“Good food.”

Dining options: Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Northfleet
“Good food.”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The food was far better than the usual indian fare so can't be faulted. The waiters are somewhat snooty.They appear to think that the restaurant is Gravesend's answer to the Ritz.It doen't make for the most relaxed of experiences.

Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Consistently Excellent”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We've been to this restaurant quite a few times and the quality of the food is consistently high. The owner is usually there, and he and his staff always make us feel very welcome.

The restaurant has a very modern contemporary feel, and would not look out of place in a fashionable area of London. Prices also have somewhat of a 'London' feel to them, but with the overall quality of the experience and food, they still represent very good value.

In summary, recommended as a place to go when you want a fine night out with friends.

• Visited March 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never again!!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I had a takeaway from cafe taj last night a chicken korma and today in had dieriah being sick bad cramps must be food poison the good thing is I ate half and still have other half in fridge food standard agency here I come

1 Thank Louise14x
London
“Ok food - rude staff”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Went here just last night (2nd Nov) with my other half for a meal after the fireworks. The place was busy (as it generally looks on a weekend night) and we were seated politely.

We ordered a bottle of wine and some starter bits. That all went well and we then ordered our mains. The food arrived and was hot and looks good.

The prices were quite high compared to some other places so our expectations were high. Unfortunately we were left disappointed. The Nan bread was lovely but the rest of the food was average at best.

The worst part of the meal came at the end when we asked for the bill, when checking it the wine was listed at a higher price than on the menu. When i questioned this the waiter went away and another waiter came over to show me the menu. However the menu he showed me was not the same we had ordered from, and the one he had had a sticker with a new price against the wine we'd had.

It wasn't a big deal as it was only £1.50 but it was the point. I said it wasn't a problem but wasn't prepared the pay the higher price. The rude waiter (that hadn't dealt with us during the evening), then crossed out the amount on the bill and wrote the new lower price and then said in a raised voice "There you go Sir, happy now?".

You just don't talk to customers like that. Any decent place would have just dealt with the issue politely rather than first accusing me of not being correct and then trying to prove me wrong by showing me a different menu.

We certainly wouldn't recommend this place as there are much MUCH better restaurants in and around the area.

We obviously won't be going back.

Steer clear.

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank JBroadsword
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“I expected it to be better but overall it was "just okay"”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Some of the "reviews" listed below are less than subtle and appear to be either from friends and family of the owners of this establishment or from direct competitors?

I've lived in and around Gravesend almost all my life and have tried all of the Indian restaurants in and around town at some time or other. All of them are similar to each other in that they are mostly fairly average. I've yet to try a place that stands out as being particularly exceptional.

Cafe Taj projects an up market image (which to some exetent is reflected in its prices) and scores highly in terms of the warmth and friendliness of its staff and the quality of the decor and furnishings (until you use the toilet and then it's the usual behind the scenes grot).

I was impressed with the wide menu choice and the variety of dishes on offer (very difficult to choose). The food that we had was quite good but didn't quite live up to the image that the place is trying to project.

Overall this was an "okay" dining experience. Pleasant enough and nothing to complain about but the quality of the food and cooking didn't stand out as being anything special.

• Visited September 2012