“Ignore the bad reviews!”
Review of Wabi

Wabi
Reserve with OpenTable
Wabi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 171 Restaurants in Horsham
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The first authentic Japanese restaurant in Horsham, Wabi offers a modern Japanese fine dining experience with a cocktail bar and a simple yet elegant decor. Easily accessible within 10 minutes' walk of Horsham rail station and Horsham Park, Wabi showcases contemporary Japanese cuisine from it's celebrated chefs. Each dish combines traditional Japanese culinary techniques with quality local ingredients, making for a modern Japanese dining experience. With a stylish design throughout, Wabi is split into three main areas for dining. Enjoy Wabi Bites and cocktails in the lively atmosphere of the bar on the ground floor, or sample delicious Japanese specialities in the main restaurant on the first floor. Signature dishes include the Smokey Dragon Roll, Crispy Squid Kara Age, Alaskan Black Cod in Miso, Tea Smoked Lamb Chops & finish off by digging deep into a Kuro Mori dessert. Private booths and a traditional tatami mat seating area are also available for corporate meetings, special occasions and large parties.
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I booked this restaurant as I love Sushi and it looked a bit different from others I have been to. After reading mixed reviews I was a bit apprehensive about what our experience would be like. We went mid-week and it was fairly busy.

Well, from the second we walked in the door to the moment we left it was one of the best restaurant experiences I have ever had. We were greeted by a very friendly host who said our table was ready when we were or we could have a cocktail at the bar first. The two guys behind the bar were excellent cocktail makers so we stayed there for a little while before heading upstairs to our table.

We had a very pleasant surprise as we were seated in a private booth. We had the Wabi tasting menu for £33 per person. The food was absolutely spot on and every dish tasted great. It is fairly pricey but I felt it was worth the money.

Reading the other reviews, maybe experiences differ depending on the staff who are working but our experience was fantastic. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. If you want the experience to be a little more different ask for a private booth when you book.

1  Thank Mel W

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I went for the 'ladies night' taster menu deal which was great value. I had about ten little courses and a beer for around £30. The quality of the food was good and the service was prompt at all times.

I was dining alone as I was travelling with work and I was eating early so the place was pretty quiet. This was good for me as I was doing some revision while I was eating.

I imagine it would be a good place to go with a big group and enjoy some drinks. There were some good looking cocktails on the menu and they also did Asahi dark beer which I am a big fan of.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a toughy. It is something quite different but I think it works. Downstairs they have a cocktail bar which we overlooked during our meal. Frenetic bar men hurling glasses and bottles( often missing!) made great theatre. Bizarrely it was 'womens night' but there were just as many men. It was packed and very hot. I had a set taster menu it had two prawn dishes following each other which was strange. Jean had some smashing lamb chops. The cooking was actually quite good and we both enjoyed the atmosphere.

1  Thank Colchestered
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Myself and my husband are complete foodies and we love this place my only gripe is that the have not opened one in Brighton yet. The food is amazing and the service upstairs in the restaurant is fast efficient and friendly. We do not bother looking at the menu as we get the manager to pick a selection which we always love. Unfortunately Horsham people are not known for spending much on dining out so bizarrely a lot of the people dining in here are from further afield. It is their loss as this is the only decent restaurant Horsham has had and yes I have been to Tristans. This is soo much better as there is a really good atmosphere in here, I found Tristans very stuffy and very quiet albeit the food was good.

1  Thank ClaraCHove
Reviewed August 2, 2013

On the 1st of August I naively suggested to my colleagues that we should lunch at Wabi as we had not been for a couple of weeks. Plus we had a sushi virgin to introduce to the wonderful experience that we have previously had. Sadly the events that followed from this lunch meal have left me feeling very humiliated and confused. I am ashamed that I brought my colleagues here, we had the biggest rip off meal I've personally had in a very long time.

We arrived at 12.45 only to be greeted by yet another menu change. It had only been two weeks since I'd been to Wabi and the menu had change yet again. I was baffled and confused by this. Looking at the menu there were various new options, sadly the sushi selection on their lunch menu was sparse. With only the 'bento box' and the 'sushi and sashimi set' , we were left with very little to choose from.

We ordered various items from this menu with the intention of sharing amongst ourselves. The only good thing which we had was the dragon roll. That is the only item where quality has not been compromised. The rest was a bitter disappointment.

Firstly the miso soup. Where was the silken tofu in my soup? It seemed that the chef had forgotten to add my tofu. Two weeks back I had received miso soup made with medium tofu. This is not the recipe. It supposed to be silken tofu. As for the taste, the chef has a lot of development work here.

I ordered the new offereing of the 'Mix grill' with the portion of rice. The only good thing here was the chicken skewer. The rest, once again disappointing. The lamb was over cooked!The beef was over cooked! I nearly broke my teeth trying to chew this meat. That's not acceptable Wabi. I am also surprised the waiter did not request how I wanted my meat cooked. The rice is a nice concept however sadly too much salt.

The 'Sushi and sashimi set' brought me to tears. The portion size was so small I really felt like they were ripping us off. The sashimi was really pitiful , that they may as well has left it off. I have never my life seen such small slices of sashimi. It was very insulting to our intelligence as customers. Why would you do this to your customers? We are not mugs who don't know what sushi is supposed to look like.

Moving onto the 'bento box'. Once again there were two new changes here. Firstly the emerald ceviche which I found even more revolting the prawn ceviche which I had been offered a couple of weeks before. The chicken skewer was a welcome improvement compared with the previous imposter of the 'chicken ball skewer' which actually had a very distinct pork flavour that it most certainly should have been marketed as a 'pork ball skewer'. What happened to the lentil, bulgar and veg salad with chillies and nuts? That was actually a very tasty part of the bento box. As for the grilled fish, yet again I was faced with the distinct flavour to too much salt.

I used to tell all my friends to go to Wabi but I won't bother anymore. I certainly don't wish to be spokeperson for such an establishment.

Sayonara Wabi. I will dine in London for my sushi. Given the 1 hour train journey it's certainly worth it for me.

5  Thank Seri0usCust0mer