“excellent service and food”

Grim's Dyke Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 353 Restaurants in Harrow
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“excellent service and food”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great visit thoroughly enjoyed our food and the service was excellent . No worries here about anything staff keen and eager to help.

• Visited September 2013

London
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I have been regular patrons of this establishment and have celebrated a number of birthdays, anniversaries and Christmases here, and would always recommend it highly.

However, I visited Grimsdyke in July 2013 with a few friends for bar food and found the service severely lacking- starters served at the same time as the mains, waiting ages for the food, and then when it arrived condiments were added with the burgers which were not described on the menu and had to be scrapped out

My husband and I decided to visit tonight putting the past dining experience down to bad luck. However, on arrival at the bar we had to shuffle through the stack of menus to get to the dinner menu. We selected our food and went outside as it was a lovely balmy night. Unfortunately all the tables had been used and were dirty. The waiter had to clear our table down whilst we sat there- yet there was no body in the bar being served when we arrived which made us wonder why they couldn't have cleaned the tables sooner- we didn't have to wait too long before our starter arrived of miniature Indian bites. Some of them were tepid whilst others were warm and it looked to me that they had been taken out of an Iceland box and put in a microwave to heat up.

We then had to wait an extraordinary long time for the mains- a cheese and pickle sandwich, burger and two bowls of chips. Not too much of a challenge to prepare you would think. My chips didn't arrive at the same time as the rest of the food and I had to wait a further 10 minutes. When they did arrive I had the skinny French fries which tasted revolting whilst my husband was served the chunky variety. I was just mentioning to my husband how dry the bread was on the sandwiches when I spotted blue mould on the crust and I had to immediately stop eating. This put my husband off and he couldn't continue with his meal. We asked to speak to the duty manager who was very apologetic and said she would speak to the chef and advised us that the food was on the house and offered us drinks so I had a further diet coke and my husband had half a lager. We couldn't finish the drinks as the whole episode had ruined our evening and we left soon afterwards. It's such a shame as the gardens are breath-taking as is the building. Unfortunately we were also sitting right in front of the kitchen window were we could hear plenty of laughing and frivolity- certainly didn't sound like a well run establishment to us.
I really want to show this place off to friends coming from overseas but with service like this I will not bother. I trust management will take note of this feedback- as with the reviews you are receiving lately is it any wonder anyone will want to stay or even host a wedding at this rate. Please sort your food and service out as a matter if urgency.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank alan-wicker1
London, United Kingdom
“Well short of our expectations”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I have visited Gilbert’s Restaurant at the Grim’s Dyke Hotel on a number of occasions over several years. The experience has always been excellent, and I have praised the place in a previous TripAdvisor review (October 2012). Sadly, on this occasion both food and service fell well short or our expectations.

After our party of four had waited a few minutes to be greeted, we were told that there was no booking in our name, even though we had made a definite reservation two weeks earlier. We had even phoned in the morning to say that we might arrive a little late and had been told there was no problem. But (unluckily, as it turned out), there was a table available for us.

The fixed-price menu seemed less appealing than in the past, with fewer, and less interesting, choices than we remembered. However, even the vegetarians in the party found something to order.

Before our starters arrived we were offered a bread roll, but we were not given any butter and we had to ask for it. And we were not offered a second roll, as had been the case on previous occasions.

Eventually the head waiter arrived with three cold starters and said that the fourth order, a soup, was “on its way”. But it was nearly 10 minutes before it arrived, and he offered no apology for the delay. Why on earth were the cold starters not held up until the soup was ready?

The quality of our food, which has always been excellent in the past, left much to be desired. The three cold starters were good, but the sweet potato soup was cloyingly sweet and creamy. For the main course, one of the party had chosen chicken and the rest had opted for the aubergine and leek chilli. The chicken was acceptable, but the chilli was so pungent that we couldn’t taste the main ingredients. My wife found it so distasteful that she left most of hers. When the head waiter came to clear our table, she told him why she had hardly touched her plate but she received no response -- no apology, no offer of an alternative dish, not even an expression of sympathy. He simply snatched up the plates and scarpered.

And we were clearly not the only customers to be disappointed by the food. A diner at an adjacent table sent back his main course of burger and chips and demanded a different dish.

The attitude of the head waiter was the most irritating aspect of our dining experience. When taking our orders and serving our food he resembled the excessively grovelling waiters seen in comedy movies. He wore a permanent insincere smile (smirk might be a better description) and used unctuous expressions such as “for ze lady” and “for ze gentleman”. However, when problems with the food and/or service came to light his obsequiousness failed him and he spinelessly did a runner.

Because of our previous pleasant experiences at Gilbert’s, we assumed that the restaurant must have been having a rare off-day. But later we saw the adverse comments posted by other TripAdvisor reviewers in recent months and realised that something has gone badly wrong. So, until we read here that Gilbert’s has returned to its former high standard, we will not be booking a table again.

• Visited August 2013
harrow
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful food. 1 decent waitress. Genrally bad service.”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have been coming here for a few years now and the standards have slipped drastically. I came last month with a group of friends and was greeted by a lovely young waitress, our service was then taken over by a seemingly incapable European man, who turned out to be a head waiter! We waited for our starters than over half an hour for our main course when it turned up it was awful, cold, wrong and there was non of the sides we had ordered, they came out ten minutes later. When we told the waiter he said he would get it fixed right away but we waited a very long time for this too, there were no apology's. It was very disappointing, especially when those around us seemed to be getting a much better service form another waitress.

Thought I would give it a chance again, he was obviously new and inexperienced. So I brought my family along for dinner. The food was again absolutely awful but our service was brilliant, luckily we had Natasha, (the waitress we mentioned earlier), the only saving grace to our meal was the customer care we had, order was taken promptly, food was served promptly, she even checked to make sure everything was ok, when told it was not it was sorted. Unfortunately a couple by us was not so happy due to the incorrect menu and an error with the fish! There were again served by the head waiter. By the looks of it our waitress took control and got the manager.

Won't be returning again, the standards have slipped and the constant change in managers is a joke, not helping the staff. Worse when customers are noticing a more capable and personable waitress as opposed to the head waiter. Only asset to the hotel is the bar (assuming manager?) and Natasha. Thank you both for making our awful experiences much better.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank 543AnnieG8
Frinton-On-Sea, United Kingdom
“Going down a slippery slope.”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Have been to this venue before, enjoyed that experience. A beautiful setting and comfortable Ding Room.
Was taken out for a special dinner by family. The 'table ready' was a good half an hour later than told. Sat down at 9.00 pm. Service very slow, long waits between courses (we only had two as we assumed we would run into the wee hours by each service wait.)
Food not up to scratch,it was a lot better last visit.

There was a Wedding Party at the time of our visit. Fine, but how about giving the Wedding Party an exclusive Dining Area, they pay enough for their Special Day.
Likewise, our private dining is expensive, we do not require to be second best on the list of service.
A super venue like yours can surely afford to staff sufficiently to achieve the above.

Otherwise - would be good to be told on booking, that there was " A wedding Party on and the service would be slower" This would provide the customer with opportunity to decide where to eat. I for one would not call this a failure on the venues part. They may be losing a cover or two for the evening, but would certainly get me back another time for their customer care.

• Visited June 2013