“Quick service and good food.”
Review of Wing Lee

Wing Lee
Ranked #20 of 132 Restaurants in Gravesend
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have no complaints about the food at all, it's fresh, nicely prepared, and quick service. Now to make your evening pleasant, follow these guidelines, if you go on a Friday or Saturday and are not part of a large group, ask for a table near the front of the restaurant, the noise level if you are towards the back is unbearable, or choose to go on a mid week night. Cheekily they add a 10% service charge to your bill.

1  Thank Crisj

Reviewed November 7, 2013

GREAT FOOD what more can you ask 4
good staff hot food and plenty of it
don't over order as if there was 4 of you
you would get 4 of each starter its the best Chinese in town so far
and i have been to most of them

2  Thank dc52013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This restaurant is always busy. The food is lovely and always cooked to order. There's never any issue with ordering more of a particular dish.

The service is good, and the price is more than reasonable.

I would advise booking a table in advance.

2  Thank snowflake71
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We sat down for dinner at around 6 pm 4 adults and a 18 month old boy my son was enjoying his self and screamed out a couple of time in happiness a couple in the corner called over the waiter and complained the waiter then came over and asked us to leave saying we have to because of the complaint made about our little one another waiter came out and said no we were to stay at this point we were still having rude connents being made by the other couple because of this then ruined out meal at the end when we recived the bill we had been charged a 10% service charge even know the bad service we recived.

4  Thank ACH1993
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This restaurant would probably not be described as cosy, as it is bright, airy and spacious (it is housed in what was formerly a bank) with a modern contemporary style of decor (wood flooring, wipe down tables etc.). Nevertheless, it is clean and comfortable, and is particularly ideal for larger parties as they have a number of larger round tables. To give some perspective of size and popularity, we went at 8pm on a fairly damp and dismal Tuesday evening, and I counted 24 other diners there when we arrived, yet there was ample room. Most other Chinese restaurants in town would be packed (and delighted!) with this sort of mid-week business, yet none that I looked in were doing much trade, which must say something for this place.

They offer an A La Carte menu with a good selection of Chinese dishes, plus an ‘All You Can Eat’ menu for £12.95. Unlike most ‘all you can eat’ places, where the food is buffet style and under hot lights to keep it warm (and glutinous and lifeless), these dishes are freshly cooked to order from the menu. And the menu has a good selection of most of the usual dishes found in Chinese restaurants, so should satisfy all but those wanting a specialist dish – and at £12.95 per head you can hardly go wrong.

The ‘house rules’ for this menu is that (a) dishes will be charged at the full rate if an unreasonable amount is left; (b) leftovers cannot be taken away, and (c) the charge is per person (i.e. you can’t have five people but only pay for four). All very reasonable conditions to prevent abuse.

My advice would be not to be tempted by the ‘all you can eat’ offer to over-order on starters, as you may not be able to make the best advantage afterwards of the range of main courses available. Thus, taking my own advice, we duly restricted ourselves to two starters plus seaweed each, then crispy duck and pancakes each, before ordering four main dishes plus a large rice between the two of us. We followed this with an ice cream each. At £12.95 each, that represents excellent value. (I note that an earlier review quotes £14 per head. Well, maybe it has been recently reduced but it was £12.95 when we went, and I was told that this is the everyday price and does not rise for Friday and Saturday evenings as it does in some similar restaurants. Also, the service charge is 10% and not 12% as the same reviewer quoted).

Overall I was very impressed by the food and service. The dishes were not rushed and served course by course (i.e. starters first, then crispy duck/lamb if required before taking orders and serving the mains). All were all freshly cooked and very tasty, and I thought they compared very well, of not better than other similar dishes I have had in standard high street Chinese restaurants.

The portions are not huge but a sensible size, particularly as you can order more if required. Personally we found what we ordered was quite enough. We probably could have managed five main dishes between us, but we would have been uncomfortably stuffed. A 10% service charge is added to the bill so tipping is not required nor expected (tipping is not a Chinese custom anyway). Drinks will also add a bit, of course, but overall it is excellent value for money, particularly as I thought it probably the best Chinese food I’ve had for some time.

If you are tempted, then note that it is closed on a Monday.