“massive comfy bed”

Ranked #4 of 14 Didcot B&B and Inns
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“massive comfy bed”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed in 'the house on the corner' for one night . Room was clean quiet and private , Best thing was the massive comfy bed , small room .toilet outside the main door but no-one else has use of it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
west sussex
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Thank you Wendy for making us feel at home from the moment we rang your door bell,
we stayed in the studio at the top of the house a very pleasant room with all we needed.
the stairs are a little steep but its all part of the character of the house,
on the down side there was no cooked breakfast but cereals and toast was available in the room along with tea and coffee,
would we stay again ? the answer to that has to be a yes

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brickbat
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Thanks Wendy, for making us so welcome, for our weekend visit to Didcot Railway Centre. The House on the Corner is just a few minutes walk from the centre and Wendy made us feel very welcome.

We had a lovely room on the second floor, our own fridge, a settee, table and chairs and TV/DVD. This was called the Studio Room.

We had a wonderful time at the Railway Centre wholeheartedly recommend both the Centre and the House on the Corner if you're visiting the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Studio room and, although we only stayed for a weekend, it looked a great option fo...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank George L
London
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I couldn't disagree more with the last reviewer. We stayed here in June for the third time, whilst visiting friends and family.

It's an old house and, yes, the stairs to the top rooms are a little steep for the elderly but the studio room was charming and worth it. Not all rooms are at the top. No cooked breakfast but we were delighted with the fully stocked fridge, cereals, juices and usual tea and coffee. Everything in our room was fresh including the flowers.

Rooms are spotlessly clean and we'll certainly be here next time and not the Premier Inn which was over £100 when I last stayed there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank natskov
Oxfordshire
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Stayed for one night as it was very close to friends we were visiting. Booking was an utter shambles and had it not been so convenient I'd have given up after about the fourth phone call. I was told a variety of stories as to whether or not there was a room available and at no point did Wendy seem to have the faintest idea that she'd spoken to me before! I was repeatedly asked to call back although I had provided my contact details. The room was clean, but that's about all I can say in favour of this B&B. It was also cluttered and does NOT come with all facilities, contrary to what you will be told. Read the website carefully - the following are not made clear:
1) Yes, there is a shower and basin, but these are IN the room (not en suite).
2) The only loo is shared between three rooms. If you're in one of the top floor rooms, this is also one floor down a flight of very steep narrow stairs. I do not consider a room without a loo to have all facilites!
3) The stairs make the rooms inaccessible to anyone not fully able-bodied - narrow, steep, short treads and no hand rail on the top flight (not a problem for me, but my parents wouldn't have coped)
4) This is a B&B that doesn't (in my opinion) do breakfast. You are given a small selection of breakfast cereals (some in open boxes that have been there for god knows how long), a loaf of white sliced, a pint of milk, tea/coffee and the remnants of someone else's butter.
The bed was also pretty uncomfortable - you could feel the springs even through the mattress topper, so no expense spared on guest comfort, then! I was told that she didn't do breakfast to keep the costs down, but at £60 per night, this is hardly budget accommodation. It is more expensive than the Premier Inn at Milton Park, where at least you know what you're getting and someone will be available should you have any queries. Payment only taken in cash on arrival - you have to let yourself out when you leave and post the keys as no-one is around. Draw your own conclusions on that one!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank AndieP
London
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I stayed at the house on the corner for two weeks when I was working at milton park. I can't recommend highly enough and I will stay there next time I'm working in Didcot.

Great location, close to work and very friendly.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank EalingRichard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Didcot
Milton Hill, Abingdon
#9 of 14 in Didcot
The Cherry Tree
The Cherry Tree
#2 of 7 in Steventon

Been to The House on the Corner? Share your experiences!