“Love this Restaurant”
Review of Shajan

Ranked #9 of 237 Restaurants in Blackburn
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We offer authentic, quality Indian Cuisine in Blackburn, Lancashire. Established in 1992 we have an unrivaled reputation for both quality and customer care. Whether you're looking for a venue for your next special occasion or quality Indian food - you'll always find a fast, friendly service waiting for you.Set in the picturesque Ribble Valley the Shajan is an award-winning restaurant. It started off as a small business holding only 96 customers. However its popularity lead to its gradual expansion over the years and it is now able to accommodate up to 205 customers. The restaurant itself is split into 3 rooms enabling it to cater for private parties and large functions without losing its intimacy or atmosphere. Its modern decor, luxurious setting and spacious car park have attracted a wide range of customers including celebrities, some of which arrive in helicopters. The chefs' come from all over South Asia, so the restaurant is able to offer a varied cuisine, and the large number of regular South Asian customers is a testament to the foods authenticity. We believe the restaurant's reputation is our best accolade as it is built purely on word of mouth. The Shajan's emphasis on quality, customer service and above all its continual drive for improvement, have all lead to its success.
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Been to this restaurant several times and the good is always good. For best value go on a Sunday for the meal deal before 5pm. The service is great and the food is always brilliant only found one Indian restaurant on par with this in England. The staff are always happy to wait in-between courses and this is one of my favourite restaurants.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner had a meal here last night and can honestly say that it was the worst restaurant we have ever visited. We had booked a table earlier in the week for 8pm. Arriving at 7:45 we were ushered into an extremely busy bar area. We understood this, as it was a Saturday night and ordered drinks. As we sat waiting, a menu was given to us and we assumed it was something to look at whilst we were waiting.
Around 5 minutes later a very stressed looking waiter approached us and asked if we were ready to order, which surprised us, as we were not informed that our order was to be taken in the bar area. We said we would like a couple more minutes and he turned away looking frustrated. Not long after a very friendly lady took our order and was knowledgeable about the menu.
We then sat waiting and waiting, watching the tables around us being taken to their tables. Around 8:40 (40 minutes after our table was booked for) we asked how long it would be before we would be seated and were told that it shouldn't be long. Eventually at 8:50 the stressed waiter from earlier came over to us and said 'there's a table ready, it's a big table but we'll have to give it to you'.
Feeling very unwelcome my partner and I made our way to the table and my partner asked this waiter if there was a chance anything could be taken off the bill, due to us waiting almost an hour for a table that we had booked. The waiter then began angrily shouting at my partner saying things like 'can you not see that we are trying our best?!' And 'don't you see how busy we are'. He also suggested that we were lying by saying 'you haven't been waiting that long, i started my shift at 8 and you weren't waiting'. He was quite aggressive. My partner sat down and remained calm as the waiter continued to be very confrontational. He then angrily asked 'do you even want this table?' At this point, we would have very gladly left the restaurant, however with it being almost 9pm there wouldn't be many places left open for us to eat.
Reluctantly we stayed and the poppadums arrived quickly. They were average, as we're the dips that accompanied them. We were constantly watched by a different waiter to check if we had finished and as soon as I had my last mouthful, the waiter took the plates. The angry waiter from earlier in the night brought the starters and once again began telling us how busy they were and then huffed and offered my partner a drink. He said he did not want one. The waiter then asked me and I asked him to please leave us to eat our meals, to which he answered 'what?!' I repeated myself and he said 'fine then', laughed and walked away.
At this point I felt very angry, so decided to go to the bathroom for a couple of minutes and when I arrived back to the table, the main meals had been placed on the table! Despite our starters having just arrived! Ridiculous.
The table of four next to us finished their starters and were asked if they'd like a break between courses. We did not get this treatment.
We were then rushed to finish all this food, as the waiters hovered around us and tried to take the plates whilst I was having a rest from eating.
The few positives of the night included: a friendly waiter visiting our table and being very polite, respectful apologetic. He gave us a complimetary drink for the upset. Also, the lovely lady who originally took our order.
We came to this restaurant from recommendation and will never return. We urge others to do the same, unless they want to be treated as badly as us.

6  Thank Ellen1993
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I know it's expensive, that not the point, the flavors in the food are not to my taste and I also don't feel comfortable here. This time tried something completely different as i was invited there and someone ele was paying. Didn't like it and will insist that next time we go cheap and cheerful on the curry front.

2  Thank David F
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The decor in this restaurant is fantastic very tastefully done and very clean also, the staff couldn't do enough for you, always making sure you have enough drinks and ensuring that your experience is as nice as possible. The starters were terrific, I went with a group of 4 and we all had different starters which were all fantastic. The main courses were very nice, not the best I have ever had but nice none the less. For those who like a curry very spicy then perhaps ask for more chilli as the dishes they stated were hot weren't particularly spicy. Another nice touch was, what I can only assume was the owners, walking around checking that everything was going smoothly and coming to the tables making sure everybody was enjoying themselves. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We ate here with friends on a Saturday evening.We prebooked a table which was just as well really.We were shown to a bar area which was absolutely packed with people.After waiting at the bar for an eternity we eventually asked the manager if we could have a drink.He spoke to the guy behind the bar and the drinks arrived.Very soon after we were shown to our table.I just got the impression they were rushing us from start to finish.After being told several times we were not ready to order we evntually ordered poppadums for a starter.They arrived literally within seconds!The main course followed straight afterwards ( we like a break between courses usually).The food was good but certainly not the best Indian food I have ever had.After we had finished our main course and it was obvious we didn't want a sweet the waiters started hovering round again,this made us feel uncomfortable as they obviously wanted us to leave.The whole meal from walking in to paying the bill took approx 90 minutes,certainly not wht I would class as a night out.
They have a minimun charge of £9 per person which I think is greedy.The clientel looked clicky and stuffy.This to me is the classic type of place where people go "to be seen".Very overrated!