“Disappointing”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We visited this restaurant in November using a voucher from the local paper (I think it was 2 main carvery meals for £10). We had no kitchen due to building work so were looking for alternatives to ready meals and sandwiches! We arrived at 5 30 pm having been told there was no need to book a table at that time on a Tuesday evening. We managed to get a table easily enough but I noticed that by 6 15 pm the place was full. Sadly, we both were disappointed with the food (and my husband eats anything!). The roast meats were fine (I enjoyed my turkey) but quite small portions. The vegetables were rather "tired" and uninspiring and the roast potatoes were hard and chewy. Needless to say we were not tempted to have second helpings of vegetables on their "unlimited veg" offer. My husband's prawn cocktail starter was OK but predominantly lettuce and rose marie sauce. Our waitress was courteous and helpful.
The setting is lovely (but irrelevant on a cold November evening!) and the parking is easy.
It is clearly a popular eatery but it is not for me.

1  Thank dyann66
General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Whitewebbs House, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2017

Dyann66, it is disappointing for us to hear that your experience was anything less than great.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

attended a 100th birthday here and was pleasently suprised the staff were lovely and the food good all in all we were impressed

1  Thank tabbycatzPoole

Tabbycatzpoole, we're so glad that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

My visit was intended to take my uncle out for a birthday meal, along with my partner. We arrived lunchtime, around 13.00, to find the establishment buzzing with people. I had forgotten that the children were on half term holiday from school when choosing the date.

A polite young man greeted us, explained that there would be a wait of around 20 minutes for a table and handed us an electronic device that would alert us when a table was free. My guests found seats near the bar while I headed off to buy pre lunch drinks. Two of us had lemonade (I had driven to Whitewebbs) and were told that subsequent lemonade was available from a dispenser in the restaurant area at no extra cost.
We waited around 20 mins, buzzer went off, we found the chap at the entrance and were guided to our table. The waitress soon introduced herself, polite, informative, cheerful. Ok, now to the food.

The food is centred on the English roast dinner, in the style of a carvery. Therefore the diners perambulate from their table to the area where the meat and vegetables are served. I had spotted some tasty looking sausages, I asked the gentleman with the chefs hat on (who was serving and cutting the meat) If I could have one. He replied that of course I could, but I would then be upgrading the meal to a larger version at extra cost (extra £1.50 if memory serves). I agreed, my plate was duly swapped from standard size to jumbo/platter size. All the food on display looked and smelt very inviting. I made my selections and returned to our table.
The meal was very nicely cooked, one could go back for more vegetables if one wished, enjoyed by all three of us. Two of us had desert (one could not manage desert, the main meal had been plenty), ice cream with a choice of pie accompanying. The menu is very family friendly. It was a bit tight for space, yet I have to balance that with the fact that a lot of parents had chosen this time to bring their little darlings out for what was a very filling and tasty meal, at good value for the food served. I doubt anyone left still hungry.

The grounds are very easy on the eye, Whitewebbs house has an adjacent golf course, plenty of parking, even at busy times. I would go again but next time not a lunchtime when the kids are off school!

Greeenmantle, thank you for the high star rating! We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Re-visited recently but only for a drink with friends after my last appalling experience - on that occasion there were no ales on, we had to wait over an hour for our starter, over 20 minutes queuing at the carvery with no staff present. The carvery was, well, inedible and our three meals were left uneaten. Had words with the duty manager expressing our discontent and he voided our food bill and promised a complimentary meal at a future date. Well, surprise surprise, he was full of [--] with his promises of a complimentary meal. I had to write two letters of complaint to the head office before anything was done. Let's face it, with such an appalling carvery and such an abysmal experience, this excuse for a restaurant is the last place on earth I'd want to visit again!

4  Thank Bob O

Bob O, thank you for leaving us feedback. We are disappointed to hear that your experience was not a positive one.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Telephoned to book a table for 6. Advised they were not taking anymore bookings for that evening but could come and just wait for a table to become free. Explained my daughter was heavily pregnant and I did not want to wait around as it could be an hour or more, the girl I was talking to spoke to the manager and when she came back said it would be ok and she booked our table for us which we really did appreciate. The food was really good as well, the roast spuds were really crispy.

Birman2, we're so glad that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations!