“Expensive mistake!”

PINK BICYCLE TEA ROOM
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Occoquan
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Pink Bicycle Tea Room has been serving tea and lunch in this historic town since 2001. The two perky pink bicycles that grace this historic building were discovered at a good ol' flea market and thus the name was created. Ms. Lisa loves welcoming guests from all across the globe to partake in the art of tea and friendship. Whether you're spending a day with your BFF or celebrating a special occasion like a Baby Shower or Bridal Shower this is the place to visit.
maryland
“Expensive mistake!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We tried unsuccessfully for two days to get a reservation, but decided to chance it and show up anyway with our young granddaughters (they really wanted to go to the PB for a luncheon tea). They had us listed on their reservation paper, however, we never got a call or email back, no response at all. The establishment seemed rundown and untidy from the outside and not much better on the inside. After our one hour drive to Occoquan, the first thing I did was use the restroom. The toilet would not flush and the sink was dirty; should have been my first clue that things were not going to go well! I immediately reported the toilet problem to the hostess but before we left we used the restroom again and the problems had not been taken care of. Our two granddaughters ordered a Princess Tea each, however, when we saw the prices for the other regular 'teas' we decided to order something else. We ordered a bowl of soup, but when it arrived it was in a small bowl any other restaurant would have consider a cup! The tea sandwiches were of white bread that looked like Wonder bread and the desserts were so bad the kids would not eat them. The WORST was the scone! It was heavy as a brick and tasted strange. My mother was English so I know what a good scone should taste like, and this was awful! The girls would not even eat theirs, and they are not fussy eaters. The entire tea took 90 minutes and cost over $70.00 for two princess teas and two CUPS of soup with small side salad! The only saving grace was the girls are too young to know how bad it actually was. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank sterling902

Woodbridge, Virginia
“Great place for afternoon tea”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Took my mother for her 80th birthday. Loved it! Staff was attentive and very helpful. We especially loved the variety of sandwiches. Everything was presented beautifully.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank dcarl10
Winchester, Virginia, United States
“WORST TEA EXPERIENECE EVER!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

If I could give 0 stars, I would. My mother and I both took time off work to have a nice, leisurely tea - I would have rather been at work. The property is in terrible condition. The rusty pink bicycle was hidden in what may have been a lawn at one point but now looked like an overgrown jungle. There was the same old tea cup another reviewer mentioned on the stairs. Just waiting to be seated or helped was several minutes in a dusty room with an odd smell; I didn't even want to sit on the chair or sofa for the long period we waited.

It took 20 minutes for our tea order to be taken. When the tea arrived easily 10-15 minutes later, it was not served with anything. We had maybe 8 sugar cubes in what was already sitting on our table, and not only was this not refilled, but we weren't offered lemon, cream, honey or any other sweeteners. Not that any of these would have helped the luke warm tea, which was a perfect match for the room temperature water.

They were out of several items, many of which you EXPECT at a tea (especially for $60) - clotted cream, the flavor tea I ordered, soup, diet coke and who knows what else. In the time it took to serve each disappointing course, they could have run to a store or whipped up a fresh batch of everything.

The food was lacking in both quantity and quality. The sandwich choices were limited, served on what appeared to be Wonder Bread, and smaller than a Twix bar. I didn't mind the size since they looked awful. The only expected one was the cucumber, which was actually just a cucumber on a round piece of bread.

I ate more of the fruit on our "tower" than anything. The tower for two was actually a single cake stand holding the sandwiches, desserts and fruit for two all on one level (with plenty of room). Dessert was a slightly hard/slightly chewy cookie, what looked like store bought bundt cake and a hard chocolate strip (maybe turtle brownie?) with caramel.

