“Nice romantic night away” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elstree
Hertfordshire
“Nice romantic night away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our anniversary and instantly was upgraded to a feature room. I'm not sure if this was because some trouble at booking (wrong dates on email confirmation etc).
The room was beautifully decorated, excellent tea making facilities, beds very comfortable.

In our offer we got the dinner included, there was nobody else dining in the restaurant so atmosphere was lacking somewhat, we should have been offered to sit in the bar area instead.
Dinner was okay.
Had great tasty cocktails afterwards.
Breakfast also great, service a little slow but waitress done the best she could.
Had a great night sleep. Would definitely recommend this hotel to others but probably wouldn't rush to come back again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lulub66
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you for your recent review, Lulub66, after your stay at The Manor, Elstree. I am sorry that we got the initial information wrong on your reservation but am pleased that you enjoyed the upgrade and the facilities available in your room. All the bedrooms are individually designed by Laura Ashley and the furnishings are available to purchase from the company if you fancied replicating the look at home! I was disappointed to read that you felt the atmosphere was lacking in the dining room and that the food was just ok. I have recently appointed a new Head Chef and can assure you that all the menu’s are being revised at the moment and that there will be a noticeable change in what we are offering at the The Manor, Elstree. Our breakfast offering, and service, is also being reviewed. I hope that you will not discount staying at The Manor, Elstree again in the future to see the improvements that are being made.

Iain Murray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

We wanted to find a lovely venue to hold my mothers 90th birthday and took an inpromptu trip to see this beautiful hotel. We met with the lovely events Manager who was extremely helpful. We decided to hire the small private dining room.
Over the next few weeks I had several email communications with the events manager with special requests ie certain sandwiches as one of our party was a fussy eater, an oval table - she even asked me if we wanted a cake stand and knife for the birthday cake I was bringing - all this was confirmed to me in writing - so far so good!
When we arrived (early) on the day, the private room was littered with crisps on the floor which I had to pick up myself, there was no cake stand and the table was so big (it must have been a conference table) that it made it almost impossible to move around the room. When the tea arrived it looked completely insignificant in the middle of this huge table almost to the point of looking stingy! and where were the sandwiches that I had requested? I had to ask for them as well as the cake stand. The sandwiches themselves were delicious however, the scones equally so, but the little cakes they provided were very unattractive and looked like they had come from Iceland. The tea was stewed and not very warm. i didnt want to make a fuss as my mother really enjoyed it.
After the tea my husband went to pay at reception - there was no itemised bill - just "its £££££ - a little unprofessional and a bad move on their part as I thought that it included service charge.
They really need to shake up their staff a LOT - there was obviously no communication between the staff as my requests were not carried out - such a shame because it could have been so much better.
On the positive side - we had a beautiful sunny afternoon - the room overlooked the garden and the hotel itself is very lovely.
I didnt receive any communication afterwards to see how we enjoyed the afternoon - surely they are interested in clients' feedback?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ElaineandPaulLondon
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your review regarding the event you held in February of this year. As the new General Manager at The Manor, Elstree, I can only apologise for the team not meeting your expectations. I am glad that you enjoyed the majority of the food and accept your feedback on the individual cakes. As I have mentioned in a previous review, we are revising our Afternoon Tea product and hope to have this “rolled out” in the next couple of weeks. As a Hotel, we do value feedback and I am sure we would have been available to assist, on the day, if things weren’t to your satisfaction but I would like to apologise for the fact that no follow up call was made. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that you will not be put off returning to The Manor, Elstree at some point in the future.

Would be Spaniard
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Myself and some colleagues were booked in at short notice whilst working in Borhamwood last week. What a treat!! We were met by incredibly polite and friendly staff who couldn't have been more welcoming. Each of us had been allocated a room and all 25 of us were attended to swiftly and efficiently. The rooms were tastefully furnished with incredibly comfortable beds (very welcome to a tired and stressed workforce) and they also arranged a set menu with 3 choices of each course so that we could order and be fed promptly. Nothing seemed to much trouble for any of the staff I encountered and although we hadn't traveled with the intention of visiting such a lovely hotel, and therefore were dressed comparatively casually in some cases, we were treated with the utmost respect. I have since recommended this hotel to my son as a birthday surprise for his girlfriend which he booked yesterday - she will love it as much as I did. The view from the hotel balcony (just through the bar area) was beautiful and I envy my son's visit in June when the garden will be at it's best. The whole hotel presents elegance and quality. All of us slept peacefully - just one person had their sleep interrupted by noisy guests (not from our party) but a polite call to reception seemed to sort this out. The breakfast was superb - absolutely every need catered for: fruit, bakery, cereals, cooked, yogurts etc. etc. but all of the highest quality. I can't wait for another opportunity to visit again.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a garden view if possible
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Senora50
Thank you for your comments, Senora50, regarding your recent “unexpected stopover” at The Manor, Elstree. I am glad we were able to help with your last minute requirements and that everyone enjoyed their time, although brief, with us. I can only apologise for the interrupted nights sleep one of your party experienced but am glad that we were able to deal with the situation in an appropriate manner. Indeed, the view from the terrace is spectacular and takes in the London skyline, ideal for a glass, or two, of champagne in the evening before dinner. I look forward to welcoming your son in June and hope that you will get another chance to visit The Manor, Elstree in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Myself and my husband held our wedding reception here in November 2013.

The hotel was beautiful and the grounds were gorgeous. All of our guests commented on how perfect the hotel was, tucked away from the rest of Elstree. The private drive way to the hotel is very special even at night.

The co-ordinator was exceptionally helpful. She made sure that we had everything we wanted from our band to the casino table. Nothing seemed too much hassle which is just the attitude you want when you are planning such a big event.

