“A restaurant that goes out of it's way to make you feel welcome, and excellent food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Carmela

Carmela
Ranked #5 of 162 Restaurants in Horsham
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Carmela Italian Restaurant is run by the Raciti family and offers an authentic Italian dining experience for all the family. Based in Denne Road Horsham, West Sussex, the 16th century listed building has been completely renovated from top to toe in a contemporary yet charming style which is both warm and inviting.
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We have eaten here several times now. As a couple, as a group of four friends, and as a family group and it's always the same. They DO go the extra mile to make you feel welcome and for us it is now the best italian restaurant in Horsham by a country mile. The food is Sicilian and there a few of the dishes that are a real suprise as they escape the run of the mill Italian available in other establishments. Quite a few of the old Italian favourites are here as well but done with the extra care and attention that you find rarely these days. Wine is good and reasonable as well.

I would say excellent value!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Gerard K

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Buonissimo!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

My favourite REAL Sicilian Restaurant
in the South East .
I truly recommend this place to everyone who loves proper food, the wine list is excellent , value for money !!
Try before you die

Horsham, United Kingdom
“Watch out for the wine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

I have dined at Carmela's about 12 times over the last 3 years and I have found the food to be consistently good. I dined there with a friend today and enjoyed the meal again. When I find dishes that I enjoy I tend to return to them every time I visit. Such is the case with the venison filet served with tagliatelle and mushroom sauce. It is always consistently good and was thoroughly enjoyed by both of us. My starter of gnocchi was also excellent and the tiramisu was one of the best I have had. So a very enjoyable meal! but then there was the wine.

I like good wine and I am prepared to pay for a good bottle. Today I encountered a problem that I don't often encounter....wine that has lost its body because of the way it is stored. Carmela's has some excellent wines with prices up to £60 a bottle. However they are stored UPRIGHT around the restaurant in a warm atmosphere. The inevitable consequence is that the corks dry out because they are not in contact with the wine and as a consequence they shrink. This in turn lets in air and the wine oxidises turning the alcohol into acetic acid. Sadly the wine loses its character is sharper and "dead". It took three bottles today to find a wine fit to drink. I have recommended replacing the full bottles on show with empty bottles and storing the full ones in the conventional way. The final bottle we had was excellent but what a waste with the loss of two bottles down the drain. My advice is to check how the wine has been stored if you are going for the top of the range.

• Visited November 2012
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Nice but not top.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife really enjoyed the food here (calamari for starter: it was excellent. We both had lamb shanks for main: decent but overpriced and not as good as had hoped). Service was great but seating is a little personal in this restaurant and Horsham snobs are the last people you want to be personal with.

Overall I would recommend anyone try it, the experience is good overall and the food, although expensive, tastes pretty good.

Horsham, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Have eaten here several times for various occasions. Sometimes as a large group with the girls or family and at other times just my husband and I. He is usually particularly hard to please but not so when dining here. He will not eat anywhere else in town now.. On all visits, the service is professional, attentive and fun and the food outstanding in taste and value. Overall, a pleasure every time. Looking forward to my next meal very soon.

• Visited September 2012