“Great Hotel, But not location”

Village Hotel London Watford
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elstree
“Great Hotel, But not location”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in London, great food, staff were very helpful, had a full bar that was open till very late. You have the option of room with or without breakfast, I took with breakfast, I really enjoyed it. Rooms were very clean, rooms were large and very quiet, wifi was good/free in the rooms. The only problem was that it was very far from every where. From the airport it cost me about a hundred pounds by taxi, and took me almost 2hours to get here. I tried to take the tube or bus from the airport, I was advices not to bother, that it will take forever. I spent 3nights here, that was because I had a conference there, if not I would have left earlier. From the hotel to city center by bus was about 30mins. There were no shops close by, no restaurant close that was walking distance. It was in the middle of no where. For couples that wants to spend time together great location. Also for business people that need to rest or get business done, no distraction Wonderful place. Shoppers, young party goers, or sight seeker, not recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Luke P, General Manager at Village Hotel London Watford, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Greetings JUDE I,

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent experience at Village Urban Resort London Elstree. The team and I were extremely please you enjoyed your stay and we were able to provide you with an positive experience.

Although our location is North London I was surprised to read our team had not advised you of the options of Tube or Train into central London. Stanmore Underground Station is located 5 minutes from the hotel and is accessible by either bus or taxi (£5 charge). Once on the underground it takes 30 minutes to reach central London. I apologise if our team had not made this information available to you.

We were however extremely pleased you found our rooms to your liking and had the opportunity to visit our bar & restaurant.

JUDE I, thank you again for your review. We certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Village Urban Resort London Elstree in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My family and I stayed in this hotel for 1 night. When I placed the booking online the room option available for a family was a king room. I phoned the hotel also to ensure that there would be enough room for a family of 4 and was assured that there were 2 extra beds placed in the room which turned it into a family room.

When we arrived at the hotel it looked lovely, the food at the Victory Pub was nice, although despite the menu stating kids under 5 eat free, this was not strictly true. We went up to our room and were amazed at how they had the audacity to call this a family room!! Right in front of the front door was a single bed, over against the window on the far side of the room was another single bed, which prevented anyone from being able to utilise the desk and chair. We were squashed in like sardines.

Other problems we had, the glass mount by the TV fell off the wall which was a nearly hit my child. And using the shower meant that the bathroom floor flooded as the shower screen was not sufficient.

I thought this hotel was massively overpriced for what it was. It is charging central London prices when it is on a industrial estate, and definitely not in central London.

On the plus side, the hotel staff were friendly, and the kids enjoyed the pool.

I think if anyone is looking at visiting this hotel with kids, then maybe look elsewhere, as this is not suitable for a family and not worth the money.

Hi maria2785,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent experience at Village Urban Resort London Elstree. Although I was disappointed to read your disappointment in our family room I was pleased you found our team to be friendly.

I was unaware of the incident which took place in your room regarding the TV mount and would certainly appreciate the opportunity to discuss the matter personally with you. If possible it would be greatly appreciated if you would contact me at luke.pearl@village-hotels.com as we take such incidents extremely seriously.

I hope to hear from you in the near future and thank you again for your review.
Nottingham
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at this hotel during the weekend for 1 night whilst visiting Wembley to see Eminem. It was my first time staying at a Village Resort hotel. I was very impressed as soon as we arrived. Free parking, which had lots of spaces available, very happy. The reception staff were amazing, and couldn't of done any more to help us, check in was very quick, and we were told everything we needed to know. Next thing was free WIFI, even better! Rooms were immaculate, spacious, modern, and very cosy. Loved the bathroom, especially the shower.
The hotel itself was also very clean, and modern.
It cost us £6 for a taxi to Stanmore Station, where it was only a couple of stops for Wembley, Perfect. We did however find out the following day it is only £2 to park all day at Stanmore Station on a Saturday.
Breakfast was lovely. A wide choice available to suit everyone. Staff were very helpful again, and couldn't of done any more to help.
We unfortunately didn't have the time to visit the spa or gym.
This has become my favourite hotel chain, and I will be very likely trying other Village Resorts during my next weekend away :-)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings Bram23,

On behalf of the team at Village Urban Resort London Elstree thank you for your review of your recent experience at the hotel. The team and I were delighted we were able to provide you with an enjoyable experience!

Free wifi is certainly an excellent facility we happily provide to our guests and we are glad this assisted in delivering an enjoyable stay. Our monsoon showers are certainly a favourite amongst our guests along with our modern rooms which we have recently spent time bringing about improvements.

Bram23, thank you again for taking the time and trouble to review our hotel. We certainly are pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights when we went to the Harry potter studio tour (which is around 25mins away approx) and also into London. The hotel itself is modern and clean and the majority of the staff were very helpful. We stayed with our 3 month old and requested a quiet room with a travel cot and they delivered both of these things without any trouble. Our room overlooked the car park at the front, with the windows shut you don't hear a thing, but with the windows open it's incredibly noisy (even on a Sunday night!!) it sounded like there were deliveries arriving all night. The bed was comfortable but quite hard and moved away from the headboard if you rolled over etc. overall It was very clean and the monsoon shower is amazing if you been walking around London allday!! We ate in both restaurants, but we definitely preferred the Italian even though the menu was small. Two main courses and two drinks came to under £20. The bar / grill was very disappointing as we went for an evening meal on Sunday evening around 7ish, it wasn't very busy and yet they had sold out of most things on the menu !! It was also £32 for two main courses and two drinks and the quality of the food was average !!! Breakfast buffet was good with the option of full English, pastries, fruit, cereal and toast. Tea and coffee were brought to your table but oj and milk were available on the buffet.

