“Good value and lovely pool and gym”

Village Hotel London Watford
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elstree
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
“Good value and lovely pool and gym”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I had a night stop at The Village and upgraded to a top-deck room which I think was a good idea as it was extremely quiet, had lovely cotton sheets and a very comfortable bed. We had dinner with some business colleagues and my steak was cooked perfectly to order (rare), with excellent al dente vegetables. The house wine was good value at £15 (I think?) and good quality, served suitably cooled. The waiter had been unusually well-trained and knew precisely how to serve wine - well done.
We used the pool and gym and had a great chat with some locals in the extensive whirlpool - they were clearly intelligent and big earners. It is very pleasant when leisure club members don't treat paying hotel guests as second class citizens - on both occasions we used the spa facilities,, everyone was polite, chatty and helpful - the exit from the changing room was not exactly obvious but someone pointed it out to me. The pool is warm clean and a good size (25M?).
Breakfast was fine but not brilliant (7 out of 10) although the chef cooked me some lovely fresh poached eggs to perfection. Probably one of the best features are the excellent reception staff. It is one of the easiest check-ins and check-outs ever, and my bill was lower than expected, which was a pleasant surprise. The car park is huge but very busy - we felt lucky to find one of the few spare slots. But that might have been due to the fact that there was a function on that evening. I would go back and the location is very handy for the M1, M25, and A1, and I did not detect any noise from the motorway which is not exactly on your doorstep as implied by another reviewer. In this area The Village represent good value for a 4-star hotel.

Room Tip: Book a standard room and ask for an upgrade to the 'top-deck'. Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We booked a table at the Italina restaurant at this hotel for Valentines day and as my husband is disabled and has very difficult walking and is on crutches, we foudn no spaces in their disabled car parking bays. Out of more than 16 disabled bays, only 2 cars had disabled badges. We had to park further away in the car park in a non disabled spot. We mentioned this to the reception area and they said they dont have the staff to control this. This is not the first time we have experienced this. All the disabled spaces are always full.
What every happened to the needs of people who are disabled and need this space for wheelchairs?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank couple1
Luke P, General Manager at Village Hotel London Watford, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Greetings Couple1,

Although it has been some time since your visit to Village Urban Resort London Elstree I wanted to take the opportunity to contact you. The hotel has undergone a transformation over the past 12 months and as such has an entirely new management team. We believe we have made many improvements across the hotel which leads me to why I have made contact.

We have introduced an external company to control our car park and ensure disabled bays are not utilised incorrectly. We introduced this measure due to the high level of complaints we were receiving from our members and guests and I wanted to advise you of this change.

I do hope this will restore your faith in our hotel and we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with work and to be honest never had a problem with village before, until now.
Service was dreadful, waited approx 10-15 mins per time at the victory pub despite it being quiet, hardly victorious. Food average and drinks overpriced. Room was ok but two single beds pushed together and no remote control for tv, so went searching and found all kinds of problems, stained beds with blood, dust everywhere and sweet wrappers under bed, so called reception to ask for someone to come up to room to show them and no one showed up, for £120 for one person for the night I would hardly call this value for money, only positive is location. I shall be writing to head office to complain about this experience

