“Where is everybody?”

Ranked #4 of 101 Restaurants in Castleford
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The New Wheatsheaf in Castleford Carvery - Bar Meals & A La Carte Restaurant. We are a family owned and run bar and restaurant, with a strong belief in using the freshest local produce, for over 25 years, we have been catering for the people of Castleford and far beyond, offering a vast range of choice from simple, traditional pub food to our fantastic carvery menu using the best British produce.
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Got home from work Friday night and me and my wife decided to go out for something to eat and drink. Not wanting to travel too far we got a local taxi to 'The New Wheatsheaf',with the intention of eating then having a few drinks and maybe return home about 11.30 ish. I'm telling you all this because we were back home for 10.30 !! The pub was totally empty by 10pm with staff turning off lights etc so we left. Don't get me wrong I love the Wheatsheaf, always have. The food is VERY good, the pub itself is big, clean and comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I just don't understand why every Friday night the place just dies ! The Wheatsheaf is one of the best pubs in the 5 towns area, it's friendly, reasonably priced and you can drink their without risk of being thumped, swore at or trampled by chavs (much more than I can say for other pubs in the Normanton area) so why it's so empty on a Friday nights I have no idea. The owners/managers need to do some serious thinking, they are missing out on lots of Friday night 'cash' from people who like to go out for a 'safe' pint but stay at home because their aren't many 'nice' pubs locally.

1  Thank normy.lad
Grant A, Owner at The New Wheatsheaf, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Hey, many thanks for your review, we are also perplexed by the lack of custom on some Fridays... some weeks are very busy and others really quiet... even our great value fish night 2 x 2 course meals for less than £20 sometimes isn't enough to bring guests in?

I can’t believe how many people say “the Wheatsheaf, yea its great we used to go there all the time” We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your meals and hope to see you again soon, spread the word, we’re still here after 27 years providing the same great food and service we always have.

Thanks
Grant

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We first tried this restaurant in June, and since then have been back three times!.
There is a carvery with a wonderful choice of meats, at least four, plus extensive veg. and a salad bar.
You can have one, two or three of the meats on show, or just the one. The first time I had turkey and it was delicious, not at all dry, my husband and son had the beef and gammon which were also very tasty and cooked to perfection.
I cannot list all the veg. to choose from there are far too many, but all the ones we tried were lovely.
We booked again as eight of us go out for meals every couple of months, everyone was delighted with the food and service.
They have certain 'nights' for fish and chip night, quiz nights etc, when the food is cheaper but still as good and you can also choose the carvery or from the large menu as well.
If you like food, well cooked (five stars to the chefs) then try the Wheatsheaf, you will not be disappointed.
Saturday nights are very busy so I would say book in advance if you really want to be in the restaurant part, but you can still eat in the bar area if you wish.
I hope this restaurant/pub keeps up the excellent food at a very good price.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My son and daughter visited and i decided to take them for dinner at the Wheatsheaf as id heard people say in was nice.
We were told just to sit down and order at the bar, ok fine. not much choice of food, so we went for the carvery. This was very nice but think it was left overs from the carvery sunday lunch as yorkshire puds were rock hard and food wasnt particularly hot.
Then we ordered puddings, got 3 tickets. wasn"t told where to get them or anything. A waitress then told us the cheesecake i ordered was" from trolley" and other 2 were from kitchen.
Now it was a warm day and the trolley sweets were in plastic tower things with no refrigeration which as they were all cream cakes etc was odd.
I got my cheesecake and watery cream, both were warm and sloppy, so i left this, it wasn"t nice at all and i love cheesecake.
The warm puds weren"t much better. so in total i didn"t enjoy this meal and wont be revisiting - very disappointed with the food and the service ( sunday evening 11/8/13 )

Hi, thank you for your review... I’m sorry that you we’re disappointed with your visit....

I note that you say there wasn’t much choice on Sunday evening?
We offer our famous carvery that is served all day from 12noon until 8pm, our full range of bar meals including, starters, snacks, sandwiches, main courses, 12 for £12s, steaks and a la carte meals... Plus 8-10 specials of the day?

Regarding the desserts, All food tickets do have simple instructions printed on them guiding guests to either approach a member of staff for cold desserts or wait for hot desserts which will be served to your table, now I admit that not many customers actually read these ticket instructions or maybe your order was placed wrongly or maybe you weren’t given the proper information, this is very difficult to establish now

If you feel that our food isn’t up to standard, please speak to a member of staff, we are more than happy to resolve and food issues, these problems can be solved so easily I just cannot understand why people don’t offer us the chance to put thing right then go away and post complaints?

if you wish to respond, I'd be happy to discuss your comments please call 01977 553052 or email grant@wheatsheaf.com

Regards,
Grant Ackroyd

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Been a few times for the carvery,Tried the steak pie ,cant see by it ! Staff very friendly,nice relaxed atmosphere,had trouble with my bank card ,very helpful,will be back for defo !

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Called in for lunch and had two mains from the 2 for £12 menu.
I had the gammon which was very nicely cooked, moist without being underdone, the wife had a lasagne which she says was very nice.
Service was fine.
This place is nice enough but nothing extraordinary.
Really should go more often though as we only live 10 mins away.