Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hindes Hotel(Harrow)
Hilton Watford(Watford)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe main housegarden lodgemusic roombeautiful groundsgilbert's restaurantlibrary barcream teabeautiful hotelanne mariefour poster bedcountry housedrawing roomwedding partyold housewedding breakfaststeeped in historyfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I booked a £99 dinner, bed & breakfast deal, and had a room in the 'old' part of the hotel.

I was advised that as there was a 'Murder Mystery' night that I'd have to access my room via the fire escape that evening, but that was fine as I'd requested this room specifically.

The hotel grounds and building are charming. Check in could've been a tad more welcoming, and the lad that showed us to the room (and offered to carry the bags) forgot to mention that one of the light switches was the 'master' power switch so we were literally in the dark until we found him again lol!
The room was a tad dated, but spotlessly clean with a HUGE bed that we found exceptionally comfortable.

Dinner was great, but the service could've been a bit faster initially - Staff were focussed on catering the 90 guests for the event in the main hall upstairs.
However, once we'd got the maitre D's attention it was excellent. Food was lovely, and the ambience was charming too!

We paid an extra £2.95 each to have breakfast delivered to the room - It was cooked wonderfully and delivered bang on the time requested!

We had a few drinks / snacks in the bar. It was a very relaxing experience and the bar staff were really friendly and generally great at what they did. When it was quiet they would bring drinks to the table and just went that extra mile - I was very impressed.

You'd never think you were so close to Watford and feel as if you're in the middle of nowhere - Great for a quiet getaway!

Overall a total bargain for the price as you feel like it's actually a much more expensive experience!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just spent a great week end celebrating hubby's birthday with all our family members. Good meal, comfortable rooms, helpful staff. Good week end parking at Harrow and Wealdstone (£1 on Sunday and £5 Saturday) and non stop trains into central London taking 10 minutes. We will return.

Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Grims Dyke Hotel while attending a wedding there.

It's a beautiful venue for a reception with incredibly lovely grounds which made for a picturesque setting for the photos and a lovely drinks reception in the garden and grounds.

The food was excellent. It's very difficult to prepare food for a large number of people and serve everyone so as to keep it all hot and appetising. I was very impressed with the quality and presentation of the food. The staff during the reception were efficient and helpful.

I had a room in the garden annexe and I would agree with previous comments that they are over priced. The rooms are a bit shabby, the bedding was a bit thin and they are charging more than the rooms are actually worth.. I understand the rooms in the main block are nicer but they are also more expensive. That said everything worked and the room was perfectly clean. Service was basically fine.

The breakfast was in contrast excellent. It was freshly cooked to order (which I always like). There was a range of cold buffet options and good coffee.

As I was attending a wedding and only really wanted somewhere to sleep afterwards the hotel was fine. I wouldn't have a problem staying there again if I were attending a function there, but I wouldn't choose to stay there because I like slightly more luxury for the price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The main building was previously home to Sir William Gilbert, of Gilbert & Sullivan fame, and some of the architectural features were outstanding if the decor was a little 'tired' in places.We were located in the Garden Lodge rooms and it was warm, comfortable and quiet, a perfect place to relax during a busy weekend. We had an excellent meal in the main restaurant on Friday evening, again the character in the decor and features were very nice, we had a table that was almost a part of a very ornate fireplace !!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Thank you to Claire Donovan and her team for making our day very special. As we are a more mature couple we did not want anything to extreme and Claire helped us get exactly the day we wanted. Excellent food wine in a beautiful setting couldnt ask for anything more.

Room Tip: did not stay overnight so cannot comment on rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple