“Service so appaulling I didnt even bother with food” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Hope & Anchor Inn
Ranked #8 of 73 Restaurants in Goole
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
South Cave, United Kingdom
“Service so appaulling I didnt even bother with food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Firstly, I have heard the food here is good and this is why I wanted to try this place. Unfortunately the service was truly shocking, therefore this review is purely on the customer service and in no way reflects the food.

My wife and I came here for a mid afternoon sunday lunch and after we ordered the drinks we were told by the rude lady behind the bar that the restaurant was full. I said it was not a problem because we can sit outside (all 5 or 6 benches outside were empty) to which the lady replied and said she would have to check if they are available first (I'm sorry, but I have never been to a bar/restaurant were you can make a reservation for a pub bench!). When this rude lady came back she explained we could only order sandwiches if sitting outside. No pleases or thank you's. We therefore had our drink and left.

I'm gutted because I really wanted to try this place as the location is really nice but due to the attitude of this rude lady I will not be coming back.

I also hate to rate this place as terrible as I did'nt even try the food. However, the only way to put my point accross is to do just this. I don't know if she is the land lady or just some stuck up bar staff, but regardless, pubs/restaurants these days cannot afford to be rude to paying customers.

Hopefully this review will encourage the management to take action and improve customer service. If the lady in question is manegement then I'm afraid there is no chance.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Kris K

Hull
“Not sure”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Decided to give it a try after a few people saying how good it is, food was quite good we had steak pie with veg and chips also prawn cocktail but the pub seemed to be lacking something, the staff were a bit cold and it didn't seem sincere when they asked if everything was ok, also it's quite a trek to get there and when you exit the pub the toilets were quite smelly as you passed them.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Howden, United Kingdom
“Fantastic village pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

A great little pub, fantastic food with a great country feel, in great surroundings, beautiful view over the ouse nice to watch the birds and the ships go by in the sun. Always worth a visit food always nice and well presented, with a good variety menu, a nice selection of real ales always on offer, we'll worth a trip out.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank hirstyatwards
York, Yorkshire
“Lovely location, just okay food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Visiting on a lovely sunny day it was relatively quiet. Although all tables were pre booked its a difficult spot to drop in to.

The service was okay with some staff attentive and freindly and other just wanting to not be there.

The food area smelt of grease and old food, not in an attractive way.

The meals and pub grub is okay but not great with an almost chain pub feel, it's not a quality home cooked experience at all.

I'd go again but more for location than a great meal.

Visited July 2013
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice pub in great settings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Visited with my parents after been recommended by a friend. Only 25 mins drive from Hull and well worth the drive. We all had starters and a main not a single complaint about any of the food, it all arrived at good times and was all nice and hot, staff all friendly, pub nice and clean. Finished off with a lovely walk on the bank of the river. Well done everyone at Hope and Anchor we will deffo be visiting again.

• Visited July 2013