Tea is one of my favorite things to do, and I wish I had one positive thing to say, but I can't come up with one thing. Exceptionally slow and not too friendly service (not the linger and enjoy type), dirty tables next to us (and when it was finally cleaned, he set their dirty tower on our table while he did other things) despite the fact that we watched our waiter clean others while we waited for him to take our order or bring out the next item, tacky decor hung crookedly on the walls, unimpressive serving plates and cups, crumbs stuck in our lace tablecloth when we sat down and a shower in the bathroom which was out of toilet paper.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank krissypants83
Stafford, Virginia
“RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN CLICK YOUR MOUSE”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is the worst of the worst, how I managed to miss these reviews before me, especially yesterdays review, I'll never know but I did...totally agree with the previous complaints paid $ 60.00 for tea for two, with horrible food. My friend and I enjoy going to Tea just to enjoy the food, atmosphere, and relax, we have always gone to Fredericksburg, and wanted to try this for a change. WHAT A TERRIBLE MISTAKE. The sandwiches were with regular white bread only some of crusts cut of, not bakery bread as in other tea rooms, the tuna was so fishy you couldn't swallow it, and the pickles added to the tuna sandwich were more than the tuna, they also consider a piece of cheese & a cracker a sandwich. took over an hour to be served our tower, and 3 out of the 4 tables in the room surrounding us were piled with dirty dishes. the great desserts as noted on the menue was a dried up old sliver of store bought pound cake, with some very old dried could not even cut with knife chocolate ( seemed like it may be left over brownies from last month ) covered with hersheys caramel sauce. we asked if this was really the dessert and were told yes. we told them the food was terrible and they did not even offer to take it back or replace it. the waitress was slower than molasses on ice. We would strongly recommend you pass this up as fast as you can click your computer mouse.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Joyce C
Tampa, Florida
“Run, don't walk AWAY from this tea room”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Initially we were very excited to be going to the Pink Bicycle Tea Room. We were visiting from Florida and my sister-in-law made reservations for eight of us to celebrate both her birthday and my daughter's 17th birthday. My daughter and I love tea rooms and from the pictures this one looked very charming. None of the others in our group had ever been to one before, so we thought this would be a great experience for them. We were so WRONG. From the minute we pulled up, I had a bad feeling. What had looked "charming" in pictures looked old, run down and not taken care of in person. There was an employee smoking on the porch (yuck) and old tea cup lying on the stairs and the pink bicycle was propped in the weeds. When we came in the first thing that hit me was that it seemed sort of dingy. The chairs they had at all the tables were the kind you would have found in a 1970's era conference room....not a cute tea room. They sat us in a room of our own which was nice, but again looked very uncared for. Pictures were hanging lopsided on the walls, we had a huge CD storage area in front of us (and at one point very loud jazz music was playing??) and best of all my daughter and I had what appeared to be old coffee cups at our seat instead of tea cups. REALLY?? This is suppose to be a cute tea room. Again, I took all of these things as a bad sign, but was hoping the food and service would make up for all this. Sadly, I was very wrong this time. We had two girls wait on us. Both seemed nice, but neither seemed to know anything about tea at all. I asked one what there most popular tea was and she told me she had no idea because she hadn't worked there long. She didn't bother to go ask and clearly who ever owns or manages the place took zero time to educate them on tea room food or etiquette. Also, it took forever to be served. Normally tea rooms are a place to relax and take your time, but this took hours!!! We ordered 5 high teas and 3 princess teas for the kids. Have I mentioned that this was my most expensive, yet worst tea experience ever?? The adults were $30 each and the kids were $15 each. I was paying and I knew it was going to be quite a bit, but I was in shock when the bill was $245 dollars. They made sure they put their gratuity on there before I paid the bill. Here is the thing, I wouldn't have minded if the food and service was great, but it was awful!!! The tiny salad was sadly the best part. The scones (the girl said they don't have flavors...they are just plain) tasted like bisquick mix. They were warm, but my poor son got one that was cold and tasted absolutely awful. After we sent it back, the girl came back and said they had accidentally given him a gluten-free scone. All I can say is, if you are gluten-free do not come here!!! Our towers were a complete disappointment and by the time we got them everyone was irritated and had cold tea. Normally at all the other tea rooms, you get your own tower. We were given two towers between 5 of us and had to share. The food was very basic, very little of it and not near what we have gotten at other less expensive tea rooms. Overall, our experience was just so bad. I would NEVER recommend this tea room to anyone else. The worst part was my daughter and sister-in-law were so disappointed on their birthdays and my daughter (who had asked to go to a cute tea room in Virginia) felt terrible for dragging everyone to this place. The Pink Bicycle Tea Room was successful at doing one thing....curing the guys in our family from ever wanting to go to tea again!!

• Visited June 2013