“romantic night away”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Goole
Driffield, United Kingdom
“romantic night away”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

when my man told me he was taking me on a romantic night away i asked where to... when he replied GOOLE i thought OMG.
how wrong could i have been, when we are arrived we were greeted by very friendly staff, who kindly asked if they could take our bags up to our room, entering our beautifully decorated and immaculately clean room, the super king bed was so comfortable, the bathroom was lovely, very peaceful room, cocktail;s in the voodoo chilli lounge was served to us by very friendly staff, the food in the restaurant well what can i say... the best tastiest and well presented i've ever had delicious,my sweet was to die for, a very good night sleep, there was a good choice at breakfast, a full breakfast was my mans choice and he thoroughly enjoyed, excellent value for money, and i can't wait for my man to take me back to GOOLE....

Room Tip: room 202 very quite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank janet p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Middle England
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just had the pleasure of spending 2 nights here whilst visiting a supplier in the area. I confess, as I drove down into the dock area of Goole, I began to feel a little unsettled, and when I pulled up outside the Voodoo Chilli lounge, I was feeling decidedly unsure. And then you step through the doors, and there's a glorious building, with helpful staff and a warm welcome.

There are 2 floors, both with long staircases, and no lift that I could see. Rooms 101 and 201 have dual aspect views of the dock basin, which is fascinating to sit and watch. I had 203, which was (according to the fire escape map) one of the smallest rooms. The bathroom was a tad bijou, with not much turning space - even the toilet is a 45 degrees to the norm, so you dont have to wedge your knees against the shower stall. The bed was comfy, and the curtains thick and heavy. I'm never sure about masses of cushions on a bed, though I did discover them to be useful to put on the chair so I could work at the desk. There is an iPod dock alarm, very useful.

I did find that my neighbour had a room with squeaky floorboards, which he proceeded to march up and down from 6.30am - which was the same time that the stevedores start moving cargo around on the dockside across the road. Earplugs would have sorted this though.

The bar and restaraunt have recently been refurbished, so the New Bridge lounge is now the Voodoo Chilli cocktail lounge...which the bar staff assure me does get busy at the weekends. It does now mean that meals have to come out of the ktichen and across reception which seems a bit strange.

I don't think I saw one member of staff over the age of 25, and they are all friendly, good looking young men - like having a hotel staffed by a Take That tribute band - not to be sniffed at! They'll quite happily carry your luggage for you, just as weel, as the car park is at the end of a dodgy looking side road. I think the Lowther could do with sorting out access via the hotel courtyard which, at this time of year, was looking a little sad. I imagine it's quite a suntrap in summer, and I hope there is access from the bar.

I ate dinner both nights - burger of night one was probably not home made, though fries were good, and onion rings like tyre inner tubes. After this, I figured garlic bread on night two would be a similar frozen offering, and was suitably impressed when a home made baguette that had been liberally dressed with home made garlic butter - emphasis on the garlic - was delivered, with some tasty creamy stroganoff.

Would like to come back, just need a reason to be in the area!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kirkby Lonsdale, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

A warm welcome is standard at the Lowther in Goole,its a handsome red brick building on the dock side,it sits in quiet area with ample parking,
The inside is a clever combination of traditional high ceilings with nicely restored detail.
The Bedrooms are quite spectacular and lavishly furnished and possibly the most comfortable bed I have ever enjoyed.
Mine was superbly appointed with a classy Bathroom a large HD TV and full WI FI connection.
Dinner was a treat I had splendid Fish and Chips with mushy peas ,well it is near the sea and it is in Yorkshire.The really wild bit about the Lowther is walking into the Bar its a lively colorful fusion of eccentric modern decor with huge pop group videos being projected on to the walls.
The staff seem to be one big happy family and it all adds to a good atmosphere.I had a lovely cooked breakfast which rounded of a memorable short stay ,but I will return given the chance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Robin R
UK
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Why would anyone stay at the Travelodge, for about the same price ? The Lowther is a really excellent hotel. Relaxed, friendly, good food and excellent rooms. Top job.

I was staying in Goole, whilst spending time with an extremely ill relative – a stressful and stormy time. All the staff at the Lowther were great. They were friendly, supportive and very helpful indeed. Just one small example – I had to stay longer than planned, so was running short of fresh clothes. I asked if they had a washing machine I could use. Better than that, I was given two shopping bags to put my washing in. Within a few hours, it was returned – with the shirts ironed as well. No charge !

The building is really interesting – some fabulous murals in the first floor meeting rooms, lovely staircase and interesting patterned tiles on the floor of reception.

Food was great – over the few days I was there, I had a steak, Caesar salad and fish pie. All were nicely done and very tasty.

Rooms are good. Very recently renovated and all done to a high standard.

The only slight quirk is the location. Being right next to the docks provides some interest and some good views (at the back) across the docks, then river to fields. However, the walk from town to the hotel is along a street which has seen better days.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank nodder64
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed here for one night on business and was really pleasantly surprised.

The staff were friendly, the room was fantastic, the décor throughout the hotel is beautiful, really modern and immaculately clean.

Had a great night sleep, bed was really comfortable and the area was so quiet I could sleep with the window open.

The only small problem I had was that I ordered poached eggs for breakfast and was given fried. They arrived and I did try to say something but the waitress quickly disappeared and I was in too much of a rush to re-order. Although, apart from that the breakfast was great.

I stayed here at the end of a week that I'd been travelling all over the UK on business and had stayed in an awful hotel the night before so I really couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shelleyod
Nederland
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Hotel is situated at the very end of town, near the port. Staff are very friendly. The room we had was very small and the bathroom is the tiniest we have ever seen. We were given a room on the second floor and there is no lift, so we carried our suitcases up. To be fair, the young man at reception offered to carry them upstairs for us. The next morning at breakfast it appeared we had been the only guests in the hotel that night.....why not give us a room that is not on the top floor, then?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Travelled to the East Riding on business last Thursday in the most appalling weather, so it was a pleasure to receive a warm welcome at this rather splendid hotel, the decor throughout the public rooms is outstanding, the experience was further enhanced when we taken to our rooms, which are spacious and fitted to a luxury standard even having 40" flat screen TV's, the beds are so comfortable, a good nights sleep is almost guaranteed. We had dinner in the restaurant which offers a very extensive menu at very reasonable prices, the food was nothing less than outstanding. The following morning the Full English Breakfast was outstanding and so memorable we had to take pictures, will without a doubt return.

Room Tip: All the rooms we had were good, but I understand if you need that extra luxury suites are available...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goole
The Drake Inn
#2 of 10 in Goole
Saltmarshe Hall
Saltmarshe Hall
#1 of 1 in Howden

Been to The Lowther Hotel? Share your experiences!