fires it does take a little while for rooms to warm up. It wasn't however unpleasant and by the time our food came it was warming up nicely. It was good to see traditional pub food on the menu. So many places are trying to be too fancy. The Greets Inn has got it just right. Well cooked, good portioned honest food that is fairly priced. We all enjoyed our meals with not one complaint. I did not find it basic as some reviews say but traditional. There was plenty of choice on the menu in fact we struggled to make a choice as it all sounded so nice. We look forward to visiting again.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

After having a heavy night out, all I wanted when I woke was a roast dinner! A little later than I hoped for (because I was starving) we managed to secure a table. We arrived and were promptly shown to our table in a very busy restaurant. We didn't take up on the starters but dove straight in to the main course. My other half had pork, I had beef. Beautiful mix of veg, cooked perfectly. Gravy very flavoursome and the meat my knife could cut! No room for dessert -the portions are that generous. We have been here before and it just gets better. Yet to have a bad experience-which I doubt will never happen. If you love your roasts then go here. If you have children, dont fear-families are very much welcome! Book in advance to save disappointment!!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Food here is OK - no where near as good as the rating suggests - however there was a shameless self promotion with giving out a tripadvisor card at the end with a request to review. One suspects the rating reflects this rather than the true quality. Not only is this unpleasant but is a dangerous strategy unless you are sure you are going to hit the mark every-time with the food and service

Duncan E, Owner at The Greets Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Hi, thanks for posting your review. I am sorry that you found our food only ok.
We use trip advisor as one of a number of ways in getting feedback from our customers. We are very proud of what we offer at The Greets but we know that we can always improve. It is great to hear what we do well in our business so we continue to do those things well but also when we receive constructive negative feedback we can consider whether we may need to make changes. Trip advisor is a fantastic modern way in getting feedback and as you have proven people have a choice in what they say about what we do.
In this current economic climate small independent businesses like ours have to work extremely hard to compete against the large number of chain restaurants available locally, and the use of modern social media to advertise and market what we offer is critical to our success.
We know we are not perfect all the time but asking people to give us great constructive feedback we can consider, so our business continues to improve and thrive is hopefully a sure way to ensure we continue trading.
I will not apologise for our modern thinking business methods but only hope that you give us another try for what most people describe our offer of simple but good quality traditional pub food with friendly professional service.

Kind Regards

Duncan Entwistle
Owner

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have seen the numerous reviews of the Greets on Tripadvisor for a while so we decided to visit as we eat in a lot of good pubs in the Horsham area and wanted to see if the Greets could be a new place for us to eat.

Its a nice old pub that serves standard pub food. (sausage and mash, fish and chips, scampi and chips, etc) Thats about it. My wife had sunday roast beef and i have to say that was VERY tasty meat. roast potatoes and veg were fine. I had the venison hotpot but lacked venison, effectively I had a bowl of vegetables in gravy. I had precisely two mouthfuls of meat in the hotpot.... Whoever served the hotpot clearly hadn't bothered to make sure there was a fair portion of meat in my serving... a real shame.

Dessert was a banoffee pie that was very nice, the highlight of the meal in fact.

In terms of atmosphere the pub has two fires but various seating areas so there is no guarantee you will be near a fire, you could be in a side room as we were.

I was quite happy to be in a side room actually as there were so many young children in the bar at Sunday lunchtime making a huge amount of noise that I'm glad we were not in the main dining area. I assume its quieter and more adult oriented in the evenings.

If you have young kids and you want somewhere child friendly with a pub menu its great. If you are looking for more than a basic pub menu then there are places such as The Lamb at Lambs Green, The Crabtree at Lower Beeding, or the Chequers at Rowhook that way ahead in terms of menu and ambiance. If the Greets can get its menu up to the standard of these places it will be on our list but for now i cant see us going back as its a bit of a basic menu.

Service was excellent and they have a brigade of waitresses who are smart, polite, and efficient.

Duncan E, Owner at The Greets Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Hi, thanks for posting your feedback.
I am pleased that in general you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us at the Greets. I am sorry that your venison portion was too small on this occasion.
Your comments regarding our menu content reflect correctly our offer on Sunday's, we believe a big part of our fantastic success on Sundays is our simple and traditional menu providing great value for money.
However I am not sure if you have seen our normal a la carte menu, whilst we do have a selection of pub classics on this menu( we are a pub!) we do offer a number of other delicious home made imaginative dishes that I am positive would change your opinion. Take a look on our web site, our new Spring menu is available to be viewed.
Please come and give us a try one evening, I am sure the menu and ambiance will rival some of the other pubs you mention.

KInd Regards

Duncan Entwistle
Owner

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Found this little pub on Tripadvisor, and as promised the food was amazing! Gorgeous sunday roasts with delicious puddings. Generous servings and reasonably priced, would definitely go again :)

Pub itself is a little old-y world-y but cosy, especially with the open fires. Busy but I think that's a good sign!