I stayed in the Mayfair suite both on the night of our wedding but also the night before. The room is breathtaking. The Laura Ashley interior is superb and fresh.

Our wedding dinner food was amazing. I can honestly say I have never been to a wedding with better food (and that's the truth!!). The value was amazing and we are still receiving comments from our guests regarding the menu which was not the standard roast dinner.

My only issues were that the night before our wedding I had to try and sleep whilst Jedward (yes those two eegits) were bouncing around in the room above me. Further to that, when myself and my bridesmaids were getting ready, a member of staff was quite rude to me which wasn't the best way to start the day!! I put this down to language differences however and hope that no one else will have to go through the same experience.

I would advise anyone considering this hotel for their wedding to consider the pros as they, by far, outweigh the cons. James and Lauren really helped the process by being available and approachable.

I have read a few comments about there being no pool or gym facilities. Truthfully this doesn't affect the hotel. I could see a spa being in The Manor, but I don't think a pool nor a gym would fit the building. This hotel isn't for weeks away at a time, it's suited to short breaks so you don't need a gym really.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank annie d
TheManorGM, General Manager at Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, annie d, after your wedding which was held last year at The Manor, Elstree. I was extremely pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your big day and that we delivered on every level. I am not sure what to say about Jedward, other than I am sorry they kept you awake, I hope we attempted to get them to quieten down for you. I have passed on your comments to Lauren regarding her assistance with the planning process and she is extremely pleased that you found her to be approachable and available when needed. We currently are considering plans to install a small gym area within the Hotel as we feel it would add value to our fitness conscious guests. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Manor, Elstree in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Mothers Day Tea was a lot better than the reviews on here have said, it's was tasty,nice finger sandwiches, mini smoked salmon bagel lovely scones quite tasty, Very busy and fully booked we were given a aluminium Coffee or hot water jug, no Teapots china or metal tea pots shame no loose leaf tea this should be standard in an over 2star Hotel, no spoon for the Jam or Cream,Full size forks not proper small cake forks attention to detail is needed here. A small plant in a cute bag was given to Mothers on our table did not get any till we asked after we had finished and were looking round the hotel.They quickly came back with two for us well played! Why telephone earlier in the week about how many Mothers on table and then just not remember to give the gift do it.such a shame as it is a lovely gesture from the Hotel, thank you, the price was just right £20.00. Overall it was a lot better than expected but this is the Laura Ashley brand the mini details do matter and would really make it an experience than just Tea ,perhaps the Catering Manager will read this because more attention to detail and they will have it just right lovely setting. Staff very polite and did their best on such a busy service.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Poopon
Thank you for your feedback after your recent visit to The Manor, Elstree for Mothers Day Afternoon Tea. I was pleased to read that you found the food to be tasty but was slightly confused, and embarrassed, as to why your tea was served in an “aluminium” coffee pot. This is not the standard that we follow normally and I can only apologise for this happening. Your comments regarding the attention to detail have been duly noted and we are currently looking to improve the overall standard for Afternoon Tea at The Manor, Elstree. I am sorry about the confusion over the gifts we were offering on the day and can assure you that this was not oversight was not intended. Thank you for your feedback and I hope that you will return to The Manor, Elstree in the future to enjoy our new, and improved, Afternoon Tea offering.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

An amazing experience for our Wedding night. On arrival we were warmly greeted and our luggage take directly to our room without fuss. We stayed in a Junior Suite (Victoria) which was most luxurious & finely decorated with great attention to detail. Very clean & hygienic, flat screen tv, iron, ironing board, sofa, swivel chair, desk, wardrobe, carpeted and plenty of cushions (all Laura Ashley). The staff & room service were most professional & couldn't do enough. The breakfast buffet was plentiful with a huge choice of cereals, fresh fruit, bakery products, smoke salmon, cheeses, yoghurts and meats. A cooked breakfast was accompanied with fresh coffee, tea and fruit juices. It goes without saying you get what you pay for. This is a very impressive hotel with great grounds and surrounds. Will definately return for special occasions. Worth every penny. Anyone staying will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your fantastic comments, hotelinspectior01, after your stay at The Manor, Elstree. Please also let me congratulate you, belatedly, on your wedding. I am pleased to read that you found the hospitality offered by the team to be professional and that the Junior Suite you stayed in met your expectations. All our bedrooms are individually designed by Laura Ashley which means you can expect high quality finishes everywhere. I was also glad to read that you enjoyed our breakfast this, along with all our menu’s, will be undergoing a revamp in the coming months. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that I will get the opportunity to meet you in the not so distant future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

We have just held an Anniversary Brunch at The Manor - a most memorable affair , made possible by the extremely efficient and courteous staff. The Hotel's refurbishment has been loveingly done and the overall product is delightful. We found the food and presentation very good and felt that we got a "value for money" deal. Looking forward to going back for dinner sometime.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your positive comments, NG55. We strive to have a passionate approach to hospitality and it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your family occasion with us at The Manor, Elstree. I have, naturally, passed on your positive feedback to the team and they are pleased to hear that your party enjoyed themselves. I am pleased that you enjoyed the décor of the Hotel, many guests have commented on the dramatic change, and that you felt the presentation and the quality of the food was to a high standard. Our new Head Chef starts shortly and we will be rewriting all our menu’s in the coming weeks which should make for some exciting changes. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Manor, Elstree in the future.

Iain Murray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elstree
Sopwell House
St Michael's Manor Hotel
St Michael's Manor Hotel
#4 of 9 in St. Albans
BEST WESTERN PLUS Grim's Dyke Hotel

Been to Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree? Share your experiences!