“Possibly the blandest carvery we've ever had!”
Review of The New Wheatsheaf

The New Wheatsheaf
Ranked #4 of 99 Restaurants in Castleford
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The New Wheatsheaf in Castleford Carvery - Bar Meals & A La Carte Restaurant. We are a family owned and run bar and restaurant, with a strong belief in using the freshest local produce, for over 25 years, we have been catering for the people of Castleford and far beyond, offering a vast range of choice from simple, traditional pub food to our fantastic carvery menu using the best British produce.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We went for a cavery tonight at the New Wheatsheaf which we found very disappointing. The veg, mash, potatoes and gravy barley tasted of anything. I don't think they know what seasoning is in that place. Everything tasted bland, didn't finish the meal. There were empty condiment bowls so had to ask and wait for more sauce to be brought out. Plates too small for the size of the Yorkshire puddings so you had to try and move it about the plate when eating other things. Will not be visiting here again!

Grant A, Owner at The New Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Hi, Thanks for your review
I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit, we do try to cater for a wide range of tastes, seasoning of food is a very personal thing, I'm sure you’d agree?

You can see from our reviews that 95% of our customers are more than satisfied with the food that we offer.

Regards,
Grant Ackroyd

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I met a friend here on a Sunday for a catch up and bar snack. I have been before years ago and the pub was always popular then (for lunches).

There is plenty of choice however the pub/restaurant only serves the carvery on Sunday afternoons. They do the full menu I think after 5pm ish.

We weren't wanting a full meal however went for it anyway as it was obviously very popular judging by the amount of people eating. Most tables were taken and it is a big place. The carvery costs £7.50 for main course only or £12.50 for 3 courses. There were 3 choices of meat plus steak pie! I had the pie and it was packed full of good quality meat and my friend had the carvery and got plenty of each meat. There was a good choice of accompanying fresh veg too.

I would definitely recommend the New Wheatsheaf and if I lived nearer would go regularly!

Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Three of us went for my wife's birthday and as usual it was brilliant. Had the a la carte menu in the restaurant with the carvery service rather than the table service. We had a ribeye steak, fillet steak and Dutch chicken and my fillet steak was, without doubt, the best steak I can remember. Again, Angela was fantastic attending to our every needs, she runs everything so well and nothing is too much trouble.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

A personal family meal. Quick service, very friendly and helpful and polite. Food lots of choice. All had carvery, gorgeous food, good value for money. Dessert trolley too hard to resist. Highly recommend, spoilt for choice.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

It does not seem to be getting any better 20 years ago you had trouble booking as it was the place to eat but for me and this is only me and my wife's view is that the food has gone down hill we though we would give it another go as the last time we visited last oct the food was rubbish but it was the same if not worse the service you cannot fault at all the resturaunt really does need refurbishing the food was poor but it says it all as when we left after our meal which was 8.45 there was not a sole in the place