“Wine Soaked King Prawns..” 4 of 5 bubbles

Wing Lee
Ranked #23 of 119 Restaurants in Gravesend
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Wine Soaked King Prawns..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Don't worry that wasn't on the menu, just an optional item for one of the people dining at our table. There were 6 of us, and it was a fantastic meal, enjoyed by all.

To begin with, I think on a weekend, this isn't really a restaurant you are going to be able to sit at and have a nice romantic meal. It's more of a place for a group of 4+.

The restaurant has always been nice and clean, it's well lit and well laid out. There are some smaller tables away from the bigger ones.

It's not to say that you can't have a quiet meal here, I’ve been in there with just my wife, but there has always been a big group of people, not always a rowdy bunch, but there has been before. I guess I don't notice that when there's more than two of you.

I think the staff have been excellent at every visit, always friendly, they know the menu are always make you feel welcome.

On to the food, on the times I've visited I've only ordered from the £14 all you can eat menu. I've got to say I've never been let down by it, and it's fantastic value. The following is on our visit in May.

We ordered all the hors d'oeuvres from the set menu, all the items were freshly prepared, the food was piping hot and lovely. Prawn toast and the spring rolls were excellent, not overly greasy they were perfect. There was also plenty of meat on the ribs, and they weren't overly messy. The mushrooms and squid(my fav bit of the starter), gorgeous, couldn't fault them.

This time, we thought we'd try the Aromatic Lamb, as well as a leg of duck, it was out of this world. It was so tender and tasty, when I go back, I’m not bothering with duck again. That's not to say that the duck was bad, far from it, it was great, not too fatty, skin lovely and crispy too. The lamb was just that good.

We had a good selection of mains, the sizzling king prawns were fantastic, the rice and the Chinese curries also excellent. My fav dish of the mains was the sizzling beef in black bean sauce. Beef was nice and tender and the sauce had a great hint of chili. All the mains also came out nice and hot, plus the dishes were not too big, which minimized the waste, which meant we could order an extra king prawn dish.

With our meals we had 5 Bottles of wine and a couple of beers. The bill came to under £30 a head, which included a tip.

Now on to what some people would call a negative. There is a service charge, but at a place that you a constantly being waited on for more food and at a restaurant that is so cheap I think it's a fair pay out, i think it's 12%. I still left a tip, but I know some people are outraged by service charges.

We had a great evening was never rushed, we had a bit of a time out between duck and the main. The evening went so well we we're planning a night back before we left.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Hellz08

Barnham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic value, tasty grub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Always go for the extremely good value all you can eat service - the a la carte is good grub, but it cannot compete with the value of the all you can eat. Normally an all you can eat chinese is a self service affair, with food kept in bain maries under heatlamps, quite often not changed or checked regularly. This restaurant is the exception.

This restaurant is always cooked to order, and quite often very quickly. You can order as many times as you like, so normally a couple plates of mixed starters between the group is a good start. Usual Hong Kong ribs, chicken satay, prawn toast & crispy seaweed, but you also get salt & pepper mushrooms and salt & pepper squid, and the latter is always tender, not rubbery like it can be. You get the choice of Aromatic Duck or Lamb after as well, though the lamb portion tends to be smaller than that of the duck, but once again you can order more. The starters are always hot, fresh and tasty and high quality.

There is a slightly limited selection of main courses, but it is still plenty to choose from, and if you are still hungry you can, well, you know! The main courses are tasty though a little lower in standard than the starters, but certainly better than many chinese restaurants in the area.

The majority of the waitresses are courteous (there are no male staff here that I am aware of), though one of them can be a bit stroppy.

To prevent food wastage, they charge you full price for any uneaten dishes you order - and I agree with this policy, so don't go mad and order the whole menu and a have a mouthful of each dish!

They don't open lunchtimes or at all on mondays, and it is advisable to book. Good for friends or family having a slap up meal. No take-away available.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Dozeydustman
“Great Chinese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Eaten at wing lee load of time and the food is consistently good value for money and the service is great
Best Chinese in gravesend you won't be disappointed

“Hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

The first time I experienced Wing Lee was just before Xmas 2012, it was very busy and the food was so good! Finding a good Chinese restaurant outside of London for me is rare, but this place is a hidden gem. It was our workplace Christmas party and they catered for our party of 30. The waitresses that served us were lovely. Few of my colleagues were vegetarians and they were able to provide a selection of alternative dishes.

Food are made to order so are fresh and hot too!! £14 a head - wish I could find similar price in London! LOL!

I have been 3 more times since, and have loved the addition to their buffet menu.

2 Thank MoodYPie
Kent
“NEVER again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

What a BIG disappointment. Been to the Wing Lee several times for similar get-together - group of over 30 people and never had problems before. Went on Friday evening and the service, food and staff were terrible.

Had to return drink several times - diet coke - flat, tasted weird - gave up after returning 3rd time.

Service of food was poor, food was poor and then to top it all they tried to overcharge us for several more people. The set menu was more than stated on the menu and then to top it all service charge added was not discretionary. The staff were extremely rude.

Overall an experience NEVER to be repeated. You would have thought they would be pleased to have such large partied booking but obviously this was not the case.

• Visited January 2013