“Excellent 2011 Xmas lunch”

Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Harrow
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Our family of seven had Xmas dinner here (this is our main restaurant for birthdays, celebrations etc) but I have also stayed here and I would probably stay elsewhere but drive here for the food as the accommodation and the staff that go with aren't up to par. However, the restaurant staff and food is like a different company.
The Xmas lunch was excellent, piping hot and extremely tasty. We were in the main restaurant this year rather than the overflow large room, which was a bit impersonal last year.
The manager and staff were excellent - very jolly and relaxed. Note to hotel owner - whatever you do please don't lose your restaurant manager or your chef!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Catherine_London

Reviewed December 26, 2011

I took my elderly mum for afternoon tea at the Grims Dyke for her birthday on Boxing day. The champagne, sandwiches and cakes were all delicious. The atmosphere was very festive, and the staff were pleasant without being overly attentive. I had initially book the Ritz, at £60 per head for Boxing Day, plus travel. Decided to go locally instead and paid £29 per person and a 10 minute journey. Result!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Turkeycrew09
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I discovered the Grims Dyke a number of years ago and it is now the only place that I will ever stay if visiting London. The place is outstanding. I disagree with most of the negative reviews on here - I have spent over 30 nights at the hotel in the past 5 years and will continue to give it my custom. The public rooms in the main house are sumptuous. The restaurant is as good as you will find in hotels rated higher than the Grims Dyke. The staff are superb.
The location ticks every box. Quiet country house in gorgeous gardens but less than 30 minutes from Oxford Street. Stanmore Tube is a short drive away and parking costs there are very reasonable. Harrow town centre, likewise is a short drive.
I have stayed in all types of room at the Grims Dyke and my most recent stay (3 - 5 Dec) was in a superior room in the Garden Lodge. All rooms represent exceptional value for money but period rooms in the main house can be noisy; unless you are actively involved in whichever wedding or other function is taking place I would strongly reccomend that you book a room in the Lodge.
Rooms in the Lodge are very comfortable and well appointed. WiFi is free and fast. I do however agree with a previous revewer - the basic rooms are just about on a par with the more expensive ones. The heating does not come on until early evening which is only a problem in cold weather. The housekeeping team are amongst the best I have ever encountered and all rooms are presented in immaculate order.
Try and avoid booking with 'late availability' websites. If you call the hotel direct, you will be given a tariff which includes breakfast (the websites tend to offer a room only price, which is invariably the same as the inclusive price offered directly). The breakfast served at the Grims Dyke is the best I have ever eaten in a hotel - and I spend a good deal of my life eating hotel breakfasts so know what I am talking about. It is perfect. Nothing I say on here can do it full justice. Go there and see for yourself.
To summarise, this hotel gives exceptional value for money. It is an opulent country house at 'chain hotel' rates. The staff are brilliant. The food is very good. Breakfast is without equal. If you happen to be a fan of Gilbert & Sullivan (& I am more of the Gilbert O'Sullivan pedigree) you will be in heaven. Go there. Soon.

Room Tip: Avoid the period rooms unless there are no parties or other functions taking place (or unless you ar...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johnkccm
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Arriving at the hotel the grounds and main building looked very nice. Strange small reception area were we checked in efficiently but not really welcoming way. Porter walked us to the room which was nice. Rooms very nice and clean with more amenities than you would expect for the price paid. Beds are comfy apart from the really flat pillows. Would suggest more tv channels only had channels 1 to 5 plus sky sports And movies. Breakfast was ok nothing really special and our order was incorrect when it came. Staff not really friendy in dining room. Overall ok stay for one night but nothing special about hotel to make me return.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Theresaj25
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Having been to the Grims Dyke for a business conference a couple of friends and myself decided to get together and go back there for a weekend break.
Comfortable hotel, beautiful grounds, wonderful food - yep, we're going back again in 2012

Room Tip: There are rooms in the historic main building and there is also an annexe, we had a room in the anne...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Lovely setting, beautiful house and nice gardens to walk around and sit in for tea. Reasonably
priced and a good amount of food provided.

Only tricky part is getting there - not near a tube, but loads of parking if you are driving.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank JoLondonUK
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We came from abroad and was recommended this place by relatives.

The hotel was decent enough but maybe the decor is a little worn and for a 4 star hotel.
Food was confusing at times, since for some reason, this is the only place we know that does
"soup of the day" and "soup of the night" without actually telling you. They just change soup whenever they want. Good magicians I tell you that.

The staff in the restaurant were very friendly. The kind looking waitress named Magda provided exceptional and warm service. We spent a lot of time in the bar due to the exquisite service they gave there. Everything we wanted, they gave with no hesitation. They are the quintessential four star bar. The bar people, real epicures of the fine arts.

Rooms were clean, had a comfortable stay. My fiance has sleep problems too but even he slept like a baby. We had an enjoyable stay on the whole and when we get back, we will recommend this to others for sure.

xx

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Tavia b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrow
Premier Inn London Harrow Hotel
Premier by Eurotraveller Hotel, Harrow
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Premier Inn London Edgware Hotel
Mercure London Watford Hotel
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross

Been to Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel? Share your experiences!