• Stayed February 2013
Farnham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Spent one night at the village hotel in Elstree. The hotel has a large car park and is located in a small business park in the middle of nowhere and due to it proximity to the M1 rooms at the back of the hotel can be very noisey. I moved room. I did not use the health and fitness club but it looked very good and well used by local people.
The hotel is trendy and a little noisey (lots of gym members having a beer etc) but generally the ambience is good. There is also free wi-fi everywhere.
I had a standard room which was big enough and had a nice bed and all the normal things you would expect. The bathroom was large with a walk in shower that was hot and powerful. one small negative of the room is the lighting which left the room a little dark in places especially the wardrobe. The room was clean but showing signs of wear and tear.
The Iltalian restaurant was at best average and a little pricey. Breakfast was OK and very similar to Premier Inn.Staff were overall very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are noisey due to M1
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel has some very strong positives but also falls short with some very basic errors. Overall though we would stay here again. However, for the benefit of Trip Advisor users and also the hotel Management I am going to give my very objective feedback, as if Management take note of my comments (which generally echo the reviews below mine), then with some improvement this really could be a perfect place for anyone looking for a hotel in the area. Now for the review . . . Elstree is more or less in the middle of nowhere, so to have a hotel with the facilities it has is an absolute find. Plus, there are plenty of car parking spaces outside, and there is public transport not too far away, so accessibility is not hindered by parking problems or public transport communication links. Inside the hotel, the reception area was comfortable, although very noisy and crowded on weekends, as gym members tend to gather there after or before their workouts. However, the atmosphere was always very pleasant, so the fact that it was busy was not really too much of an issue. The front of house staff were also excellent, pleasant, helpful, accommodating, and polite. CONGRATULATIONS! At last a hotel which employs professional front of house staff and for clearly proving them with good training. What a breath of fresh air that was, considering I have encountered so many poor front of house staff in the hundreds of hotels I have stayed in over the years. Unfortunately though, similar to other reviews I had some issues with the room. It was small, although we did have a cot in the room (thank you for arranging this). We could cope with the size though. The major problem was the really, really, really, poor lighting. I have no idea how any guest could conclude it was stylish and atmospheric as suggested in a review below. It was actually gloomy and unpleasant and practically it was at times even too hard to locate things. Plus, the wardrobe had no light inside, so inside an already dark room, we had to just feel our way around the wardrobe to hang things up or take things out. That is no exaggeration. We stayed 4 nights, so Management, my recommendation to you is to improve the lighting situation in the rooms. For one night it may be tolerable, but for more than that is just unpleasant. In addition, the carpet in the room was ugly, and actually, sorry to say, dirty. It needed replacing. The bed was small but not too uncomfortable. The bathroom was a good size, and strangely enough disproportionately larger in comparison to the bedroom. The shower was also very disappointingly weak for a rainforest shower head. So the room could have been a lot better. Nevertheless, I want to mention that the gym was good, and there was free Wi-Fi which worked fine, plus breakfast was average/OK. In conclusion though, as I mentioned above, we would stay again. However, with strong competition nearby, without basic changes, we wouldn't race back. If you decide to ignore 90% of my review, and can only implement a few changes, then for the sake of your guests, focus on improving the lighting in the rooms and for heaven’s sake change/clean the carpet! Thank you to the front of house staff though, as you are the most professional I have dealt with for quite some time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Joel019
Rambouillet, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Spend one night at the village hotel in Elstree. The hotel is located in the small business park. This is convenient for business, but in the middle of nowhere (need to have a car). As I staid only for a short night, I did not take advantage of the nice health and fitness club, with a 25 m pool, which is probably the strong point of the hotel.
My room was large, with good bed and free internet access. A few points to improve:
Lightening: some parts of the room are really dark
Nothing to put your suitcase (maybe it was missing in my room°
The bathroom is modern and simple, minimum toiletry (soap dispenser only, no tissues)
Breakfast is OK

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
East Kilbride
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We won a competition to stay at this hotel and attend the celebrity big brother final. It is about 10 minutes away from the Elstree & Borhamwood station. On arrival we were given a complimentary upgrade which gave us sky movies, starbucks goodies and Egyptian cotton sheets. We were very happy with this until we realised the starbucks goodies were nothing more than tea & coffee & we didn’t actually get any use of the sky movies.

The room was nicely decorated and very modern although there was nothing that was particularly spectacular and could see no reason why you would pay extra for it. We felt there should have been more lights as some parts of the room were dark.

The tea making facilities are on a separate stand and not near any plug so if making any tea or coffee you need to move it all to the beside cabinets.

There is an Italian restaurant, pub & Starbucks on the ground floor so there are plenty of options for anyone having dinner. The breakfast was served in the Italian restaurant and was cold & hot buffet style. It was just a standard breakfast you would expect from a 4* hotel.

Didn’t use the leisure facilities but from what I seen of them they looked good.

Most of the celebrities that were in Big Brother stayed at this hotel (Heidi & Spencer from the Hills were next door to us).

I would stay again and we had a perfectly nice stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elstree
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,678 reviews

Been to Village Hotel London Watford? Share your experiences!