Can't comment on tube stations because we drove and used the hotels free parking but we drove to Westfield shopping centre in Stratford and it took approx 45 mins and the same to get to Kew Gardens.

Dear Sarah I,

It would appear you have provided us with 2 reviews from your recent stay at Village Urban Resort London Elstree. This is absolutely fine with us as we appreciate as much feedback about our guest’s experience our reviewers are willing to provide.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future!
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and we were given an end of corridor room (306) and didn't hear any ot...
Dear Sarah0250,

Thank you for your recent review of Village Urban Resort London Elstree. The team and I were extremely pleased you had enjoyed your stay!

I was especially pleased our modern bedrooms were to your liking, our walk in monsoon showers are certainly a favourite amongst our guests! Furthermore I was happy to read you enjoyed your experience in Buca di Beppo as we have been working to improve our service and offerings within the restaurant.

I can only apologise some items from our pub menu were missing, this is certainly not a usual occurrence.

Sarah0250, thank you again for your feedback as it will allow us to bring further improvement to our service and offerings. I certainly hope we have to opportunity to welcome you back to Village Urban Resort London Elstree in the near future.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I use this chain Uk wide but this is not one of the better ones. Reception area needed a good clean, floors dirty and dusty, tables not cleared of glasses/cups regularly.
Bar area floors sticky definitely that old nightclub feel. Food in Victory bar area exceptionally poor with very limited choice more so than other hotels of this type within the chain. Staff could be abrupt when ordering food at the bar. Would say they were overworked but certainly came over as stressed and normal requests could be too much trouble. Rooms clean, quiet and tidy. Reception staff helpful in contrast to bar and restaurant people. Overall good location, having used the DeVere/ village chain regularly for business perhaps my colleague and I had too high expectations. We would use again through location rather than choice.

• Stayed June 2014
Hi Ron G,

First and foremost please allow me to apologise for our lapse in service during your recent visit to Village Urban Resort London Elstree. We pride ourselves on our high level of service and standards however on this occasion we seem to have fallen short.

I do not wish to look for excuses but would rather work to identify why we have fallen short and bring immediate improvement to ensure it is not repeated in the future.

I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience directly with you. If possible if you could please contact me at luke.pearl@village-hotels.com it would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to hear from you in the near future and thank you for your valuable feedback
london
Reviewed July 8, 2014

on arrivel at hotel 11=30 , early , was informed by lady on reception , we could book in ,
on arrive to the room on first floor , the outlook (if u can call it that )
was of a roof of a building , went straight back down to reception and explain / ask if we could have a room with a view ,
was informed to return to room and she will see what she could do .
ten minutes later a diffent room will be avable in 30 min
change rooms to 3 rd floor with view and 20 min later reception actual phone up , to make sure room was ok ,( 5 stars to reception )
car park is more than bigger enother for all cars and more
we use the swimming pool / sauna / steam 4 times when we were there
change rooms / lockers / showers was first class
two MAJOR COMPLAINT WITH THE SWIMMING POOL AREA
dispte notices up in the change rooms saying u must wear over shoes pool side
which staff did . there was a lot of people walking from the changing rooms around the pool side , with normal shoes on and no over shoes on ,( pleanty my the entrance to the pool , from both changing rooms ,)
staff pool side was not intrested in what was going on ,
plus there were certain women in the pool , going backwards and forward to sauna/steam . wearing a suit that complete covered there body , this can not be hyginc to allow this sort of dress in the pool ,
use the restruant on first night , it was not busy , but serve was very slow ,
menu and prices was what expect of the hotel ,
second night use the bar in hotel for a meal ( sunday )
staff very friendly , but half what was on the menu was off the menu ,
which was disapponting , but what we did have was good and resonable price , so was the drink
breakfast on both days was great , pleanty choice from the cerail section and the cook secation .
but again , at to chase up / actaul ask for tea / coffee , as got fed up waiting to be ask
reason not give 5 stars , was the swimming pool let in down
all the staff at to do . was give over shoes to people walking in with out them and ask them to wear them
im sure most of the people not compling were members of the health club .
with which if asked / pointing out , this couls easly be overcome
not sure if this is possible or not , but the first floor rooms that look out on to a roof ,
would it not be possible to put plant pots out there , to give a slight better out look
because no way would i be happy to stay in a room with that outlook .

Room Tip: ask for rooms on the front of the building and higher floors
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robrt
Dear robrt,

Thank you for providing us with feedback from our recent experience at Village Urban Resort London Elstree. Although we are extremely pleased you enjoyed your stay it was disappointing some areas were below our usual high levels of service our guests have come to expect.

I was extremely pleased we were able to provide you with an early check in. Although you were unhappy with the first room we provided I am happy the team were able to locate, clean and still provide an early check in. Furthermore I was delighted to see our team provided a courtesy call to ensure your new room was to your liking.

I would also like to thank you for providing us with such valuable feedback regarding your experience within our pool. We certainly do require members/guests who are walking around the pool to wear plastic shoe sleeves. In regards to your comments surrounding full length swimming suits I am unsure of this practice but will endeavour to investigate to ensure there is no risk to hygiene to our guests.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to provide us such valuable feedback as it is only with constructive comments we able to drive improvement. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Village Urban Resort London Elstree.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elstree
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
Mercure London Watford Hotel
Jurys Inn London Watford
Premier Inn London Elstree / Borehamwood Hotel
Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel

Been to Village Hotel London Watford? Share your experiences!