“OK for the price”

The Winding Wheel
Ranked #44 of 101 Restaurants in Castleford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: At The Winding Wheel Harvester in Castleford food is fresh, full of flavour and just how you like it. Choose your tasty grill, sauce and side at our restaurant and we'll get cooking - while you head off to the famous Harvester salad bar to grab as much crisp, freshly prepared tasty salad as you like.About our Harvester restaurantIf you're looking for a family friendly restaurant in Castleford, there's nowhere more popular than Harvester. Close to Glasshoughton, Ferry Fryston and Whitwood, our restaurant is a great choice for anyone who loves tasty grills, indulgent desserts and eating out in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Plus we've loads of choices for young guests.
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is one of Mitchells & Butlers Harvester pubs. It's OK for the price, bearing in mind the free salad bar. We both had the chicken breast with a baked potato and peas which was OK. The chicken was moist and tasty and at £5.99, including as much salad as you can eat, was good value. The salad bar was well stocked with a good variety of items and gave you something to nibble on whilst the main meal was being prepared. My wife's Tonic Water at £1.35 was about average but I thought my Diet Pepsi at £2.40 was a little expensive. One thing I did like was the calories shown for each dish, good if you are on a diet. The staff were pleasant despite clearly being rushed off their feet.

Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at The Winding Wheel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to our Restaurant.
Best regards

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Greeting from manager was not exactly welcoming. The restaurant area was full of griddle smoke from the open plan kitchen. The table was sticky and the salad bar was messy. Food standard was what you would expect from a more down market establishment and did not represent value for money. My daughters pasta dish from the childrens menu was frightful. This was mentioned to the manager but she chose to ignore it. I also noticed that the aforementioned manager was cleaning tables so there was no point persueing this either. It honestly make me wonder if senior management in Harvester really care about how their restaurants are operated at a local level. Do they even care? Probably not - guests are a real pain. Lets face it all we do is generate income and profits for their company.

Harvester_Restaurant, Public Relations Manager at The Winding Wheel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your recent visit, and if you would care to contact us directly by email at harvester.reviews@gmail.com we will be happy to reply more fully.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited on a Saturday evening when the restaurant was busy. Just the two of us and we couldn't hear each other speak because we were seated near a loud party of thirteen. It would be better if parties of this size were seated in a separate area as they spoilt our enjoyment. The food was ok and it arrived fairly promptly in the circumstances.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent visit.
Best regards

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Was a little unhappy this time, the kids meal was fine but myself and my wife's chicken was cold and the corn on the cob was burnt not grilled.. I'm usually really happy with the food but we feel its slipped since the last time we eat here in 2012.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Went yesterday to the harvester, me and my partner ordered our food.
We got seated and the hostess told us cutlery will be on the way, 15 minutes later our order was taken then 20minutes later we recieved out cutlery.

Once our mains had arrived my food was cut lovely but my partners chicken was pink, light pink to start with but as he cut away it got darker pink. Once we told the waiter he agreed that the chicken wasnt edible so he went to the kitchen and got another chicken. My partner again started to cut the chicken most of this was edible but little bits were still pink and not edible.

Although we recieved this service, the waiter was a lovely man and more than helpful.