“Interesting, good food”

Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Interesting menu. Good food. Great staff. Wobbly table needs replacement but an enjoyable meal was had.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is the baronial country house kind of place. My wife stayed at the hotel recently with her mother and thought it very special. To my critical eye, the professionalism of the staff was patchy and the floor of the baronial lounge as you enter had been ruined with modern tacky terrazzo tiles. It was also cold with the main doors open all the time.
Food-wise I was immediately attracted by the menu. However I may have chosen badly. The roquefort panacotta starter sounded great but was a little boring. The pearl barley risotto was disappointing (especially for a non veggie). The apple panacotta desert was too sweet with the crystallised fruit. Wine was good. Service was very pleasant. Wallpaper in the dining room was a bit modern for the rest of the decor. All a bit nit-picky but at those prices I feel entitled. I've had better. Thank God I wasn't paying.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We went here for an anniversary meal, we had not told them this in advance, but when we arrived they asked if our visit was for a special reason, they made us feel very special and presented a beautiful dessert with Happy Anniversary written in chocolate on the plate. Nice touch.

1  Thank Sharon G
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Excellent and delicious food with friendly efficient service in the restaurant. Two minor issues - had to ask for the nibbles with our pre lunch drinks, these were on display less than 2' from where we were sitting. Also for 5* hotel we found the fact that a member of staff had quite a serious BO problem very odd and a little unpleasant

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had an amazing afternoon tea in the South Lodge Hotel yesterday.

Impeccable service, nothing was too much trouble! Lovely sandwiches,cakes and tea - eat as much as you can.

Beautiful setting, shame we did not get to experience the terrace due to torrential rain!!

Thanks for making my birthday treat very special!